“amazing food” 5 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #5 of 233 Restaurants in Kailua-Kona
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Romance, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Banff, Canada
“amazing food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

omg .. one of the best restaurants in kona.. the food is amazing, i recommend this restaurant to every tourist that i deal with, locals know all the good spots and this is by far one of the best in town

Visited December 2012

Kailua-Kona, Hawaii, United States
“My Favorite Kona Restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

As a local resident of Kona, I frequently visit Jackie Rey's to meet with friends and family for fine dining in a comfortable, relaxed atmosphere. The Hawaiian decor adds to the charm and uniqueness of the restaurant. The owners, hostess, bartenders, wait staff and the chef all give you their undivided attention with their only goal to be sure you are pleased with every aspect of your dining experience. The food, especially the fish, is fresh, high quality product prepared to perfection. The menu changes every now and then and its great to try their new dishes as well as having my favorites. This is my very favorite restaurant in Kona for lunch, dinner and happy hour. No ka oi !!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Colorado Springs, Colorado
“Not a bad experience, but definitely not stellar!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

I think our experience at this restaurant is a cautionary tale about using TripAdvisor to find really good restaurants. We wanted to take my mother-in-law to someplace special here in Kona, so I got on Trip Advisor and went through the reviews. Jackie Rey's Ohana Grill had such a high rating and such good review that we chose it for one of our five nights out here.

We were disappointed. It has the atmosphere of a sports bar combined with a downscale patio restaurant. There's no glass on the windows, which would be fine except for the fact that there's nothing to look at except a parking lot, and the absence of windows seems to trigger people to engage their outside voices. It was so loud with everyone in the restaurant talking at full volume (over a sound system cranked way up) that we finally gave up trying to shout conversation to each other.

The food wasn't all that good, either. My ribeye steak was overly chewy and cut thin, like you'd see on a diner's steak-and-eggs breakfast plate. None of the rest of our party was overly-thrilled with their food, either. And, at the prices they charge ($28.95 for my steak), it seems reasonable to expect genuinely good food.

What I've learned from this and similar experiences is that you CAN generally rely on TripAdvisor to steer you AWAY from a really bad experience, but you CAN'T rely on it to steer you TOWARD a really great experience.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Colorado Springs, Colorado
“Kona's most over-rated restaurant?”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

Kona's most over-rated restaurant? Could be. Good enough in a pinch, not so bad that you need to avoid it - just very average and not the four and five star place these reviews would indicate. Methinks Jackie Rey has had her entire ohana on Trip Advisor pumping up the reviews.

Decent food. I had the fresh fish (ono) sandwich. For $17 for a sandwich I expected more fish on the bun - and, for that matter, at that price you expect more than a diner-style Wonder Bread bun! My son's catch of the day (mahi mahi) and my mom's fish and chips (ono) were also pretty small portions. Only my wife's rib-eye was a restaurant sized portion. The french fries that came with my fish sandwich could have been straight from an Ore-Ida freezer bag. Nothing horribly wrong with anything, just really pretty "average" for a place that gets such reviews.

The place is LOUD. All the surfaces are hard - tiled floor, low ceiling, heavily painted sheetrock walls - and one side of the restaurant opens to Kuakini highway and the parking lot. The decor wasn't what we expected either. Jackie Rey's Ohana Cafe sounds like grandmother's kitchen, or, at the very least, a comfortable family place, but, this place is kind of an art deco Tiki Bar, with every kind of bad tourist travel poster imaginable slapped on the walls and, no kidding, a woven mat wrapped around the bar. Now, if this is what you want, you are going to be very, very happy. If you want to carry on a conversation without shouting at one another, or being drowned out by the other patrons, I'd suggest you try some place else.

The best aspect of this place is the service team. The hostess and waitress team are bright, cheerful, attentive and eager to be sure you get your order and get it right. We let them know we were headed to a movie after dinner, and they were great about getting us out on time.

Would we go back? Only in a pinch. Kona has much better to offer.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Madison
“The best Christmas dinner!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

We went to Jackie Rey's for Christmas dinner. There was a special (and higher priced) Christmas menu that was wonderful. I ordered the Mahi-Mahi, my son and husband both ordered the filet mignon and my other son ordered the rack of lamb. Each meal was delicious with a generous amount of fresh, perfectly prepared food. The drinks and desserts were also wonderful. The waiter was very helpful, wisely guiding me in both my main meal and dessert choice selections.

This is now my favorite restaurant on the Big Island. I would take this excellent food over the view in ocean front Kona anyday (read my review of the Kona Inn for more on that).

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere