“Splendid stay!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Theresia Gartenhotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Saalbach-Hinterglemm
Theresia Gartenhotel
You added Theresia Gartenhotel to your Saves list
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Glemmtaler Landesstrasse 208, Saalbach-Hinterglemm 5753, Austria   |
Offers & Announcements
Package Deal
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
“Splendid stay!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

We spent 8 nights at the apartment section of the Theresia Gartenhotel for winter break. We traveled with a group of 6 families with adults & teenagers and everyone had a splendid stay! The apartments were well equipped with everything we needed. The beds were comfortable enough though the pillows were lacking (we asked for extra pillows & that helped a lot). It was wonderful to have working wi-fi throughout the hotel & apartment areas! So many times we have stayed in places like this that claim wi-fi throughout and find out it really isn't so. The breakfast & dinner inclusive meals were awesome. The breakfast bar was complete with many meats, cheeses, breads, cereals, & yogurts, as well as, any types of eggs we wanted cooked fresh. We had our choice of cappuccino, coffee, or tea. The dinner menu was very extensive and there was many salad to choose from each evening and cheeses. The staff in the restaurant were phenomenal! They took very good care of us with a smile constantly on their face! Thank you Tina & the others!! My son used the ski school in the hotel & had a wonderful instructor for snow boarding (Renee was his name). I didn't use the spa services, but I had several friends get massages & they were very pleased. My husband & son enjoyed the sauna, steam room & the gym. The location of the hotel is great. It's about a 7 minute beautiful walk to Hinterglemm where you could go have lunch, shop, or get groceries. It is about a 30 min walk to downtown Saalbach and it too was a beautiful walk! I highly recommend the Theresia!

Room Tip: Ask for room that has 2 sinks in the bathroom.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
  • Turkish first
Annecy-le-Vieux, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

The Theresia hotel offers tremendous accomodation, food quality and a warm welcome. We had a very nice stay. The hotel offers all services(ski rental, ski pass), and a great spa area. We will come back for sure.

Room Tip: Get a room with a view on the outsidel pool
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Zurich, Switzerland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

I had previously written a much more detailed review and rated this hotel as a '2 (Poor)' but the owner then threatened me with legal action for "damaging his reputation". My lawyer told me that he has no grounds for such an action, but I am not interested in a legal fight, so I removed my previous review and am replacing it with a summary of my previous comments. Specifically, I have removed the comments that he explicitly objected to. Needless to say, all of my comments are opinions based on my experience of the hotel.

Before I give you that summary, I will say this. I travel a lot for work and pleasure and I estimate that for the last 12 years, I have spent around 150-200 nights per year in hotels . Of my previous reviews on Trip Advisor I have rated 88% of hotels as average or better, so I am generally quite forgiving. Therefore, I was pretty offended by Mr Brettermeier's complete disregard for my concerns as someone who had paid a lot of money to stay in his hotel, and his demands that I remove my review. However, this does at least seem to solve the mystery of why there are so few negative comments about the hotel on Trip Advisor.

- We stayed over New Year and paid over €1500 per person for a week – at that price level, expectations are high and were absolutely not met
- It is disappointing that there was absolutely no reaction to a comprehensively filled-in comments card explaining our issues with our stay at this hotel
- I have stayed in other 4 star superior ski hotels in Austria (most recently Feb 2013) and this hotel is absolutely not in the same league – I question whether they really deserve this rating
- The food is terrible
- The service is not good - staff just do not seem to care much about keeping guests happy
- Mrs Brettermeier was rude to us in person and now Mr Brettermeier has been rude to us in writing – in my opinion, this is a strange and unpleasant attitude for owners of a business which is dependent on customer satisfaction to take
- The rooms are OK but small and lack sufficient space to hang wet ski gear
- When the hotel is full, there is insufficient space on the boot room racks for all guests’ boots and the ski room is also overcrowded
- There is not enough attention paid to the small things that make a difference to your experience of a hotel, like clearing the car park of ice and snow so that you can easily drive in and out, and making sure that the ramp down to the boot room is not treacherously icy
- The location is convenient for the ski bus, but not if you want to get to one of the main lifts (and not the drag lift across the road) early in the day as the buses don’t start until 9am and the lifts open at 8.30am – prepare to pay for taxis if that is what you want to do
- The adults only part of the spa is nice but there are far too many children in the rest of the wellness area for that to be enjoyable

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
brettermeier, Inhaber at Theresia Gartenhotel, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Dear Mrs. Lisa-Jane,
Thank you for taking the time to write a new review without „food poisoning“. It was not acceptable to say during your stay in our hotel and later on Tripadvisor (the „food poisoning“ was online for about 3 weeks) that you got food poisoning without varifying this fact with a medical doctor. You had a (1 day) virus, which was not only in our hotel, but in the whole resort during a two to three week period from about Christmas to January.
We are happy, that you liked the adults only sauna area of our Mountain Green SPA and that you found your double room of 26m2 OK. The hotel has 9 rooms of this small size, all the other 44 rooms and suites have approximately 38 m2 to 88 m2 with much more space for ski gear and so on.
We are very sorry, that we could not meet your expectations regarding food and service.
Since the beginning of this winter we have lots of snow and there were and are still (end of February 2013) days and nights with uninterrupted snowfall, therefore it is almost impossible to keep the parking, the ramp to and from the ski/boot room and rental shop as well as the cars permanently free of snow, because the nature is faster…
The short drag lift opposite the hotel opens at 8.30am and gives the access to the extensive ski circus Saalbach-Hinterglemm; in 10 minutes on skis you reach three main cable cars which bring you on the mountain peaks, so it is not necessary to use the ski bus or a taxi (except one is beginner and can therefore not use a T-bar lift).
Regarding the overcrowded ski and boot room we are planning dedicated lockers per room, so this problem would be solved.
Last but not least we are a hotel for people from 0 to 99 years and during school holiday periods like Christmas/New Year we welcome many resident guests, families as well as couples and singles of all ages. If one prefers holidays without or only few children around, we advise our guests to book our hotel outside the school holiday seasons.
Harald & Marianne Brettermeier
Owners Theresia Gartenhotel****Superior
Falmouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

Yes, the hotel is situated 10 minutes walk from the centre of Hinterglemm, but access to the slopes is still quite straightforward and guests can enjoy the benefit of relative peace and quiet compared to hotels in the centre, - where we have stayed before. I have little to add to all the other good reviews, but two things in particular stood out. First, the extremely friendly and efficent service provided by all staff. Second, the availability of the owner, Marianne Brettermeier, who was genuinely interested in hearing guests comments and discussing anything that would further improve the already high standards of the Hotel. One final comment, - not only was there no charge for tap water at dinner (unlike several hotels in Obergurgl), but the soft drinks in the room mini-bar were all complimentary, - a nice touch!

Room Tip: As others have commented........ if you sleep with window open, the front rooms do pick up some nois...
Lincoln, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

Previously my partner and I have been skiing in Whistler Canada staying at the Fairmont Hotel. This was our first trip to Austria on a ski holiday and we chose this hotel based on the comments on trip advisor. I cannot praise this place enough as all aspects were to the highest standard and we are both very picky. Number one has to be the staff who are above all friendly, professional efficient and helpful. Not one person was anything other than as described, from management to room maid and this made us feel very much at home. The manager Marianne Bettermeier and her husband Harald are truly lovely people. The moment we arrived Marianne came to reception to introduce herself and offered a very warm welcome and a complimentary drink. Time was taken at the very outset to make us feel welcome and all the information we were likely to need during our stay was conveyed to us. Next we were shown to our room which was a Gamshag on the fourth floor. This was a beautiful room furnished to a very high standard and immaculately clean. The view was wonderful facing the slopes and had a huge amount of storage space, comfortable Bed and a stylish large bathroom. All parts of this hotel from the lobby to the bar, dining room and lounge area are stylish, clean comfortable and well cared for. Yet again this felt like a home from home. The food was exceptional and beautifuly presented, truly amazing! I have never seen so much choice at breakfast with the addition of a fabulous egg station serving omlette, fried egg, pancakes etc .. Evening meals were the same with three menus to choose from, including an excellent vegetarian and local menu and you could mix and match. We stayed for nine nights and never had any food choices repeated, again the selection was huge. A very pleasant addition to this was hot soup and a wonderful selection of cakes served late afternoon as we returned from the slopes to be eaten in the foyer area around the log fire, what a treat !
Access to the ski slopes was so easy with just a short walk or a free very regular five minute bus ride (bus stop right outside the hotel) to a huge and interesting complex of ski runs which we both found better than Whistler. The village of Hinterglemm was also just a very short walk. Everything was just so easy.
Based on what we have just experienced we have now changed our holiday plans for winter 13/14 as we were due to return to Whistler but now will deffinately return to Hinterglemm and the Theresia Gartenhotel. I cannot recommend this hotel highly enough!

Wiltshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

We enjoyed our stay in this excellent hotel. As vegetarians we had a full vegetarian menu and a whole food menu every evening instead of just the usual alternative main course at dinner and probably the best breakfast buffet we've come across in the Alps. Our bedroom was spacious and very comfortable.The lounge area has many comfortable sofas and the service from the waiter is speedy and pleasant. Being able to hire skis and purchase the lift pass at the hotel was a great convenience.The hotel would benefit from its own ski bus service, the resort ski bus to the Hinterglemm ski lifts stops (in theory) outside the hotel but every morning it was full and didn't stop. As it runs at a 20min frequency and consecutive buses didn't stop, this can result in a very long wait. It is a long walk to the Hinterglemm ski lifts in ski boots carrying skis.

Meopham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

Top class hotel with great food and a warm, friendly service from all the staff. I enjoyed the fantastic facilities - it is certainly a new experience having a swim in an outdoor heated pool while it is snowing heavily! There is good access to the slopes with a small T-bar about 5 mins walk away, and the bus stop is literally by the front door. I would thoroughly recommend it so don't hesitate book now.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Theresia Gartenhotel? Share your experiences!