“Not bad for a 3 Star” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 19 Hotels in Soll
London, England
“Not bad for a 3 Star”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

Just got back 23/3/13. I can see everybody's point of view here. Spot on about the short stroll into the centre, and easy to pick up a ski bus to the gondola if you can't be bothered to walk it. Definitely worth using the ski/boot store at Edinger sports under the lift station for 12 Euros each over 6 days. It was the last week for the Modlinger before they reopen in mid-May and it showed a bit. The fire in the bar was lit on the Saturday we arrived (16/3) but that was it. The bar was never manned after that night. We asked for the heating to be turned up in our room and we had a Basil Fawlty moment with Herr Modlinger (see previous reviews). It did warm up later in the week but that was more likely due to the resort warming up. One half of our "Austrian Twin" bed creaked more than a Victorian staircase and the mattress was pretty well gone. The bathroom had some mould on the ceiling. The room had a balcony with good views, was a decent size, was always clean and the TV had Sky News. Breakfast as per other views was basic but OK. Hard boiled eggs always available but never any other type which would have been so easy to do. Evening meals were pretty OK actually with good service and the fondue sharing night with another couple was perfectly pleasant. Overall it was fine and almost warrants a very good considering everything.

Room Tip: We had a corner room (114) which had good views but was a bit cold for a couple of days maybe due to...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Holmfirth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

We were a group of 7 and enjoyed an excellent stay. The rooms were warm, clean, spacious and we had great views from the balconies. Only a 5 min walk to the centre of Soll. Lovely position.
The owner Herbert, his wife and all the staff were very helpful and friendly.
The breakfast and meals were of a good quality. There is a choice of mains, and a vegetarian option, despite what previous reviews say.
Nice bar area with open fire.
I honestly cannot understand some of the gripes of some of the reviewers. This is a great value hotel. I have paid double the price of this holiday and had poorer quality rooms and food.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Glasgow, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

Location - 5 mins walk to centre, 15 mins walk to lift, bus stop outside.
Staff - efficient and polite.
Rooms - standard clean and roomy Austrian.
Breakfast - adequate. Toast, rolls, cereal, hard boiled eggs, yoghurt. That was it.
Dinner - tasty but no choice of main. They are great at doing pork.
Wine - a choice of "red" or "white": I liked them both though.
Boot room - was cold. Worth usiing the ski store at lift (not expensive).
Bar - fine: typical modest hotel bar.

Overall: Clean and well run but food and drink limited in choice.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reading
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

Clean, comfortable rooms and friendly helpful staff who made a special effort to cook Gluten free dishes for our friend. Generally an excellent choice of hotel for the price. We were in a group of 14 and really enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

Just returned from the Moedlinger. I found the welcome friendly, the staff helpful and the food good. Mr Moedlinger was patient when we faffed around with the safe and was courteous throughout the week.
We particularly enjoyed the typically Tyrolean fondue evening and appreciated the great cheese board which was offered every evening.
There was some noise from the road in the early hours as they cleared the snow which woke me on a few occasions (It was snowing heavily and we kept the window open at night). All in all I enjoyed my stay and would definitely return.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

Right.... First of all, the food in this place is completely bizarre. Every evening it is soup, followed by a peculiar salad course and then the main. There are only two choices of main meal, so if you don't like either then you're on your own. Quite often during our stay the hotel ran out of various items and our soup was served tepid at least twice. The actual main courses are very peculiar - slices of roast beef served with pasta and jam.

Anyway, the rooms are basic but functional. Our bathroom ceiling was covered in mould and when we used up all the soap and shower gel it was not replaced, so we had to walk into town to buy some more.

The beds themselves are ridiculously hard - almost like sleeping on a plank of wood. I can honestly say that during my week long visit here I did not get a proper nights sleep once.

The best thing about the hotel is Kevin and Sarah, who are a lovely couple that work behind the bar or in the restaurant. They were always keen to help and very friendly.

The owner of the hotel seems to spend all his time watching the TV and is quite hard to locate during the day and evening.

Would I stay here again? No.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Great Malvern, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

When we first arrived the whole of the reception area was empty nobody about at all. We rang and rang and rang the bell but know one! My hubby had to search the hotel for a member of staff even going into the kitchens! Finally he found Mr Moedlinger with no apolgy he came down to reception and said he was watching the skiing on tv!
He then told us that we had to put our skis straight into the boot room. We told him we had clothes wrapped around them and we would bring them straight down as we unpacked he said no and made us unpack them in reception!!! How rude is that! I did inform him that I would be taking them to my room to pack for the journey home so don't even go there! He tried the same trick with our boots but by then I was having none of it I told him I weould bring them down when ready.
One of the evenings in the hotel is fondue evening and we came down to dinner and Mr Moedlinger (Basil Fawlty!) told us ,yes told us we had to sit with another couple (complete strangers!) as he did not have enough fondues. I told him absolutely not if I wanted to do that I would have stayed in a chalet! He never apologised and we never ate that night.
I think this owner has forgotten who the customer is and is set in his own little world. The hotel is very very pleasant but has absolutely no atmosphere and you get the feeling he doesnt really want you there.
Reception is like the Mary Celeste there is never ever anyone there so you can gain no information your keys sit there unguarded so anyone can come along and take you key. The bar never has anyone in it and there is never any apre ski coffee etc.
I get the feeling he just wants your money without the service. His staff are nice and the food was good but a bit repetative but I would not stay here again absolutely no atmosphere and no quality of service!!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Moedlinger Hotel & Sport? Share your experiences!