“Mixed Feelings” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 34 Hotels in Mayrhofen
Ireland
“Mixed Feelings”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2008

It depends on what you are after in a hotel. Some people book for food, customer service etc. I book a hotel purely based on room & location. Similar to a previous reviewer I booked a "superior" room with Crystal. Looking at the hotel site the rooms looked fab.. how misleading they are. Dull dark drab and dreary are words I would use to describe. I even checked with reception if it was in fact a superior room. On the hotel site and crystal site each say superior rooms are in the new part of the hotel, how is this possible when my room was slap bang in the middle of the hotel? Very disappointed.

I must say however, that this is my only basis for 3 stars. I was edging towards 2 but thought that was a bit unfair based on room alone. Had the room been what i expected I probably would have given this hotel 4-5.

Location is great, near everything but not on the main street. Staff were so friendly and nice. Breakfast was good, typically austrian buffet, except this time we had to boil our own eggs. Not a problem but quite difficult to get right when you dont have a timer! Due to my picky eating habits we didn't have dinner at the hotel much, but when we did food was good & plentiful and service great.

Cleaning was ok, would have expected them to do more than make the beds and replace the towels but not too bothered. No shower in the bath? there was a shower head at knee level which didn't really make much sense, only really possible to have a shower & wash hair sitting in the bath?? Bizarre. One good thing about the room though, an actual full size bed! Not two singles pushed together.. very rare in austria! Could do with more english speaking channels on the tv.

Sauna and steam room facilites were great, thoroughly recommend a full body massage. Pity there's no pool!

Mayrhofen is great all round, I'm not going to comment on queues at then penkenbahn, what do people expect at a popular busy resort? Anyway these queues are generally only for the first couple of days of the week.

I will definitely be back to Mayrhofen for my third trip next year, but unfortunately not to the Hotel Rose.

Stayed February 2008

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
N Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2008

A friend and I stayed at Hotel Rose in Mayrhofen during Jan 08 for a weeks skiing in Mayrhofen. Booked through Crystal at a very good price. Hotel was excellent. Location was at most a 10 minute walk from Penken Gondola, usually took only 5 mins. Was just off main strip so no noise problems etc. We had read that the hotel was highly regarded for its food, and certainly found this to be the case. Staying half board, there was a full breakfast selection everyday both hot and cold, eat as much as you want basically. The evening meals were excellent, 5 courses each night, with beautiful presentation. There was a slight obsession with putting spray cream onto everything but in general the food was excellent. The room was fine for size with a decent bath/shower and separate WC. The bed was an Austrian twin - which basically means a double bed frame with two single mattresses and two single duvets. As we were two fellas of the heterosexual persuasion this was a little strange at first but apparently is standard practise across Austria. The Hotel staff were excellent, the waiting staff spoke good English and were attentive but not fussy. The hotel locks it's doors at 11pm so you must take your key to get back in. When we forgot to do this we luckily met two of the staff close by and after failing to get us in they took us to a club for the night where we eventually met up with other hotel staff one of whom had a key and got us in at 5am. I thought this showed how helpful and friendly the staff were.
In terms of facilities the Rose did not have a pool but it did have a sauna/solarium/steam room/jacuzzi. This was not an entirely nude area but most users were, it just takes a bit of getting used to for us Brits and Irish. The vast majority of the hotel guests were Dutch and German, both groups expect high standards in their hotels and I took this to be a good thing. Overall for the money and location I can thoroughly recommend the Rose.
In terms of the skiing I thought Mayrhofen was an excellent location offering great access to a huge ski area across the Zilertal area.

• Liked — Staff
  • Disliked — Lack of swimming pool
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2008

LOCATION
The location of Hotel Rose is fairly good, there are many good bars and restaurants nearby. It's about a 10 minute walk to the Penkenbahn Gondola which is also on the same road as the main drag of bars, shops and restaurants. It is also about a 5 minute walk to the tram stop where you can get the train to other ski areas such as Zell am See and Zillertal (use of this tram is free with your ski pass). There are also many ski buses available (free of charge with ski passes) which take you to many ski areas. There is a ski bus stop a 30 second walk from this hotel which takes you to the Penkenbahn gondola, there is also a bus station here where you can get a connecting bus to many other ski areas.

THE HOTEL
The hotel is classed as a 4 star.

HOTEL FACILITIES
There is an internet/recreational room, fitness room (gym), ski / locker room, sauna, whirlpool, bar and restaurant. There is one small lift that operates in the hotel and have to say it's temperemental - on some occassions, for reasons we couldn't figure out, after the calling the lift and waiting a few moments, then sometimes the lift button light would cancel itself and you had to press it again.

ROOMS
There are three classes of room, Category 1, 2 and 3. Category 3 is a standard room in the older part of the buiding, Category 2 is what is meant to be a superior room (at least that what Cyrstal calls them) in the newish part of the building and Category 1 are the best rooms available however these are only available to private guests.

The rooms are very disappointing but admit that this will depend on your taste and requirements (see photos). The decor is very dated, drab and depressing. The room we were given is supposedly a superior room but for me, failed to meet a 4* standard and felt more like a 2* standard to me. The room in this photo is also bigger than other superior rooms as we were given a room smaller then this initially. Storage is good however.
If you look on their website www.hotelrose.at, the summary of the rooms and photos are very very misleading. You will only find soap int the bathroom and no shower gel / bubble bath / shampoo / conditioner. There is also no room temperature control and you just have a radiator.

CLEANLINESS / MAID SERVICE
The maid service, to be fair, was good. Your rooms are cleaned in the morning and cleaned well. Although, I am a little messy as we always seem to be in a rush to get out the room and they didn't really tidy up any of the mess I left behind (by this i only mean like say a brush left on the floor or a lipstick etc). I have stayed in some 3* hotels which have at least picked these little things up or moved a towel that was left on the radiator to dry and folded it back up in the bathroom. Also, the soap was not replaced when this disintegrated after two days.

FOOD
We booked this holiday on a half board basis and is listed in Crystal as hot and cold buffet breakfast and 4 course evening meals with daily salad buffet.
BREAKFAST - the only things hot were fried eggs, scrambled egg and fried ham. A toaster is available to use (and i mean ONE kitchen toaster that takes 4 slices of bread), a boiling pot thingy for you to boil your own eggs and the rest is salad stuff and cobs etc. You get coffee bought to your table, however, if you want tea you have to make this at the buffet bar yourself.
EVENING MEALS - You do not get a 4 course dinner every night. We had a four course dinner for two nights, another night was a three course dinner and you then used the buffet for dessert, the other night was a two course dinner and you used the buffet for your second course and dessert and the remaining 3 nights was all buffet which you helped yourself to.

Overall, when being served courses the service was quick. They ran out of buffet items quickly and on a number of occasions was standing around waiting for more to come out.

STAFF / SERVICE
I have to say that the staff were nothing but friendly and helpful. There are a couple of staff members who were not particularly fluent in English which made things very difficult communicate at times.

VALUE FOR MONEY
We got a good deal for this hotel, thankfully, but still think it was overpriced for what we got.

SUMMARY
Firstly, I would not rate this hotel a 4*, definitely more a 3* rating but have to say that I've stayed in 3*'s which offered better food and nicer rooms. After the initial shock on how bad the rooms were I did start to warm to the hotel a little but by the end of the holiday was actually looking forward to leaving it all behind. Would I go back? Never.
The town of Mayrhofen and what Mayrhofen had to offer definitely helped me get through the week and if it wasn't for that then I would have probably spent the week crying!
I guess that this is maily due to the fact that I had high expectations for Hotel Rose with what their website says/shows and what Crystal said.

• Liked — Leaving.
  • Disliked — The standard of rooms / food.
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Rose? Share your experiences!