“Lovely” 5 of 5 stars

Good for: Romance, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Bismarck, ND
“Lovely”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

We ate at Huggo's in January, 2013, can't believe I forgot to write a review! We were walking to town and passed Huggo's in the afternoon. A truck pulled up with a HUGE ahi and my husband said 'we're eating there tonight'...so we did. We did not have a reservation, but got there fairly early. The hostess was so nice, she had us wait for a bit so we could have "their best table" which was on a corner of the covered deck area overlooking the ocean and within earshot of Huggo's on the Rock's live music. It was beautiful! My husband had the ahi, I believe I had mahi-mahi and we shared dessert. Food, location, atmosphere, waiter, hostess...all were amazing. We will return again in January 2014.

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

75% Recommend
  • Korean first
Santa Fe, NM
“One of our favorite places in Kona”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

We always go to Huggo's when we visit Kona. This time we were staying within easy walking distance which made it even better as parking is limited. The highlights for us are the view, and the Hula pie for dessert. We weren't disappointed on this trip.

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Rochester, New York
“Actually...Huggo's”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

We had dinner at Huggo's, next door to the more casual, bar like atmosphere of Huggo's on the Rocks ( which had a band playing live music that Saturday night). Huggo's is by the water and we were seated outside , the beach right beside us. There was a nice breeze and the sound of the gentle waves lapping on the rocks were soothing. We watched some fisherman night fish sphering, their headlamps like little lighthouses!
Our very entertaining and knowledgeable waitstaff explained in detail the specials of the night and also told us which was the most popular dish. It was very helpful. We ordered a bottle of red wine from chile. I ordered the popular fettucini in garlic cream sauce with the fresh fish "catch of the day" for an extra $12.00. Worth it! The sauce was tasty but light and the fish, mild and flaky and cooked perfectly. My Hubby ordered their most popular dish, the teriyaki beef. It was a skirt steak marinated in teriyaki sauce. It was cooked very tender, juicy and very good, paired with wild rice and fresh steamed vegetables. My son ordered the bouillabaisse . It came by itself in a shallow bowl with a couple of clams, shrimps, mussels and half a lobster tail. The broth was very tasty and delicate. It was delicious he said but it left him still hungry! My other son ordered the catch of the day. A medium firm white fish cooked simply and paired with a black "forbidden rice"! He really liked it and we all had to try the black rice just because it sounded so exotic! They tried a coffee cheese cake, a generous portion! And a chocolate cake.
The food was very good and the atmosphere and location was awesome. The food came at a good phase. I recommend going here.

Visited September 2013
Arvada, Colorado
“Not worth it...Go next door to Huggo's on the Rocks”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

Went to Huggo's on the Rocks the night before because Huggo's was not open yet. Came back next night and went to Huggo's. The hostess was very rude because we didn't have reservations even though the place was empty and never did fill up the entire time we stayed there. She seated us at a table right next to the kitchen where it was so hot we couldn't stay. Asked to move and she reluctantly did. The food was nothing special. I had the ribs which were soaked in heavy barbecue sauce and the slaw underneath was awful. My colleague ordered a Japanese style meal which was all served in one box and was not visually appealing. All expensive and not worth it. Will not go back.

• Visited August 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Scottsdale, Arizona
“We will never be back!!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

From the moron at the hostess desk to the overworked sole bar server that had to take care of 50 diners, it was a nightmare.

We really looked forward to going back to Huggo's where we had dined dozens of times in the past, but not in the last ten years. We arrived early for our reservation and was told that the dining room would not be open for about ten minutes, but to have a drink in the bar. I told the hostess that we really wanted a table along the ocean front and she assured me that it would not be a problem. After a 45 minute wait I approached the hostess desk and was led to an inside table next to three screaming kids and adults that could care less. I tried to reason with the hostess, but she blew me off. We walked out and will never go back.

• Visited August 2013