“Great diving experience!” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Certificate of Excellence 2014
More attraction details
Owner description: Everyone needs some adventure in their lives! Jack's Diving Locker in Kailua-Kona, on the Big Island of Hawaii is the place to go for that adventure. Join our experienced staff on one of our premier dive boats for two-tank dives, Advanced 2 & 3 tank scuba dive trips, Dolphin and Whale watches, the Pelagic Magic Night Dive and the world famous Manta Ray Night Dive and Snorkel! As a PADI 5 Star IDC Resort we have the Big Island's widest range of scuba diving options and the best range of classes and courses, from beginner introductory dives to Instructor training. We also have the Big Island's Best Dive Shop with the friendliest service on the Big Island of Hawaii. So the next time you plan a diving vacation give Jack's Diving Locker a call to help you plan your Hawaii diving vacation.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children
Cleveland, Ohio
“Great diving experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

My wife and I just returned from two weeks in Hawaii. We visited both Maui and the Big island. On Maui we dove with Ed Robinson's Diving Adventures and as usual we had a great time both below and above the surface. Ed's crew does a great job of taking care of his clients.

On the Big Island we did our diving with Jack's Diving Locker. The diving was terrific. We had to be one of the luckiest groups ever because our night dive with Great Mantas was a private showing. Jack's boat was the only boat at the dive site and we were given a private show of at least a dozen and probably closer to two dozen of some the most beatiful creatures "flying" in the ocean. A surreal moment. We dove several times with Jack's crew and they did a wonderful job. Everyone we came into contact with were extremely helpful and considerate. I would point out one individual in particular, Peter M, he was our guide on many of our dives. His enthusiasm regarding diving is always present in his demeanor as well as his sincere interest in you having a great experience. We did! and thank you.

Visited March 2013

• Korean first
“Awesome Dive Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013 via mobile

Best dive operation my wife and I have ever experienced! Extremely well organized with professional dive masters and instructors. The boats are well organized with things like a line to hang your sunglasses on, tables for dive cameras and warm water showers for rinsing off afterward. The crew does everything: sets up gear, cleans gear, serves sandwiches and of course lots of COOKIES! We would recommend this shop for fun dives or your next training experience. My wife and I just completed our Rescue Diver Course with Mark... he was a fantastic instructor. Thanks Jack's!!

Madison, Wisconsin, United States
“Awesome Dive Shop”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

We loved Jack's Diving Locker. We spent 3 days with them on our recent visit to Hawaii doing both snorkeling and diving. The shop has everything you need either to rent or buy, if you desire, and the staff was great both in the store and on the boats.

We did the Manta night snorkel. We have two young boys, ages 8 and 10, and they did a great job interacting with our kids. We spent the next two days snorkeling and diving. My 10 year was completing his dive certification at Jack's and they were excellent at working with him and keeping it all organized. They also allowed my younger son to snorkel since he wasn't old enough to go diving and we were all on the same boat.

I emailed the shop prior to our arrival to ask questions and reserve our spots and they responded very quickly! Sometimes when you send an email you never know if you will hear back or not! It was never more than a day to hear back from them.

Visited February 2013
Indpls., IN
46 attraction reviews
“One stop shop”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

Booked dates ahead of arrival after reading reviews on TripAdvisor and getting a recommendation from someone we knew on the island. The shop is located in town (Kailua-Kona) and easy to find with lots of parking around. My buddy and I checked in the evening before our first dive to complete the paperwork and drop off our gear. As it turned out my buddy left his PADI card at home. It is a card that is old enough that no certification number was on the card, so his number could not be looked up. To make a long story short, the options were for a copy of his card to get faxed to the shop before the dive by a family member who had access to his home, or I would sign a waiver taking responsibility for him. As a tip, I have a picture of my card on my iphone in case I do forget my card.

Our gear was put into bags (bc/reg in clamshell and neoprene in mesh bag) with identification numbers. We dove 3 days and did the manta ray snorkel trip and each time we went out our gear was ready for us.

Having completed the paperwork ahead of time, we had the option of meeting at the dive shop for a ride to the Honokohau Harbor or to meet the group at the harbor. Because Jack's checks first time divers in at their shop in the morning - they say to be there at 8:30 - we opted to meet at the harbor. The staff is very accommodating and allowed us to ride back to the shop on a day when our wives were shopping.

Jack's Diving Locker has several boats, that are large and well maintained with a hot water hose to rinse off. The dive sites we visited were no more than 15-20 minute rides unless, as ours did, the crew takes you whale watching. The crew was knowledgeable, helpful, and personable.

The routine was the same each day: divers arrived at the harbor around 9:00 (they have a small shop at the harbor), the crew was preparing dive gear and when finished, gave a boat briefing before allowing divers to board. The staff/crew are very relaxed and don't rush to get you out and back in. The earliest we entered the water on our 3 days of diving was 9:55. Usually back about 2-2:30. They will give you time to view (and purchase) video that one of the dive masters took on the dives before returning to the shop in town.

Whether you used a computer or not, it seemed to me you could stay down as long as your air held out. As a non-computer diver, I stayed down 53-59 min each dive with maximum depths between 58-80 ft. Our surface intervals were approximately 1 1/2 hrs and included a very good sandwich, cookies, and water/juice. We had 3 dive masters each day and the largest group was 5 divers. No matter which boat (2 ladders vs one) we were on, getting in and out of the water seemed to go smoothly. Best dive of the trip - saw approx. 100 dolphins - amazing!

Also did the night manta ray snorkeling trip. Picked up our wetsuits from dive shop, met at the harbor, and had a great time. The price includes all gear. Can't say if it's best to scuba or snorkel this adventure (we snorkeled because of a non-diver in our group), but sure wasn't disappointed. The manta rays will come very close to brushing against you (and may actually touch you.) Again as with the diving, our crew/guide was very relaxed and time didn't seem to be an issue (we did a little whale watching on the way to the manta ray site.) Our guide was good about maneuvering us to where he thought we would continue to see the mantas. It was a great night and one of the best activities we did on our trip. Cookies and water/juice were provided for snorkelers.

Would recommend Jack's Diving Locker.

Visited February 2013
7 attraction reviews
“Fabulous dive shop”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013 via mobile

I have been diving with Jack's for many years for multiple dives and every year my dive experience is awesome. I cannot recommend them enough.