Falkensteiner Club Funimation Katschberg is located at the foot of Aineck and - more specifically - at the very end of the beautiful and only Direttissima, the double-black piste with several 100% falls. Just put your skis on and slide to the lift. Very convenient.
We are coming there for ski vacation for the third time in a row, and feel here like at home. Any criticism later on must be taken a bit from this perspective.
The hotel is very welcoming and warm, lots of light wood and cosy places to spend your day. We are always taking one of the Royal Suites, which provide a comfortable living for a family of 4: they are filled with light and provide a superb and unforgettable view of Tschanek, the other side of Katschi. Kids are a bit squeezed onto bunk beds in a sort of a walk-in-closet with no window, but for a week they don't complain.
The spa is beautiful. It has a separated kids section, a nice indoor and outdoor pool, where you swim during snowfalls and enjoy a terrific view of ski slopes and mountains. There is also a quiet room, Ruheraum intended for a tired skier to relax with zen music and - again - a splendid view.
The default choice is almost all inclusive, which means breakfast, light lunch and full dinner, including beverages during meals and fruit. Food is ok, a good choice of apetizers, but could have a bigger variety of main dishes. Too spicy in many cases, especially considering that it's a family resort. Bring your own cereals for dinner for kids.
They have their own skiing school for every variety and choice you might have. We took 10 hours of individual lessons for one of the kids - the teacher, Iztok was absolutely great!
If they would ask us for suggestions on improvements, I'd list the following:
- No espresso in the main bar until 9:30. Anyhow, their espresso after 9:30 is quite lame. A pity.
- No supervision and control in the spa. Jumping into the water, occasional discussion forums in the quite room and folks walking in shoes around the pools - this is not quite neccessary.
- Internet is not free.
- Spicy food causes some stress when discussing the menu with kids.
- One of the worst check in experiences in the last year we had here. The reception desk staff was quite hostile, which improved just slightly in the next days.
- If you watch TV (we don't when on vacation), you'll find the size of TV ridiculous. It's maybe 15" in the Royal Suite.
All in all, a hotel where we return to, and will do the same in 2014.