“Best Restaurant in Twenty Nine Palms” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Bistro
Good for: Doing business, Special occasions, Romantic, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Phoenix
“Best Restaurant in Twenty Nine Palms”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2010

Just got back from a trip to Joshua Tree national Park and we stayed in Twenty Nine Palms. This is the closest you get to fine dining in the area. It's not perfect, but still better than any other option if you want a relaxed meal and a nice glass of wine. The menu was somewhat limited and a bit of a disappointment at first glance. After looking it over a bit both my wife and I found entrees that appealed to us. We were not disappointed.
We started by splitting a large house salad at $8, but a small one for $5 would have been enough. I then had chicken picatta over angel hair pasta and my wife had chicken with sun dried tomatoes and penne in a cream sauce (both about $18). A very nice bottle of zinfandel set us back $22. This was not cheap, but still a reasonable value given the quality of the food.
When evaluating a restaurant on Trip Advisor I tend to disregard the reviews on both extremes. In this case please don't be swayed by the one star rating. What they described was certainly not the restaurant I dined in.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Twentynine Palms
“SUCKS”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2010

Big! Big! disapointment! Prices way to high for what you get. They claim to have a chef I think his name was Chef Boyardee because everything tasted like it came out of a can. Service was labored. Staff was snooty and seemed like they did'nt want to be bothered. It was our anniversary and just wanted to enjoy ourselves have some good food and wine and that did'nt happen.They claim to be " fine dining" but they are far from it.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Woodbridge, Virginia
“bistro 29 palms”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2009

I have been looking for a place to eat here in 29 palms that is consistant and not horrible. I have eaten at many of the other restaurants but this one takes the cake. The service was great. The bread that was served to the table was warm and moist and delicious. The food was spot on and looked great. The atmosphere was comfortable and relaxing. I had the best halibut fish fry that i have ever tasted, followed by some great chocolate cake. I was surprised to find out that the fish is shipped from alaska, and all of the food is make or marinated in the restaurant. It is great to have a place to go that doesn't serve a lot of processed foods. I look foreward to coming back again soon. I also got a chance to talk to the chef who was very kind and told me that the menu is expanding to include a couple of more vegetarian dishes. Exciting. For a great experience i would definitely recommend taking your friends and family out to the bistro for dinner.

California
“Bistro Twentynine”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2009

New restaurant in Twentynine Palms - excellent food and the wine list has a great selection of wines by the glass. All the staff very friendly, although the service a little uneven - not as attentive as they could have been. I would've had another glass of wine if someone had asked!

We heard about this restaurant from a fellow hiker in Joshua Tree National Park, and it was certainly a great suggestion!

The decor is warm and modern - when you walk in, you swear you are in a more metropolitan area, not the desert.

We had a late dinner, so shared several dishes, including the gingered calamari to start with- a yummy variation on traditional calamari appetizer. The pork chop was grilled to perfection with mashed sweet potatos that we fought over! We also had the mac and cheese - really one of the best I've had in recent memory. Dessert was a hard choice, but we split the panna cotta, which was a good choice for ending our late night feast.