“Terrific experience” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 4 Attractions in Kalaupapa
Type: Hiking Trails, Tours, Adventure
Activities: Horseback riding
More attraction details
Owner description: A two hour mule ride down an 1800 foot cliff to Kalaupapa Peninsula.
Seattle WA
“Terrific experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

As a non-equestrian, I felt more safe on this ride than in an car ride on a congested freeway. The muleskinners were tops and helpful. The views were fantastic... the tour of Kalapapa thoughtful and peaceful. Lunch is very basic, take snacks if you want better fare.

Visited November 2012

10 attraction reviews
“Molokai mule trip to Kaulapapa”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

This was quite an adventure. We traveled with another couple to Molokai and booked our mule trip online prior to arrival. We had all read the historical fiction book Molokai by David Brennart and decided we had to see this place. My hubby is not a fan of heights, so he spent the day exploring the island. The views on the trail are amazing, and the beach at the bottom of the trail is beautiful. Put your trust in the mules, they know what they are doing. I was not nervous at all, but one of my friends found it a bit scary. Going down was a bit more jarring than the trip back up. My backside was a bit sore for a couple days following the trip. There are still a handful of patients that live in Kaulapapa, but most were away on a trip to Europe for the cannonization of Sister Mary. Our tour was full of facts and history regarding the leper colony and we were able to go into the churches and other buildings. Such a heart wrenching story, but also one of hope and the strength of the human spirit. I would recommend this trip to anyone looking to learn more about the history of this area, wanting to try a new adventure by mule, or just explore and see some amazing scenery.

Visited October 2012
Austin, Texas
33 attraction reviews
“What a Ride!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

My wife and I like "reasonable adventure" which means that we are not going to climb Mount Everest (or Mount Rainer for that matter) but we love finding challenges that fit into our late 50's lifestyle - and the Molokai Mules Rides hit the spot! The journey itself is incredible, down the switch-backs going and coming, but the views, and most importantly the destination are the true reward. To sit in a church built by Father Damien, and hear a true "leper" tell her story of redemption was an inestimable reward. Eating lunch at the most beautiful setting ever, juxtaposed with the suffering and redemption found there was one of the most profound experiences of our lives - GO!

Visited July 2012
Berthoud, Colorado
7 attraction reviews
“Great Experience - even for those with height issues!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

Let me start by saying how much fun this trip was! It was a great experience!! Then let me say that I definately have issues with heights (mountain roads in my home state of Colorado can definately freak me out and send me cowering into the corner of the car!), but this ride did not do that at all. Even though you descend about 1800 feet on a Hawaiian cliff face with 26 switchbacks on a mule, there are trees and vegatation next to you the entire time, so that "oh my God, I'm going over the edge of the cliff" feeling is just not there. So don't be afraid to take this awesome adventure ride just because you are afraid of heights!

Others have written in length about the trip, so I will just say that we thoroughly enjoyed it and got to see a part of Molokai that is truly beautiful in spite of it's tragic past. Roy and his crew were extremely professional and helpful and gave us a wonderful day to remember!

San Francisco, CA
5 attraction reviews
“So fun I'd do it again!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

I'd love it if people who post here would say what they and their mules had in common. Their site says that karma, luck, and looks will pair you with your mule (seemingly at random), and naturally, my mule kept wandering off course to eat, just like me.

I had no problem adjusting to the ride, and I also had no issue with the mule walking so close to the edge. I am a fairly average (but not vigorous) hiker, and have no fear of falling over the edge, so your miles may vary. On the other hand, one thing that did make me nervous about the ride was the occasional slip or stumble my mule would have on those smooth, round rocks. This was not a big problem though (and no one in our group fell or had any injuries at all), and my only real concern was my poor sweating mule, having to cart me all the way up the cliff. The mules clearly know what they are doing - my own mule was standing at the gate for both trips, ready to go, while others were still being picked out.

I don't think the hike, either up or down, is very strenuous, but I'd rather take the mule ride just to avoid the piles of crap the mules leave behind. It's just not something I'd like to slip on, or put my hand down on. That said, the hikers went ahead of the riders, with about a 20 minute head start while we were setting up and were already waiting by the time we arrived at the bottom; on the way up, we passed a fairly fit looking couple resting at approximately halfway point. Riding the mule was so much fun - if I ever find myself on Moloka'i again (and I surely plan to), I'd love to take this tour again.

The tour of the colony itself was beautiful, haunting, and memorable. What made it most interesting though, was Buzzy (the mule ride leader) and his stories and personal accounts of history. He loved to crack jokes but paid all due respect to all the residents and former residents' memories. His boys on the ride were also well informed and friendly, giving advice when asked and generally nice to have around.

This package is worth every penny. Take the mule ride, relax, and absorb history of Kalaupapa. You won't regret it.

Visited September 2012