“Great beer and a cool vibe” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #10 of 35 Restaurants in Custer
Cuisines: American, Brew Pub
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Description: We are a brewpub in Custer, SD specializing in brewing handcrafted ales, Locally raised Beef and buffalo burgers, great homemade snacks, and Specialty sandwiches using local and seasonal ingredients. We have a large craft beer list to compliment the ales we brew onsite. Its a quiet place to bring your family and friends to enjoy the craft of the black hills
Buffalo, New York
“Great beer and a cool vibe”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

During the Black Hills Motorcycle Rally this year, we camped in Custer State Park and the town of Custer was a frequent stop. We heard there was a brew pub in town so decided to stop in one evening after a long day on the road. It was love at first sip for the Raw Beast Pale Ale! Now, I'm no beer expert, though I've had my share (and much, much more) of craft beers over the years, but there's something special about this beer. I couldn't get enough. The other beers I tried were very good as well. The Black Bean Burger was excellent.
Very friendly staff and owner, and the place had a cool vibe. Would definitely recommend!

Custer, South Dakota
“Good food, nice service, watch the "substitutions"”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

My wife and I went there with my four year old son, because we had heard about it around town and thought we'd celebrate the end of a long and arduous garage sale.

My first impression was not so good as there is a sign outside which says "No Public Restrooms." I asked if that meant none at all or if it meant simply no restrooms for non-paying customers. It was just that there was no restroom for non-paying customers. Not real impressed with that. Just seems kind of an "in it for myself" mentality.

Anyway, we were greeted by friendly staff, and were seated immediately. The food choices were limited to burgers and home fried chips and a few other sandwiches.

We ordered the baked potato nachos and they were amazing!!! The burgers were great, and the food was well prepared, tasty, and priced just a hair high (11 dollars for a burger with two toppings is a bit much I would say).

My only major stitch was that my wife asked if she could substitute a side salad for her coleslaw, and the server said "no problem," without another word about it. When we received the bill, she had charged 4 bucks for the substitution. Not a problem, but when you substitute something, it is a free exchange unless stated. She should have said "it will be an extra charge" or something. My wife felt really bad afterward about spending the extra money as she would have simply chosen the coleslaw had she known that it would have been 4 extra dollars. Most restaurants usually charge like a buck or two anyway.

So, for 2 sandwiches, an appetizer, and waters, we paid about 40 bucks...kind of high. The food was good, though. I did not have one of their brews, but I've heard good things about it.

Baltimore, Maryland
“Nothing bitter about Ester”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

In the Black Hills for the annual motorcycle rally. Looking for a good microbrew and a great beer and found both at Bitter Esters. Staff was very friendly and helpful. Tried three of their beers all were good and the Pale Ale was terrific. The buffalo wings and burger were very tasty as well. I will definitely visit Bitter Esters again.

Cincinnati
“Best Reuben ever!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

Sorry for this late review of a GREAT little place! We stopped by on 2 June shortly after a session of the Volksmarch Trail had passed through Custer. Bitter Esters is fairly small and they were packed upon our arrival. We were lucky to grab the last seat in the place...right next to the front window. We were greeted fairly quickly and drinks were ordered...1 beer sampler flight and iced tea. Nothing came quick during our visit - not due to a lack of hustle but a result of the overflowing crowd - but everything was worth the wait.

Their beers were well-appreciated after a stretch of mediocre brews along I-80 and I-90 while headed west. Each beer is well-crafted and very tasty. Their pale is a great example that is true to the style. For food we tried the Margherita pizza and the Brewbon - their take on the Reuben sandwich. I try Reubens wherever and whenever I can...I have had good, bad, and theirs is great. By far the most exceptional Reuben I have ever tasted. The corned beef is sliced thin and piled high, set off by really good sauerkraut, home-made dressing, and the best fresh-baked bun that is like a rye ciabatta.

Despite the crazy time he was having, one of the owners stopped by to ask about our visit and told us some of the story behind Bitter Esters. If you are near Custer, they are definitely worth a visit.

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Kansas City, Missouri
“Great local brews! Food ok.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

We really enjoyed the local brews. The food was decent but nothing to rave about. Nice atmosphere and good service. I would go there again.

• 3 of 5 stars Food