“Great value for money” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Alpenland Sporthotel

You added Alpenland Sporthotel to your Saves list
Alpenland Sporthotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Hans-Kappacher-Strasse 7-9, Sankt Johann im Pongau 5600, Austria   |
“Great value for money”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014

Stayed just one night but the service we received from minute we arrived into a busy reception area was excellent. We arrived just as a large group were checking in some of which had problems, questions regarding their booking etc., but despite the reception staff being under pressure, we were made to feel like valued customers even though we were only staying one night.

We had two single rooms, which we found to be spotlessly clean, great extras as bathrobe, lovely toiletries and white fluffy towels. I heard one guest complain that the single rooms were small? What do people want to do in their room...hold a party? The single room was more than adequate for one guest staying, good comfortable bed, clean crisp linens, nice size bathroom.

Breakfast was excellent, with a plentiful selection of freshly prepared foods. Nicely appointed dining room with helpful staff. But for me the reception staff get the five stars, Robert the Manager was efficient, professional, and always with a smile. He and his team did a great job.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
Harald O, Manager at Alpenland Sporthotel, responded to this review, August 7, 2014
Dear Papillion7,
Thank you very much for your lovely feedback! I am indeed thankful to read your review and for sure I will share your feedback with my team, I am sure my team will be happy to know you have commended high on our service.
Look forward to welcoming you again in the near future.
With Kind regards
Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Denton
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014 via mobile

I have mixed feelings on this property. We traded out our 2 bedroom timeshare, I knew that we would be downsizing our trade, to 2 studio units which connect by a door. The units assigned to us were on the front of the building looking straight into the side of a yellow building. I went to the front desk and asked for a Mt. View, they explained that there were no connecting units on the back mountain side. I said that since there were only 2 of us we really did not need the extra room anyway but that a Mt. View was very important. We ended up on the 3rd floor on the back side with a beautiful view, and balcony. We were happy, coming from Texas it is all about the view! The hotel was very clean, the pool area great. The rooms need updating, old and worn furniture, and the bathroom is tiny.
The location is great, walk to shopping, restaurants, pharmacy. You can walk to the train station or better yet 5euro taxi. We did not have a car but were able to get around for a week worth of fun by bus or train. We took the bus to Alpendorf, gondola ride. The train to Salzburg twice, the train to Werfen, walked to the castle from the station. It would have been a little easier with a car. We felt the hotel staff was very accommodating, they were friendly, and helpful with what ever questions we had. I would rate this property much higher if the rooms were updated.

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Hello KatherynC,

Thanks for your time to share your feeling about our property and services during your staying with us. We do believe many people will read your comment for their reference when they are planning to go St. Johann.
I hope we can look after you again in the near
future.
All the best
Hopton on Sea, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

I stayed for 4 nights whilst on business in the area. The hotel is well located, right in the centre of town, close to all the shops and restaurants. It has free parking in an underground and a great gym with pool attached to it. The staff on check in were very polite and I was given a double room looking out to the mountains, which was a great view every morning. Rooms 220-234 have good views and I would surmise those directly above on floor 3 will have too. Breakfast was EXCELLENT, good choices, lots of fruit, meat, salads, breads etc all very fresh and healthy. I was very impressed. Rooms were a good size with a sofa bed, table and large bathroom, although it was quite a high bath which some may find difficult to get in to! The rooms and the hotel in general was very clean and tidy. Strangely, there is no safety deposit box but you can secure your valuables by getting one from reception? Only one english channel which was a bit disappointing considering I was there 4 days. That said, the wifi signal was excellent but 18 euros for the week, which I thought was no problem. The gym is a bit dated but has lots of eqpt. The hotel in fact has a restaurant, bar, games room, etc etc etc. Overall, a good hotel, well located with lots of amenities and if booked early can be great value for money.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Hello scopie100,

We appreciate your comments regarding your recent stay with us; it is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.
I will share your comments with my team, who I am certain will be encouraged by your remarks.
We continuously strive to meet your needs and expectation.
With kind regards
Alexandria, Kentucky
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

We stayed here for a week through a time-share exchange through Interval International the last week of June. We stayed in a one bedroom, and we had a separate sitting area and table which was convenient. Our room did face the shopping area, however, we had a partial view of the mountains. Overall this hotel met our needs and we had good service! I would recommend going to the informational meeting on Sunday. Robert provided an informative powerpoint highlighting some of the areas sights. The hotel was conveniently located to shopping and other restaurants. We were also able to take lots of day trips to beautiful places (i.e. Halstatt, Ice Cave, castle nearby in Werfen, Krimml waterfall). Some things to consider, if you park on the street nearby the hotel make sure that you put on your dashboard a time clock showing what time you arrived. We did not do this and received a parking ticket. Also, beware that the bathtub and shower is very high and thus might be challenging for someone who is elderly or with limited mobility. The additional challenges we knew by reading previous reviews and by the information through our exchange (e.g. only a bar sized refrigerator, no ac, internet only one device at a time) and thus they were no huge factors. It did get warm a couple nights that we were there, however, we were able to deal with it through opening the windows and an internal fan. A couple of times the noise across the street was annoying, however, we didn't spend tons of time in our room as we explored the area! Dining highlights were the Italian restaurant (Cavalli) near the hotel and Suedlander ( a reasonable Greek restaurant) . Also, the chocolate croissants across the street in a coffee shop were excellent. The breakfast buffet at the hotel was also excellent with a wide variety of items to choose from. Also, if you enjoy swimming the hotel pool is big and would be good for swimming laps. One additional highlight was being able to attend a local festival!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear lovetotravel626,

Thank you for our lovely feedback. I am glad to know you had such an enjoyable stay with us. Do come and stay with us again soon!
Best regards,

Reigate, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

We stayed here for a week in a 1 bedroomed apartment.
These apartments do not even have kitchens which I did not know at time of booking although found out just before travel, so packed some plates, mugs, kettle. The room did have a mini bar to keep some stuff cool.
Our room was right above the main reception area which had the lovely view of the shopping mall and all the noise of people coming back late or more frequent, leaving early, so we were woken several times to vehicles outside at 6am. We wanted to leave the windows open for cool air at night but could not beacuse of the noise.
The hotel and room were very clean. It does feel very dated though. Very sad, over used sofas on the 1st floor corridors, things I would promptly send to the dump.
The bathrooms have tiles from the 70s! and in the WC under the Italian restaurant, there is some hidous orange toilets and washbasins, again right out the 70s or maybe 60s!
They do try to charge for everything.
Parking is 7 euros a day but there is a free car parking areas only about 100m away.
Wifi was 18 euros for a week.
They do breakfast and HB options (thats why we did not have a itchen no doubt) but there are plenty of places to eat out.

Good area to explore with the Gorge, Ice Cave and 'Where Eagles Dare' Castle nearby.
Salzburg is an hour away by train, look for the 35 euro tickets which up to 5 can travel on but only on some trains.
The shopping mall has a big supermarket in the basement, open from 7am, so good for breakfast food and beer.

Room Tip: Ask for a mountain view room.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Harald O, Manager at Alpenland Sporthotel, responded to this review, July 17, 2014
Hi CazMoon,

Thank you for your honest and balanced feedback and we truly appreciate and value our guest comments. About the next door building we are sorry but at the time we built our Hotel this was not existing. About our bathrooms we are in the process of renewing them starting the fall. About parking and Wifi, this is optional and up to our guests to use and about the kitchen it is clearly stated on every confirmation that de do not have kitchen facilities.

Hope you will give us a chance to welcome you again.
Best regards,

Cedar Falls, Iowa, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

We spent a week here. We are typically B & B people so this wasn't really ideal but it was fine. We had a partial view of some mountains unlike others who can only see the building across the street. There are restaurants and a bar in the facilities and numerous recreational things that we did not use. Those items are probably what made this place more expensive than other places we stayed on this trip. The balcony was good. The Wi-Fi cost 16E for the week and only one person could use it at a time, which was a pain. There was a little refrigerator full of stuff we did not want to use. But you could stuff some beverages in there. There was no fan of any kind in the room, just heat. But they did find us a floor fan, which helped a great deal. We parked a couple of blocks away for free in a city lot.

Room Tip: If you want any kind of view, it is best to get a room in the back.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Hello Patrick A,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review. I am very glad that you enjoyed your stay with us.

We look forward to your return.

With Kind regards
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

I have just left one of the most gorgeous spots in the Austrian Alps using it as a week's timeshare. You need a vehicle to make best use of your time there, although Salzburg is accessible by train.

There were positives and negatives, so hope I portray a balanced view.

Positives:

Great location, walking distance to all local shops and restaurants.

Nice sized room with great view over the mountains.

Comfortable bed.

Great sauna and steam room.

Staff at reception were helpful if you pushed them, but not forthcoming otherwise.

Theodora serving in Wally's bar is an absolute gem, excellent service and very much enjoyed her humour etc at night in the bar.

Adrian and Paul from the timeshare management were great guys and also fantastic company in the bar after hours

Negatives:

No concierge and reception staff were not always knowledgeable on the surrounding area for advice

One powerpoint in my room was near the bathroom and pretty much useless without an extension cord.

The shower is in the bath and it is an extremely high bath to climb into.

My first night it was extremely hot and no air conditioning. room having been shut up all day it was like a greenhouse. I went down at 2am to see what could be done and 15 minutes later up came a fan, but said powerpoint would have fan no-where near bed, so 15 minutes later an extension cord arrived. A simple bit of advice that the window could be open wide to let in the night alpine air would have been all that was needed. I worked this out myself the next day.

Only able to connect one device to the wifi, in this day and age most of us travel with at least two devices. So whilst doing things on my laptop in the room, my smartphone could not be connected to the wifi. This is the first time I have come across this in a hotel.

One woman who worked in the pizzeria on the Sunday and in the other restaurant on another night I was there I found extremely grumpy and unhelpful. Was not impressed when I arrived early evening on my first night and only wanted a beer at that pint and not the meal. I asked here what else was open close by and she bluntly told me "nothing", I would have to eat there. Went for a walk and found five places to eat within five minutes walk, like chalk and cheese comparing her to Theodora.

Would I stay here again? Yes I would, thoroughly enjoyed my time in this very special part of the world. It would just be nice if there were not the negatives next time.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Dear KiwiPatC,

We appreciate your comments regarding your recent stay with us; it is always a pleasure to receive positive Feedback. I am very sorry what happened in the Restaurant and for your info Theodora is not working for us anymore.

Best regards
Manager

Been to Alpenland Sporthotel? Share your experiences!