“Pure luxury, and not over the top!” 5 of 5 stars

Grand Hotel Zell am See
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Esplanade 4-6, Zell am See 5700, Austria   |
Ranked #16 of 45 Hotels in Zell am See
Kaiserslautern, Germany
“Pure luxury, and not over the top!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

Sometimes a luxury hotel stay makes you feel out-of-place and requires you to "fancy up" more than you are comfortable doing. The Grand Hotel Zell am See is not one of those places! Casual is fine in the dining room, although a bit of dressing up is fine for the evenings. While our stay was mid-winter, many patrons were heading out mornings to ski or for other winter sports. They didn't dress up at all. A relaxed atmosphere was also present in the bar for the afternoon snack and warm-up. The 2-sided bar fireplace made for a wonderful atmosphere there. Between the combination of sofas, over-stuffed chairs and traditional table seating, there was room for both couples and families.
The dinner makes the stay! And the restaurant manager was aware we had a special occasion. We were seated at the window overlooking the lake. The date of our 40th wedding anniversary and they made sure we were pleased at our table that evening! The food was different for each dinner - never repeating once during the week we were there. The food was excellent: reasonable portions for 5-course meals and enough variety to please the most finicky eaters. Breakfast had something for everyone, although I had to request my bacon be cooked well-done, and not limp and fatty. After the first request I received it that way every morning. Wines and beers were not overpriced as at many hotels, but average priced for Austria. We managed to find good wines as well in town at the grocery stores to enjoy in our room.
Our room! We had a junior suite with fireplace overlooking the lake. It was two floors of a tower and just lovely! Wood was delivered upon request and burned beautifully. Although there were no directions for operating the fireplace (which could have been a drawback for those less experienced) we had no problems adjusting the airflows for a medium fire.
Service for the room was good and unobtrusive. The cleaning staff came as requested as we left for a walk with our dog each day mid-morning. We had asked for "a dog package", a DVD player, and a basket of firewood in the room upon arrival, which were not forthcoming. We had to call down to reception and these were promptly delivered - as were our missing bathrobes. The LAN internet in the room was good - but sometimes disconnected at night and the night staff at Reception didn't know how to reset it.
The Classic Spa and Grand Spa were both part of our Junior Suite package. I used three afternoons of "happy hour special" spa packages and really enjoyed those. Although some staffing & computer programming issues came up there the experience was mostly positive. The Grand Spa saunas are a real treat! My husband really enjoyed the sauna and whirlpool in the Classic Spa. I didn't like the chlorine there so preferred the Grand Spa area - wich also included teas and some fruit snacks.
What we didn't like: Some guests felt it was okay to let their children run through the dining room, reception and bar area disturbing other guests. On our third evening there the hotel manager finally spoke gently to two sets of parents and brought the running to a halt.
Summary: The Grand Hotel Zell am See is worth the cost for a special occasion and may be just the thing for families with appreciative children. They appear to have great family rooms and arrangements suiting well-behaved children. Some commenters have noted the preponderance of Arabic guests at the hotel. We were there mid-winter and noted a few Arabic families. They were treated respectfully by the staff and other guests and, in turn, did not impose on others.

Room Tip: Rooms on the town side are close to the rail lines and may experience noise in warmer weather when w...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
LONDON
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

We stayed at the Grand Hotel for 3 nights in December 2012. With its location right on the lake, the views from our room and balcony were fantastic. The snowy lake. The hotel is nearby the train station and walking distance to everything we wanted to see in Zell Am See except for the cable car up to Schmittenhohe which is further up the mountain.
The hotel itself was fine. Our room was very large especially by European standards. There was full heating all over the hotel. Restaurant had fine dining meals including in our price. Spa with excellent therapies. i will come again!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

We stayed here in 2003 when we had our winter wedding, so this month we returned to celebrate our 10th anniversary - so glad we did! The hotel is beautiful, staff are friendly, food is tasty and location ideal....what more can I say? We stayed in the wellness deluxe suite this time and the junior suite previously. The rooms are well laid out and we had a lovely mountain and lake view. The hotel has a free mini bus and is ideally located by the main town and station, only a walk away from the cable cars and has lots of parking. We will definitely be returning (hopefully before our 20 year anniversary!)

Room Tip: mountain or lake view so you are at the back of the hotel
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
London, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

The hotel is in a good location and I really appreciated the regular minibus service available both morning and afternoon, and the great thing is you don't need to pre book it. All the staff I spoke with are very friendly and helpful, and the waiting staff are so efficient.

The hotel is quite quaint, and the wellness area is great, although it would have been better if the pool had been heated a bit more, as it was too chilly for me to use, but the jacuzzi made up for that, it must have been 30 degrees, at least. You can also relax in the loungers overlooking the lake, which is very tranquil.

I had 3 treatments in the Grand Spa area, they were very relaxing and worked a treat.

There is WIFI available in the lobby and one computer, but if you have a laptop, for a 20 euro deposit you can borrow a dongle to use in your room.

My room was overlooking the train line, which isn't very picturesque, but to be fair by the time I've come back from skiing, it's dark and therefore I'm not that bothered. Unless I had the windows open I couldn't hear any noise from passing trains.

In terms of the dinner menu, i think if you are a meat eater it is very good. There is generally a choice of 3 menus and you can mix and match from them. I'm a vegetarian however, and on some of the days (when there was a buffet main meal) they only had meat dishes for the starter and soup courses, although the waitress did say the chef could make me something else. The salad buffet was very good though, but I felt the vegetarian main menu could be a bit unimaginative.

The bedroom was very comfortable and there is even a pillow menu to choose from, which offer different benefits.

I have to say my stay was very good and I would definitely stay here the next time I'm in Zell Am See.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
York, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

If you are looking for a hotel with up to date gizmos in the room this is not the hotel for you. If you appreciate old world charm, a high standard of service and exquisite dining you will love The Grand.

The rooms are traditional and comfortable. They are not modern and stylish as most hotels in this star rating but were very clean and large. The biggest selling point for this hotel are the fanatastic staff and the high standard of dining

We stayed at the hotel for New Year and my gosh what a New Years Eve we had, probably the best ever. We will certainly be returning for next New Year.

The hotel although not right on the ski slopes runs a very well run courtesy bus. Even on the most busy days we were on the slopes within 10 minutes.

The Grand is well situated to enjoy the resorts selection of apres ski as it is so close to the village centre. There are also some fabulous boutiques within walking distance.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Wexford, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

My family and I stayed at the Grand Hotel Zell am See for one week. We were attending a wedding in the area as well as trying some skiing and snowboarding. The hotel staff were excellent and very friendly, the food each night was a delight and although I am pregnant and could not ski, I was able to use the facilities of the grandspa, which was extremely relaxing and therapeutic. My family and I will defiantly be making a welcome return to this beautiful hotel.
Aoife O'Neill
Ireland.

Room Tip: All rooms are very spacious and clean
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

The hotel is in a great location with wonderful views! We had a lakeview room with balcony and it was perfect! The underfloor heating was very warm but the staff were very happy to turn it down. food was lovely. train does run along front of hotel though it was never a problem.

• Stayed December 2012

Been to Grand Hotel Zell am See? Share your experiences!