“Great stay, definitely recommend!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Chalet Hotel Schweizerhof

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in St. Anton am Arlberg
Chalet Hotel Schweizerhof
You added Chalet Hotel Schweizerhof to your Saves list
Dorfstrasse 35, St. Anton am Arlberg, Austria   |
Bishops Stortford, United Kingdom
“Great stay, definitely recommend!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2009

The staff - very helpful and nothing was too much trouble.

The food - a very BIG plus as it was excellent. Lots of choice at breakfast. Afternoon tea was homemade soup, cake, pastries and cookies. Dinner was really great with so much choice and all cooked beautifully - it was like eating in a proper restaurant plus the wine was decent too.

The rooms - very spacious and lots of room to put things. A little dated but very clean.

The bar, restaurant and lounge area - all very comfortable, spacious and relaxing.

The spa - sauna and steam room were clean and the relaxion area was bliss after a hard day on the slopes.

The location - it is wrong to assume you are very far from town, you are not - it took us 10 minutes to walk from to the hotel from the end of town but if you want a bus then you don't have to wait long, the hotel puts on shuttles and there are also the resort buses which take you right near the hotel.

What we liked best - the food and spacious room.
What we liked least - the spa door slamming when having a treatment.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2009

We had a very enjoyable week in St Anton. The hotel is very pleasant and so are the staff. The rooms are basic, but clean and reasonably large. The food was mostly good, couple of minor hiccups but nothing that could not be resolved. The staff are genuinely friendly and whilst they are quite youthful, they are intelligent and willing to help and assist even when it is not necessarily their area of expertise.

The child care was very good - at the beginning of the week the children kept asking to be taken out of care as they werent used to it, but by the end they were asking to go back even when they didn't have to!

The Sauna/Steam room and treatment rooms were welcomed with open arms - and I highly recommend a massage a day after skiing!

The hotel is a fifteen minute walk from the town and taxis are 9 euro's each way. We walked there and took a taxi back.

We went during half-term so the rates were extremely unfriendly, however the rates for the following weeks appeared to represent good value for money.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
Ipswich
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2009

This is a nice, relaxed, but not luxurious hotel It's a little bit of a walk from the town centre, but anyone fit enough to ski should find it nothing more than a stroll (except when carrying skis, boots etc). There is a handy hotel mini-bus at key times, and I realised towards the end of my holiday that the number 4 (Nesserein) bus passes close by the hotel (although I only noticed a bus stop in one direction). I'm not sure how much the local taxis were charging, as I found no need to use them, but if you've already paid out a lot for your holiday, skis, lift pass etc, then paying for the occasional taxi shouldn't break the bank esp if you are sharing the cost of the ride with friends.

As already stated in other reviews, the Hotel staff are the Hotel's big plus, they were all, without exception, genuinely friendly, polite, approachable and helpful, and Shonagh (Hotel Manager) led by example. I was surprised at just how social the whole holiday was, the staff, locals and holiday makers in St Anton (including non-English ones) were much friendlier and chatty than i remember while skiing in France (admittedly a long time ago). The hotel staff seemed to do a good job looking after guests' children, and the kids weren't at all disturbing to other guests.

The rooms were fairly basic, but a reasonable size, however I found the twin bed a little uncomfortable, maybe because I am fairly tall and am used to sleeping in a double bed. We also had a problem a couple of times with lack of hot water, so simply took future baths/showers at non peak times. On one occasion I tried the water again after half an hour and there was plenty of hot water again.

In my opinion, the restaurant food was usually very tasty. They employ a good chef. I would have liked slighter larger portions, but I eat far too much anyway. The wine (Pinot, Chardonnay, Merlot and another red) was surprisingly good quality considering it was free. My friend has coeliacs and so has to eat gluten free food, Laura (the very nice Restaurant Mgr) and her colleagues were happy to make sure he had suitiable food options at each meal time.

In regard to the resort, both my mate (a beginner) and I (an Intermediate) had an enjoyable time skiing. Initially I had doubts about the suitability of the resort because there are no green runs (the green lines on the piste map represent danger areas!) and the blues are in my opinion fairly hard (for lower intermediates), but our ski instructors ensured we found challenging, but not too hard, runs. Incidentally I'd recommend a trip to nearby Lech. The resort is undeniably more suitable for more advanced skiers, however I would seriously consider returning again one day (probably to same hotel).

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with friends
Reigate, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2009

We generally book our ski holidays as a non-package so were interested to see how the all Engkish package would compare. We were impressed with the staff who did everything to make our holiday.

The location is out of town, but the majority of the guests aren't into partying, and the bus to and from skiing is fine, never more than 5 mins wait, Walking without skis/ boots into town isn't a problem,

The food was generally good, not exceptional but more than adequate (the carrot cake for tea one night was fantastic).

As previous reviews the wine was good and plentiful - one gripe was that my husband didn't drink and we were expected to pay for any soft drinks at dinner. Sounds daft as he's happy drinking water, but would have been nice to be offered at least one soft drink in place of wine. (And on a different note watch out for restaurants trying to charge you for tap water!)

Disagree about the hosting - need to pick your group but they do wait (too long in some circumstances) up to you to keep up or drop out. We had a relatively well balanced group and whilst the young host may have wanted to ski faster he did nothing to rush us.

Rooms are basic but comfortable, views from 111 were great. We too had an issue with lack of hot water one night, but just made sure we got our baths early after that!

Entertainment was limited (2 very competitive quizes over dinner involving "illegal" use of blackberries), but was enough for the group our week - mixed ages, some young chikdren but most guests friendly and keen to share their day.

Another warning wifi expensive, and falls over often so you lose your minutes.

The staff were without exception very friendly and welcoming - how they do it week after week I don't know.

• Liked — the staff
  • Disliked — distance from main resort
  • Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
England
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2009

I have just returned from a week staying at the Chalet Hotel Schweizerhof manged by Mark Warner, and was very dissapointed. The hotels position is a 25 minute uphill walk from the centre of St Anton with no evening buses and taxis costing £12 one way, the hotel does run a shuttle bus in the morning between 8.30-10 and in the afternoon between 3.30-5. The rooms, although large and warm, were very dated and smelt old and musty, the bathrooms were equally dated. Some of the staff were excellent, the ski guiding could not be faulted but basic communication in other areas left a lot to be desired. Despite receiving a welcome letter this did not explain that the hotel doors were all locked and a key pad number required to gain entry, after returning from St Anton I had to walk around the hotel twice before finding someone to let me in. Another evening it took 1 1/2 hours for reception to confirm that the boilers had broken and that there was no hot water in the hotel, I had to borrow a kettle to have a strip wash. Breakfast was available until 10am, but after 9am it was very difficult to find a clean table and often cutlery and mugs had to be requested. There was also no information to inform you that after 9.15 the hot breakfast was removed but you could order fresh food from the staff. One morning the waiter offered to put the hot food back as it had only been removed for 10 minutes, this could explain why a large proportion of the guest had stomach problems, including myself. The food in the evening varied, some was very good but other meals were poor, the service was generally much better and the option of a shared or private table was a good system. This was my first holiday with Mark Warner and I did not feel that it offered value for money.

• Liked — Ski Guiding
  • Disliked — Smell in the bedroom
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Hove, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2009

I've just come back from a stay in the Chalet Hotel Schweizerhof in St Anton and I really can't say enough good things about it and Mark Warner in general.

The staff were extremely friendly from the moment we met them at the airport. The Chalet was in a lovely position with great views. The rooms were well presented, very clean, comfortable and warm as toast.

The food was lovely. Afternoon tea each day consisted of soup with bread, and then homemade cakes and biscuits (including gluten free options).

Dinner was great with each of the three courses allowing plenty choice for every dietary requirement each night, along with as much wine as we could drink (and we did test that!).

Breakfast was always plentiful - recommend the porridge which was a great start to the ski day!

A shuttle bus was available to take you to the local lift running continuously each morning and afternoon meaning no lugging of skis around. That said, some of my friends did ski down on several mornings too.

While the location is a little out of town, it was easy to get around via the shuttle bus or taxis, or simply walking in (although wouldn't recommend that with ski boots!).

Would go back there in a flash and highly recommend it to anyone.

• Liked — The friendly staff
  • Disliked — the 5 flights of stairs from the boot room to our bedroom!
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2008

As always with Mark Warner, it is difficult to fault the staff. They tend to employ the cream of the crop when it comes to staff and they work them hard to ensure that their guests are paramount.

Our stay in the Schweizerhoff was no exception. The ski 'guiding' is excellent in terms of showing you where to go. But don't expect any more than that. It is not like ski school and if you don't keep up or go the wrong way, the guide won't look for you - you've got to look after number one and then meet back at the designated lunch stop etc.

Now for the not so good parts. It's mark warner. They do child care and good service. What I don't think they do is top notch food or accommodation. The hotel is perfectly pleasant and is in a different league to the Rosanna which is more like a youth hostel. It is out of the way though so expect to use taxis a lot or be prepared to walk.

The food was pretty average but perfectly accceptable.

The wine was good after the first glass....and plentiful.

The main problem was norovirus! To a certain degree not Mark Warner's fault HOWEVER when you realise that the staff working there had it the previous week and a load of guests had it the previous week, it is no surprise that slowly but surely we all contracted the virus the following week. The staff just carried it straight forward.

It was fairly horrendous - we went from a full dining room on the first night to a fairly sparse on on the final night and the only topic of conversation amongst us survivors was as to when we were going to get it! I got it on the last night making my journey home somewhat unpleasant (especially when told the toilet on the bus was not operable) and my partner got it back once in the UK. We were lucky as we missed no skiing. The majority of guests weren't so lucky missing on average 3 days' skiing.

Come on MW, when you have an outbreak, the least you should do is quarantine the staff and you should really consider shutting down to de-contaminate.

Otherwise I would recommend it.

• Liked — Friendly staff
  • Disliked — It is not in a central location HOWEVER is very quiet.
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Chalet Hotel Schweizerhof? Share your experiences!