“Chalet Staff poor and customer service worse” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Chalet Schlosshof

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in St. Anton am Arlberg
Chalet Schlosshof
You added Chalet Schlosshof to your Saves list
Nasserein 2, St. Anton am Arlberg A-6580, Austria   |
London
“Chalet Staff poor and customer service worse”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2014

My main whinge was the food, breakfasts especially and the excuses that came with the very slow service.
Most chalets I have stayed at in the past supply a continental style breakfast with porridge, a range of cereals, fruit, yoghurts, cold meat and cheeses and a variety of bread and boiled eggs. (Hot option was extra so your choice if you want to wait around for it)
On our first 2 mornings there was a loaf of fennel bread which was nice after that all that was supplied was dry white bread for toast, cereal, yoghurts and fruit which meant there was not enough to fill you for a morning on the slopes so we required the hot option.
This varied as the week went on and the problem was the speed of the service and excuses that followed.
If you were not served first you had no chance of making the early ski bus to get the first lifts to the early conditions.
There was no plan B for the excuses:-

one burner on the oven out - well change from fried eggs to scrambled
lack of eggs on the supply delivery - not our fault order enough in the first place
only one non-stick frying pan so 1 person served pancakes at a time - supply a second frying pan or don't do pancakes
Can’t have beans instead they take 20mins to warm - use the microwave 2 mins a portion.
We never get all 22 people sitting down at the same time - you should work to this at all time and change your plan if less show up.
The Sausages, hash browns, and bacon were done in the oven so there isn't much to be cooked on the hobs it was a farce.
Only once did I catch a reasonable timed bus to get to the slopes early it was frustrating.

Next I get to dinner which was basic at best, on arrival day there was a nice hot stew which was ideal homely food, the Monday night when the resort rep turned up to dine with us we had chicken wrapped in bacon and all the stops were pulled out to impress him even our chalet rep showed up to help out.
After that it was disappointing? We had a lasagne well that's what it was explained as, dry mince slices of carrot and a sheet of pasta is how I described it. In most recipes there is a cheese sauce and layers of pasta. I think all the sauce was on the veggie option. The lamb, pork and chicken and leek dishes were nothing special either.

One early evening we couldn’t get hold of anyone when the local police turned up on the staff day off (putting the fear of Christ up some of the guests) and the staff shrugged it off the following morning when we told them saying it was a normal occurrence as if we were supposed to know that not a nice experience.

Next I get to the night the female staff woke up some of the guests standing in the hall giggling at 1 in the morning Deborah the staff involved denied it. I understand that they want to ski and party but the guests come first this is our 1 week in the snow they have a season and should respect that.

Once I aired my views the area rep came to see me the following morning which I thought was a nice show of support but looking back on the conversation she was a little condescending.
She asked about my issues and sympathized, then turned the whole issue on me. She asked if I had ever stayed in a chalet before (as if it was the norm) she also said I should have mentioned it earlier in the week so it could be addressed maybe I would have if I saw the chalet rep more than twice and then he just wanted to sell his outings and parties,
She also said she had an official complaint form but didn’t hand it over telling me to send this email (is there an official complain score chart that is only judged on forms submitted on resort and not the internet as I feel that’s why she told me to email you.
When I book a snow holiday I do go to low budget and I expect the accommodation to be the reason for the price and it was what I expected sharing a toilet, squeaky floors and beds and a bath that I could fill with tepid water (the hot showers on the floor below were all I needed anyway), I just didn’t expect a shoddy showing by the staff.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

We visited from Christmas eve until New Years eve and had a great stay. there was a party of 5 of us staying in two rooms. What made the holiday for me was the Chalet staff who were all very friendly from when we arrived and we had an immediate bond. After the first night and a few beers and when all the guest arrived we had a very good night. the group of other guests were all lovely people and we had dinner together and even eat out once night and even met our Chalet staff for a night out towards the end of the holiday. It was a good group & good staff. Plus all the beer & alcohol at dinner does help.The Chalet could handle the amount guests well and the showers may have been shared but due to the different times people woke up you didn't find you were waiting long to use them. The food was good and there was always tea & coffee available in case you came back early from the slopes. It was a short 5-10 minute walk to the main part of town where the bars and restaurants. There was a bus which served the Chalet every 30 minutes every day and was always on time and it was a 5 minute walk to the ski lift. I would recommend if you have not stayed in a chalet before, as this was my first experience and would try this again

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Bromley, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

Its been a while since our visit, so admittedly I can probably only remember the bad side of things, but here is a brief summary.

The chalet itself is in a reasonable location, with a very good bus service to the lifts and town. Internally it is very dated (admittedly like a lot of chalets) but worse it is not clean or particularly well maintained.

The rooms were average to poor, given that some of the rooms are next to the kitchen and living room (not much good if you want an early night) and the ones at the top of the chalet are tiny.

The staff who were hosting the chalet were not particularly accommodating, and we found you had to ask for things that should have been offered - porridge being an example. The food standard was particularly poor to the point of some food being sent back due to raw meat - no one wants to get sick!

With a change of staff and a refit this place may improve, but given how cheap you can book it for it looks set to stay at the level it is at the moment, way below our expectations.

On the upside St Anton is nice and we would definitely visit again!

Room Tip: Look to another chalet elsewhere!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

Travelers are raving about these St. Anton am Arlberg hotels

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

Having read previous reviews, I was dreading the experience of staying in this chalet. With expectations set so low, I thought I couldn't be disappointed - and I wasn't. The chalet is perfectly functional - all be it short on home comforts.

The chalet hosts (Louise, Lizzie & Ed) were very friendly & accomodating, the food was better than most other chalets I've stayed at, wine was not in short supply, heating was fine if you turned on the radiator, the space in the 3-person room was generous, queuing for toliet & shower facilities didn't happen, the bus was always on time & the walk back quite sobering.

In fact all of the criticisms that I'd read were unjustified and my concerns unfounded.

I'd suggest it's not the place to come for a family holiday or a romantic week away or if you have a sensitive disposition - but if you're going to St Anton to ski hard & enjoy the Apres, it is fine. We were lucky enough to be in a full chalet of like-minded people.

In terms of value - you'd probably find it hard to beat in St Anton.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013 via mobile

Having read through some of the other recent reviews of Chalet Schlosshof, I'm not sure that we stayed at the same place.
We stayed at Chalet Schlosshof for a week in March 2013 and found it to be a decent budget chalet which is clean, safe and secure and has friendly and very helpful staff. The food is good and so are the portion sizes, with plenty of extra bread, etc. if you ask for it. There are a total of 4 shower rooms, all of which are clean and have decent showers with plenty of hot water. Our room, No.10, is a decent size for 2 blokes on a ski trip with plenty of storage and even a little drying cabinet you can put your wet things in at the end of the day.
The negatives are few and are as follows: the low slope of the roof, typical of alpine designs, means that headroom on the top floor is restricted in places. This meant that access to part of our room and the nearby toilet is a bit restricted for people more than perhaps 5 foot tall. However, you quickly become used to this and I'm certain it's a common problem in chalets. Secondly, the chalet is at the end of a busy bus route, and although convenient for the bus, the adjacent road is quite noisy with buses, cars and tractors, especially early in the morning so if you like to sleep with the window open, bring ear plugs. The chalet itself is quite noisy, but this is attributable to the wooden design rather than anything else.
Overall, if you're looking for a decent, budget, chalet (as we were) then you won't be disappointed. If you're looking for a luxurious retreat, then look elsewhere and expect to pay an awful lot more - this is St Anton, after all!

Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Eastbourne, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Was on the top floor in the children's attic room. Half the room was taken up by ceiling space being a sloping roof. The room had a bath but no hot water!! Until complained for 2 days...
Had booked a double room this consisted of the beds being end to end lengthways, with no way of moving. This I would not class as a room for couples. More a child's room. The mattress was a chunk of foam for making cushions out of... Avoid room 8!!!!
The food was better from your average school than this chalet...
Poorly laid out chalet. Staff where friendly enough though
The Crystal staff at the airport were useless
If you complain Crystal offer vouchers off your next holiday. Worst company to travel
With

Room Tip: Avoid Crystal holidays as they have Zero customer service
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Fife, Scotland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

The best thing about this chalet is that it is at the terminus of the free ski-bus: 10 and 40 minutes past the hour an empty bus arrives at the door and takes you directly to two of the main lift systems in St Anton.

The chalet is very basic. If, like me, you are of an age to have used youth hostels in the 1970's you will see the similarity to Chalet Schlosshof. There are too many people sharing too few facilities, with most of the shower rooms also being the loos. The heating leaves a lot to be desired: at best we measured the room temperature to be ~15degC, due to the tiny size of radiator for the room and the boiler circulating temperature being set very low. These things were acceptable for youth hostels at £2.70 per night back in the 70's, but not a holiday chalet, even if it is one of the more 'budget' level holidays.

Coming to the service provided by the Crystal staff. As is usually the case, the staff are young folk and very friendly. However their level of training (or their application) is very poor. We did feel that they were there to ski rather than do a job of work. I don't want to stress the poor quality of service too much, I'm guessing I'd be much the same at their age.

The food, however, is an issue worth stressing. Breakfast was basic, made up of bread-buns with jams and honey - and a cooked option comprising eggs (in their various forms), bacon or sausage, and potato croquettes. It was the evening meal where we were disappointed: okay meat and two veg, but quantities were abysmal. Potato costs nothing, but they rationed it very meagrely. One one occasion a member of our party asked (Oliver like) for more potato, and an additional small bole vast provided. The following day, the meal had a tablespoon of mash, and a request for more on this occasion was refused!

I can't recommend this chalet, and Crystal really needs to improve its staff training and management.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Chalet Schlosshof? Share your experiences!