“Lovely hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 19 hotels in Soll
London, United Kingdom
“Lovely hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

Stayed at the Postwirt 8th Feb. for a week's skiing; great place to stay. Clean, well-run, friendly & helpful staff, food excellent in both choice & quality. The Wellness Centre & pool were a wonderful place to relax after a day on the slopes. Our room was large, modern with separate shower room & WC. Everything we needed, thanks to all at the Postwirt Hotel - we'll be back.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
ThePostwirt, Inhaber at Postwirt, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
Dear Sandra,
Servus from Austria

we are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and
had a great holiday.

We are looking forward welcoming you next winter again.

237 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

We have been using the Postwirt Hotel in Soll for many years and it is without doubt the best place to stay in Soll. The location is excellent near all the facilities you will need. The rooms have all been refurbished and are of a very high standard. The food is excellent and the service from the friendly and helpful staff matches the food. The spa area has been rebuilt this year and is now top class. The biggest plus is that this hotel has a lovely Austrian atmosphere to it and the staff will make you feel at home in no time.

If you like apres ski with some live music then make your way to the small bar in the old part of the hotel ( The Postwirt has a very old posting inn connected to the modern hotel just take the side door through the hotel bar and you will find a lovely old inn) there you will find live music from Frog on the Tyne or The Bloodshot Eyes two English bands who will get you in party mood. This isn't heavily advertised so check with reception which nights they will be playing.

Top tip avoid the ski bus at very busy times and take a taxi to the ski lift or maybe take a taxi ride to Sheffau and ski back to Soll. The taxi fare is not expensive and its quick and comfortable. The hotel reception will arrange a taxi for you. It takes all the hard work out of getting to the lifts in a morning. You can ski back to Soll at night through the nursery slope and across the fields right to the edge of town. You will come out next to the Salvenstaddle pub where you are sure to enjoy some excellent apres ski at the end of your day skiing.
If you are a reasonable skier then ski over to Ellmau and take the run to the bottom so you can ride back on the railway, its a great run down.
Finally if you are worried about having enough snow in Soll we have been skiing here for over 30 years and have never had problems with snow. Today they have enough snow making capability to cover all the runs and the lift system is one of the best anywhere. We ski all over Europe and Canada and Soll will stand up to any other resort. For an all round holiday with good skiing, excellent hotel, and great apres ski there is nowhere better. Believe me we have looked!!

Room Tip: All the rooms are of a very high standard. Rooms at the back look out over the mountains. I would be...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Richard,
Servus from Austria

thank you for your nice review about Hotel Postwirt and the staff.
With pleasure I will pass it on to the rest of the team.

We are looking forwart welcoming you again next winter.

Norwich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

My wife and I spent a week in the Postwirt whilst skiing at the begining of February, The hotel staff were all so friendly and helpful, our room was large and modern with a lovely shower and seperate toilet, it was located on the second floor at the back of the hotel and had views over the village and the mountains behind. We made good use of the spa facilities with it's three different saunas, steam room and swimming pool. The saunas are Austrian rules (Naked) but most people wrap themselves in a towel. Breakfast was the normal cereal, cheeses, meats, etc. there was a hot choice of boiled or scrambled eggs with bacon or sausage. Evening meals consisted of a salad buffet for starters (which had a lot of choices), a soup course, the main meal (4 choices which you picked 1 of at breakfast time), a pudding and then a cheese course. We couldn't fault any meal on quality or quantity. The hotel is located right in the centre of the village with a stop outside for the ski bus to the gondla station where we had left our boots and skis in their store for the week (24 euros). We always walked back (took about 10 mins) after skiing to be welcomed back at the hotel with a snack to go with a beer from the bar.
The skiing in Soll was great for me a confident intermediate but for my wife, who is a beginner the area above Scheffau was much better as I took her there on our last day by bus (2 euros 60 cent) and she loved it.
If you stay at the Postwit I am sure you will enjoy it and enjoy Soll however if you are skiing beginners you may want to consider a Hotel in Scheffau.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear "wellyelly",
Servus from Austria

we are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay at hotel Postwirt and
had a good time skiing in Söll or Scheffau.

We wish you all the best and hope to welcoming you again at hotel Postwirt
Kind regards,
Portmahomack, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

We were a group of 8 adults staying at the Postwirt from 19 to 26 January. We really enjoyed our stay and would happily stay again if returning to Soll. We were welcomed by friendly and efficient reception staff. Our rooms were spacious and very clean with views over the back of the hotel grounds and onto the mountain. They were recently refurbished and we had no bath, just a shower which for us was fine. The breakfast was very good with a wide range of everything that you come to expect on a skiing holiday in Austria. Dinner was also good each evening, the salad buffet was excellent..... probably the tastiest I've experienced (hard not to over-indulge at the stage!) There was a nice atmosphere in this hotel, created by happy guests and friendly, helpful staff. Soll is a nice little town linking into a huge ski area although for beginners the terrain is limited in the Soll area itself (fine if you are in ski school the whole time though I guess). There is plenty for beginners at neighbouring and lift linked Sheffau although getting there on skis may prove a bit tricky for those who are less confident. It is not far by taxi which costs between 12 and 18 euros depending on party size and there is a public bus (not free) which goes daily via Sheffau too. The lift station in Soll is a 5-10 minute walk from the village although there is provision for leaving skis and boots at the lifts if desired (there is a charge). There is also a free ski bus service from the village to the lifts if you don't want to walk. We enjoyed our holiday in the Ski Welt and would happily return.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Dear "Fraser Group"!
Servus from Austria

thank you for your nice words and we are happy to hear
that you had a good week at hotel Postwirt to
celebrate the "special occassion".

We are looking forward welcoming you again at hotel Postwirt.
Best regards,
team
North Bucks
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

I'd read many TA reviews about this hotel in the run up to our stay there. The hotel had been chosen for us, with no input from me and that always makes me a little reticent. Some reviews criticised the staff, while others took issue with the quality of the hotel itself, saying that it doesn't deserve its star rating. I find it very hard to say one way or the other on that. I think the 'star rating' given by TA reviewers should be based more on the experience they have had than a dry analysis of the hotel's features and how many boxes it manages to tick.

We were lucky enough to have Christmas at the Postwirt and I can honeslty say that the whole experience was enjoyable from start to finish. We arrived late-ish at night and were tired and somewhat jaded and yet the staff on duty managed to 'process' the 20 or so new arrivals promptly and courteously and we were shown to our room. The room was clean, functional without being austere and did everything we needed it to. If I had a complaint it would be that it was very warm indeed (as most of our party found - all staying on the first floor). However, once we had turned off the heating and cleared the hot air by opening the window it settled down and was no problem thereafter. Our rooms were not 'tired', as has been said by others and the bathroom had all the various gels and things you would expect, as well as a very effective hairdryer (big thanks from my wife). The quality of telly was pretty poor, but then it is everywhere, so you can't really blame the hotel.

Breakfast was very well catered for. We enjoyed the buffet and the various different foods and cereals on offer. Some of the more choice bits did seem to run out and not get replenished, but that didn't bother us much as we tended to be down fairly early for breakfast before our day's Ski and Boarding lessons. The hotel is excellently located for the Ski-Bus or a short and pleasant walk up to the ski garage and gondola station. Soll is a pretty village and very pedestrian-friendly. I'd say the ski station is too far to walk in ski boots, but then so is the end of the bed! In walking boots though it was a 10 minute stroll with some excellent retail and refreshment distractions along the way.

Meals other than breakfast were good and wholesome. I am sure they were a little more limited for Vegans, but then perhaps Austria is a bad choice if that is your thing? We found the food to be plentiful and for the most part well cooked and hearty. It's not haute-cuisine, but then after hours in the fresh air, that is probably not what you are looking for in any case. Staff were all very helpful and could not have been more polite or attentive.

The bar area was very lively (I mean that in a very positive sense). Stefan may only look like a 12-year old, but he is an excellent barman and host and always looked after us wonderfully. The afternoon food laid on in the bar area was gratefully received when we were back early enough to get it and the bar life started then and went through until bed beckonned. Everyone staying at the hotel seemed to be having a good time and the entire atmosphere was very easy.

I did have a look at the pool and spa, but that is honestly not my thing. I'd say the pool looked abit small, but others in my party enjoyed it and also massages, which I also avoided.

We stayed on the opposite side to the famous Whiskey Mhule. Our kids did enjoy the bar and told tails of the good times they had there, but it did not disturb our sleep. The gritting lorries can disturb, yes, but I am not a terribly good sleeper and it really didn't bother me. I was so exhausted fromt he skiing and activities in the bar that the excellent bed was all I needed to drift off till the morning.....

I think that a hotel such as this one scores on how it makes you feel. I came away from the Postwirt feeling as if I had been a family guest over Christmas. I was always made to feel very welcome and nothing was too much trouble, like the smaller pillow I requested for my terrible neck, or the little presents that all guests received on Christmas Eve or the manner in which Stefan was always on had to take orders without being in-ya-face about it.

As a result of the way we were treated I would have been prepared I am sure to overlook quite significant shortcomings in the hotel, but the fact is that there weren't any. Postwirt delivers a typically Austrian blend of understated efficency while doing so with a smile on the face of everyone involved. Full marks Postwirt! I would gladly recommend the hotel to anyone who wants to be looked after while they ski in the lovely Soll.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
ThePostwirt, Manager at Postwirt, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
Dear "grumpyguts"!

thank you so much for your detailed and positive review.

Everybody at hotel Postwirt tries the very best to make the holiday for our guests
a nice one to remeber and it is good to hear that we could
pass the "Postwirt feeling" on to you, especially over Christmas.

We are looking forward welcoming you again at hotl Postwirt
team
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013 via mobile

Firstly, thanks very much to all the staff at the Post who made our stay a lovely one. The hotel is fantastic, full of charm and the staff are extremely attentive to your every need. We had a bit of noise from a group of Germans who weren't very considerate, but this doesn't reflect on the hotel but more the people. The family room was enormous, warm and always clean. The meals are awesome. The pool and spa rooms was a lovely treat at the end of a day skiing. The children were made to feel welcome and catered for at dinner. Expensive eating on the mountain, but thanks to the filling breakfasts and evening meal we were ok with just the soups etc. ski school for the kids was an amazing experience with our children on the slopes after only a few hours, with this holiday their first experience. The tabaggon run is a scream, picking the tabaggons up at the gondala station and trying your best to steer them down, brilliant. Thank you very much. We had a great time.

Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dear Karyn,

thank you for taking your time and writing this nice review about hotel Postwirt.
We are happy to hear that the staff could bring joy to your holiday.

We are looking forward welcoming you again at hotel Postwirt
Best regards,
Carshalton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

We stayed in Soll last year & passed the Postwirt everyday on the way to the slopes, so decided to treat ourselves to a stay in what is the nicest hotel in town.

After booking with Inghams I e-mailed the hotel directly to ask for a room towards the rear as I had read it could get noisy in the evening, on arrival as requested we were given the keys to 224 which is last but one towards the pool.

The room itself was large with comfy beds, plenty of wardrobe and storage space and a nice modern bathroom & separate WC.

The rooms were immaculately cleaned everyday and if I had to really think of any minus points I simply couldn’t !

The staff were all extremely friendly, helpful and not at all overbearing and that went from the cleaning lady we saw in the morning, to the bar and restaurant staff, especially Susan our main waitress in the evening.

The food was excellent. A wide choice for the main evening meal with the breakfast and evening buffet table loaded with goodies. We certainly never went hungry.

The Wellness is a real luxury I’ve come to depend upon these days and we weren’t disappointed here. The heated outdoor pool, steam, sauna, infa red & showers were all modern, clean and spacious.

I would defiantly stay here again and my final advice would simply be to book early.

As for Soll itself this is a small village and although it has all you really need, it is limited for variety.

I would also look at staying in another village in the Ski Welt area (Which is simply massive) as Soll is really badly signposted and we did end up going round in circles a few times trying to find the way home, with other guests having to get the Taxi back.

Room Tip: As the hotel is on the main cross road a room at the rear will help although theres no getting away...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Dear "davski2000",
servus from Austria

thank you for your positíve words about hotel Postwirt,
mentioning the friendly staff.
We appreciate it that you took the time to write the review.

Looking forward welcoming you again, maybe next winter.

Team

Been to Postwirt? Share your experiences!