“Noisy, but pleasant” 4 of 5 stars

You added Days Inn Custer to your Saves list
Days Inn Custer
519 Crook St., Custer, SD 57730   |
Ranked #17 of 19 Hotels in Custer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
SARVER
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

Okay, a hotel is a hotel. That is true. This one is in a great location, it was very clean, the shower pressure was great, and the price was wonderful. Pretty much everything you could want in a hotel. However, this hotel has something extra special - - super great owners that go out of their way to make your stay memorable and to help you in every way that they can. We stayed at the hotel the very first week of October and it snowed. The owner went out to his car to get his own snow brush to let me borrow it so that I could brush the snow off of my car. That is just one example of how great these owners are. We are definitely going to stay there again when we return to SD in two years!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Days Inn

Hayward, Wisconsin, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

I booked this motel through Days Inn on-line the night before our needed stay, because I had no cell service. It looked decent on the web page. There was something going on in Custer, SD that weekend so I wanted to be sure of a motel. We checked in at about 1:30pm in order to tour Custer Park. The grounds had limited parking, empty bottles laying at the entrances, uncut brown grass, dirty sidewalks, piles of cigarette butts laying beside one entrance. We checked on the room. It smelled bad and the beds were very hard. Very sparse furniture in room. The halls and entrance were very dark and dirty carpeting. This was about 2:00 in the afternoon when you would think everything was cleand up. I tried to cancel and get my money back but was told by the attendant, who spoke broken English, that it was impossible. He also added $10.00 per nite because it was a weekend even after our objection. We left without putting anything in the room and found another motel. I had to call Days Inn customer complaint to get anything done about a refund. I also called my mastercard help # to dispute the charge. This was a disaster and really ruined our weekend. This lowered our already low opinion of Days Inn after experiencing poor ones in FL. Shoul have known better.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
daysinncuster, Webmaster at Days Inn Custer, responded to this review, December 7, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Days Inn Custer for your recent stay in our area. I am glad that you like the location.

• Staff members received instruction in finding someone to help when there is a language problem between them and our valued guests.

• Maintenance was informed of the unpleasant smell you reported in the room assigned to you and instructed to see to its elimination.

I hope that the next time you visit our area; you will once again choose to stay at Days Inn Custer. We look forward to welcoming you back.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

This hotel is located on a road that leads directly to Rushmore. I'm glad I chose Custer because I found Hill City a "little sleepy," and Keystone, though right at the base of Rushmore, seemed very busy and touristy. Custer seems more genuine.
My party arrived to a sign on the door that said, "No Vacancies," so I anticipated a possible problem, but there was no problem. The man at the desk, who I believe was the owner, quickly and politely pulled up our reservations. My room was not luxurious, but it was clean,comfortable, and well worth the $77 I paid.
The free breakfast included a hot plate for guests to use to fry eggs, which was unique to the many Days Inns in which I have stayed. The hotel was located right in the center of Custer. Gas and a Quiznos were right across the street. Two grocery stores were within walking distance as were numerous shops and locally run restaurants.
The owner and other workers were polite with all members of my party during our stay. I recommend this hotel and would stay here again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

Stayed at this Days Inn figuring it would be a nice clean place to stay. At first it did seem alright but my opinion changed by the end of our stay. The staff was nice and polite although I don't think some of them spoke or understood english very well. The rooms was okay clean enough to sleep in but had much room for improvement. The room had somewhat of a smell and once the airconditioner was turned on, that smelled as well. The breakfast was a nightmare! We stood in line to cook our own eggs on one single griddle that EVERYONE used. That to me was definitely unsanitary! You could make your own waffles, which tasted awful, cereal, toast and some muffins. You would figure with 50 or more people eating breakfast about the same time that there would be a staff member in the breakfast area. There was no staff minding that breakfast bar and we had to go find someone twice to find silverware and napkins. If there is another hotel available, I'd skip this one for sure.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

• Staff received our commendation in the courteous, helpful manner in which they treated you our valued guests.

• Breakfast staff received additional training in presenting a proper breakfast and enlarging the choices which they offer.

Minneapolis, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

Took the suite with a whirlpool tub and living area or second bedroom. Very nice, clean, beds were hard and the toilet ran and ran but still decent for $110 a night. Continental breakfast was very good, cook your own eggs, waffles, etc. a bit better than most motels. One morning with no juice, machine broken and no eggs for some reason. Was good spot to base camp for our Black Hills activities for 4 days.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois, USA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

The management was extremely rude. Our booking were done 1 month in advance. We had called them 12 hours before we reached, that we will be reaching 2 hours before the checkin time and needed 2 rooms. He bluntly said we will see. We reached there at 12:00 pm and the manager was extremely rude, he said no room is available. How can that be the case, as we have made the booking. There were only 2 cars parked outside the hotel. Because of this person's rudeness we were forced to cancel the reservation and book another hotel at that time. Costed us more but much better than being humiliated. For some reason he was being nice to others but the people from his own race. Shame on you Mr.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

• Front desk staff received additional training in the courteous, helpful manner in which they are to treat our valued guests.

Hotel Manager.

Been to Days Inn Custer? Share your experiences!