“Food and service were excellent” 4 of 5 stars

26 Seestrasse, Solden 6450, Austria   |
Ranked #4 of 152 Solden B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Food and service were excellent”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014

First time in Solden and not sure what to expect. We booked with Ski Total. No worries with the Hermann - we had a great week.

We stayed in the Panorama wing, which was ideal for our family of 4 adults because it was like staying in your own 2-bed apartment with separate lounge including flat screen TV with UK channels, fridge and kitchen.

These rooms have been recently refurbished to a high standard and come with balconies offering stunning views of the valley. There is a dedicated ski room, too, with boot warmers.

The chalet also has a spa area with sauna and steam room which we used daily. Pity there's no Jacuzzi!

Clare, Gemma and the rest of the staff ensured we had a lovely, hassle-free week. We were their first group of guests and they pulled out all the stops. Nothing was too much trouble.

The food was consistently delicious and imaginative. One of our party is 'gluten-free' and they were very well catered for.

We appreciated the location of the chalet because it's in a quiet location with stunning views. You can ski in to within 5 minutes' walk and out after 7-10 minutes' walk to the red that runs down to the Gigioch gondola.. Also, the official ski bus, which stops virtually outside, is supplemented by the chalet's own minibus, so getting to the snow is really very easy. Michael, the driver, will also, very helpfully, get you to and from town on request on the dining out evening.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend staying here, however, I did not see the rooms in the main part of the chalet.

The skiing in Solden is good, particularly for intermediates and above, with plenty to keep you going for a whole week. There are two glaciers and lots of snow making, so pretty snow-sure. For 10€ you can also upgrade your lift pas which allows a day's skiing in Obergurgl, 20 minutes up the valley on the free ski bus. This is worth doing.

There's plenty of 'apres' in Solden with lots of bars and restaurants. However, the village is fairly spread out along one main road and we didn't find it as picturesque as some other resorts, but that's a very minor point.

If you're hiring skis/boards etc we used Clever & Sporty, booked through the AlpinSports website, which was much cheaper than the other shops. The equipment was mostly brand new, too.

Room Tip: The Panorama wing is ideal for family/friends groups with shared lounge areas and amazing views from...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Fordingbridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

We booked out holiday last minute through Igluski and confess that I was a little concerned when i read some of the previous reviews. We were very pleasantly suprised!

We were in the Panorama wing. The rooms were immaculately clean, spacious and had a powerful shower, with ample hot water, no matter what time we showered.

The food was exceptional throughout the week, and the wine flowed freely! The staff really couldn't have been more helpful - they were all. without exception, efficient and attentive.

I would suggest, that a chest of drawers wouldnt have gone amiss in our room, as there was space for it, but that would be a minor niggle.

Yes, it is a little out of the way, but the ski bus stops regularly almost directly opposite the chalet, and Michael is also available for runs into town. The funicular (which runs into town and back until 10pm) is not that far away to walk (maybe 10 mins if taking it steady?) but a taxi for 4 cost us 13 Euros.

Also, i agree that ski in and out is not really an apt description, particularly if the snow is poor, but again, this is a niggle.

We met some lovely people there, had a great holiday and based on our experience, I wouldnt hesitate to recommend it. I would happily go again - it made for a great Christmas holiday.

Thanks to Clare, Gemma and the team!

Room Tip: Panorama rooms are newer and have access to own shared lounge
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
York, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

If it's good value average accommodation you're looking for then this place 'will do'. We stayed last Christmas (delayed review due to house move), but I felt strongly enough to leave a review at this late stage. There is a lot good about this chalet but the niggles for me were deal breakers, if I'm on holiday especially at Christmas, I want no big niggles. The management & staff really make an effort, staff are very friendly & attentive mostly but need a push sometimes from management to pay attention as the evening goes on. Management was new and going well, but didn't appreciate on some occasions the lack of professionalism. We felt 'accused, like teenagers at school lunch, when we got a dinner order confused & couldn't remember what we'd ordered & we had indeed got it wrong. This would have been simply dealt with, with an aire of courtesy and 'no problem' as they do at out regular 4* Italian ski hotel we stay in towards the end of each ski season, instead of which we felt ticked off with a 'now I remember you said this!' comment. This to me is inappropriate in the hospitality industry & I find a little catty. This attitude pervaded I'm afraid from this person and in my experience becomes a negative management technique. It has certainly been effective in me booking a hotel in Obergurgle instead this year. The decor in the bedrooms was dated in the old part, the new wing spanking new& good decor, but don't stay in it if there's a gang of youngsters in as you'll get no,sleep from the noise and the joining shared balconies lead to no privacy. Good value if you just want to stay somewhere ok .. taxi system was poor ... definitely overrated for brochure, more 3* feel, but really not bad but not for me. I want more grown up treatment.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Hobart, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

This is pretty much what I expect from a chalet hotel- slick and competent as a ski base, reasonable (but no better) food and facilities. It is not luxurious, and does not aim at that market. I will say that the twin room that I shared on the 3rd floor was huge compared to anything I have previously had in ski chalets or hotels. Contrary to some other reviewers, my group had no gripe with the hotel or tour company team who were pleasant, efficient and helpful. The ski-in, ski-out description does verge on referral under the Trade Practices Act, as being not really possible, and to what extent it is, only in outstanding snow conditions. Although not far out of town, that distance is steeply uphill. The riverside track is quick enough though, and the funicular does deal with the climb, although it leaves 400-500m walk at the top. To access the skiing, we found it more convenient to use one of the numerous ski storage facilties at the lift bases to leave our skis and boots, and walk to and fro in our shoes.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

I stayed here a few weeks ago a group of 5 and was the worst place we ever stayed as we been around a few ski total chalets and this doesn't even come near to them. Clare the manager is always drinking and feel she is not running a tight ship as she is half cut every time you see her and karolina is very in approachable so we never botherd the staff were amazing and a credit to use and for you to have them but rest azure they won't be working long for you and food was great standards for this chalet. Would never come again

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Leeds, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

I have just returned from a weeks holiday with a party of 5. The room we were given was terrible, if the in comfy beds didn't keep me awake then he freezing room did! I tried to warm up in the shower one morning and I couldn't get any hot water! When I mentioned this to Claire I was told she didn't know how to use the boiler! There was long blonde hair on our carpet yet neither of us have blonde or long hair! Our room was very dated, we had no balcony where as the majority of people did, we asked for a twin room which was actually a double bed with two single mattress together. From speaking to the other guests the lower floors have been refurbished and were very nice as was the panorama wing. I feel we shouldn't have been charged the same as the other guests as I would only expect to stay in a room like that in a hostel not a hotel chalet! Two of our party picked up the sickness bug, we felt we needed to tell Claire but she merely dismissed the comment. We found out that a few members of staff had the virus that week!!! On a positive note the staff were very friendly, terry the head chef took his time to show us around the town, the food was good and the wine flowed. There was a bit of a walk to the slopes but nothing that would spoil your trip. Lucy was great and very professional, she also helped out where she could!

• Stayed March 2013
Baildon, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

I have just returned from the Hermann in Solden. As a chalet hotel it was well equipped, nicely presented and well run. Out and return flights and transfers were well organised and Lucy the rep was very knowledgeable and professional. The Brochure description was reasonably accurate and skiing to the door would have been almost possible earlier in the season. The food was very good and thoughtfully cooked. The staff were pleasant, friendly and enthusiastic. Not sure how thoroughly the restaurant was cleaned after dinner but a minor point really. One disappointing aspect was the constant bickering between staff. The manager seemed to be at the sharp end of much of the nonsense and it was a shame they chose to air their issues to guests. A further surprising episode occurred when I informed the manager that 2 of the guests in our party were ill with S & D. I had heared from staff that others had been ill. She snapped at me asking what was I inferring to which I said for her information. This episode was uncomfortable to say the least and uncalled for. Despite the last two points I would gladly return to Hermann with Ski Total.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel Hermann? Share your experiences!