“Christmas magic” 5 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Im Gries 20, St. Anton am Arlberg 6580, Austria   |
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Christmas magic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2014

My husband, four boys, and I had a wonderful Christmas ski trip to St Anton. The snow was not great but we still had fun. The food at the Grieshof was good and plentiful . It was nice to not have to go out after a long day of skiing. The lounge could use some updating to make it more welcoming. People were very nice and accomodating.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2014

From the moment I arrived until the moment I left I felt at home and I know that we will most definitely return here!

Ok now on to the review and why I think this is a such a great place.

The Great bits:

Check-in was swift and with no complications and my luggage was swept away as I was signing the relevant papers to be delivered to my room just a minute after I got there.

The room: very spacious, comfortable large beds, plenty of storage and most importantly, not too warm!
The Bathroom was large and the shower had hot water at all times and great pressure.

The restaurant: We were half-board which I find can sometimes be a hit and miss however in this case, 100% hit!

Breakfast is the standard Austrian breakfast which you find in most hotels. The counters are kept nice and clean and staff is there at all times should you wish for something else.

Dinner: Not only was the food excellent and plentiful, the salad-bar alone was enough to create a whole meal, but the kitchen made every possible effort to adapt to my gluten intolerance and my friend's lactose intolerance. The staff were ever so friendly and nothing was too much to ask and the fact that we asked for the same soup as a starter the whole week didn't seem to faze them the least :).

There is a bar in the large reception area and just behind there you can find a large sitting area with several sofa groups to create a bit of privacy and an open fire. We had coffee after dinner there a few times and also a hot chocolate after skiing which was lovely.

There is a ski and boot room in the hotel but since you can now store your skis and boots for free at the skishop at the base of the main gondolas we didn't need to use it.

Wifi available for free in all areas and we had very good reception all over the hotel.

We also had massages whilst there, my friend tried the hot stone massage and I had the normal one and after a few days on the piste I can tell you that was godsent, absolutely incredible ;)

The pool area is nice and good for relaxing after hard day on the piste.

I was going to add a "not so great" bit but then I realised that the only thing I could possibly find to mention there is that the the front door was a bit heavy so I thought I will leave that out ;)

All the above said, the thing that makes this hotel is the people who work here. From the first moment until you say goodbye they are friendly and smiling and seem genuinely happy to help. We had a mishap and had to go to hospital during our stay and I have never in my life received such kind treatment and help anywhere I have been.

This hotel is a gem and although I am reluctant to post all of this on Tripadvisor for the fear they might be fully booked the next time I just felt I had to so that everybody knows there still is incredible traditional Austrian style hotels to be found in St Anton.

Thank you for a great stay and hope to be back soon!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2014

Have stayed here many times in last 10 years. Always clean,efficient with good not overly rich food. This year ski and boot check-in at base of gondola (Alber's Sport shop) included in room price. No more schlepping up the street! We'll be back. William, Lancaster,PA,USA

Room Tip: quitest on street side, better view on mountain side. a wash
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Jensen Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2014

This is my 4th trip to St. Anton and the first to the Grieshof. The rooms were spacious and clean and I love the little sitting area. The bathrooms were modern and roomy. I loved the heated towel bar! The food here is the most outstanding. All of the hotels I stayed at were nice but the food here was the best! The vegetables always green and crisp, never overcooked which is sometimes hard to find in a half board hotel. The wood paneling in the rooms is warm and cozy and exudes the Austrian style. The spa is nice although the jacuzzi was not warm enough. The saunas were excellent and there are choices of different kinds of saunas. A very nice hotel and a friendly staff. Wi-fi in the room did not always work but the overall a very pleasant stay.

Room Tip: The rooms with the wood paneling are charming
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
New Hampshire USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014

The Grieshof runs a quality inn geared to repeat customers; a few steps off the main street make the Grieshof conveniently central but much quieter than the hotels on the Kandahar.
Their energetic and friendly staff work hard to make your stay easier.
The breakfast buffet was perfect and included bacon eggs and nice pastries.The restaurant's dinner fare was innovative and consistently delicious. I doubt we could have found a better meal The kitchen and staff even caught the favor of my teenage daughter, a picky vegetarian who doesn't eat vegetables.
They were able to "fluff and fold" a small load of laundry for a few euros.
The rooms were large enough to spread out in. The shower water pressure was excellent.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2014

'Sister' hotel to the Post – this is a quieter, smaller place. Location is excellent. Food was very good, as in most quality Austrian Hotels. Rooms were comfortable and well kept. But, I would call it a high three star rather than a four star as they claim. It is a mid-sized hotel and the facilities, while nice, are not exceptional. For me that can be a welcome relief as there is a far more relaxed atmosphere than at more 'aspirational' and expensive accommodations.
Has Pool, Whirlpool and separate Sauna. Foreigners should be aware that Saunas in Austria are mixed-sex and clothing-optional, with the 'option' being to consider wearing something.
Pass for ski storage near the lift was great too, skip carrying the skis back and forth.
I would heartily recommend the place.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

The Grieshof hotel is a lovely small hotel. The staff are great and very friendly. I can't fault them.

Rooms - Fantastic quality, very comfortable
Staff - All so friendly and helpful
Food - REALLY good. Did not have one bad meal
Spa/pool - Lovely and warm, fantastic.
Ski facilities - Lovely boot room and have a deal with a shop by the ski lifts, where you can leave your ski's/boots rather than taking them back to the hotel each day.

This hotel is lovely, I really could not fault it.

Room Tip: All rooms I saw were great
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family

Been to Grieshof Hotel? Share your experiences!