“Beautiful views & rooms, great food” 5 of 5 stars

State Game Lodge
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   13389 Us Highway 16A, Custer, SD 57730   |
Ranked #10 of 19 Hotels in Custer
Danville, Pennsylvania, United States
“Beautiful views & rooms, great food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2012

From the minute you enter the lodge grounds, you know it's a beautiful place. But the food and room quality were the same standards. I actually stopped back at the Lodge restaurant to get the exact same meal I had the night before- it was that good. I stayed in all of the places- the cabins (were a little dirty), the Creekside (was beautiful and well kept) and the Coolidge Room (very neat- where President Coolidge stayed in 1927), and all were amazing. If you're looking for a family-friendly place to stay in Custer, definitely look up the Lodge. It also offers horseback riding tours, off-road buffalo tours, and many lakes and bike trails.

Room Tip: It is definitely worth it to get a room at Creekside if you want more of a hotel feel. If you have k...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
sglmanager, General Manager at State Game Lodge, responded to this review, July 25, 2012

I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and I appreciate you taking the time to write the review and I hope you can make a return trip to the Black Hills in the near future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Blandon, Pennsylvania, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

The restaurant was very expensive, but the food was excellent. The coffee was terrible. We booked the room 4 months in advance and stayed 6 days. The fitted sheets came off the bed 10 minutes after we laid down. They advertise wi-fi, however it never worked in the room. "They were fixing it". It did work in the lobby or front porch. The front desk was very helpful in providing wine glasses, information on forest fires and ice.

Room Tip: Our room was on the end, very close to the trash with a general patio outside the door. Did not sme...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Hope Island, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

We recently stayed there on a tour of the national parks.
The room we had was very adequate & clean.
This is a lovely location, very peaceful & makes one feel back to nature.
Would certainly stay here again if we ever come back this way.
Only had breakfast in the Restuarant & it was adequate.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your recent review. Custer State Park and the State Game Lodge are a great spot to headquarter out of to see the abundant wildlife and natural beauty of Custer State Park and the Black Hills. I appreciate you taking the time to write the review and I hope you can make a return trip to the Black Hills in the near future.
Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012

We are really disappointed in our stay at the State Game Lodge. We had been told that it was such a fantastic place, but frankly, we couldn't understand why. We had poor customer service from the moment we arrived. We are not high-maintenance people, either. Our first morning's breakfast from the restaurant was cold and not made to order. Our waitress had difficulties understanding our English. Perhaps the thing that bothers us the most is that after a day of hiking, we arrived back to our room late in the afternoon to find our door open relatively wide open. We are much too careful to leave with the door not closed all the way. The room had not been cleaned yet and replacement towels not left. Did the housekeeping staff start on the room and then get side tracked? I found the general manager and she was somewhat apologetic, but could explain no further. This stay left a sour taste. At checkout, I was treated briskly. Again, we don't need to be pampered, but an occassional smile by service staff goes a long way. I would not recommend State Game Lodge. If I were to do it over again, I would stay at the Creekside place down the hill. I took a peak in there and they greeted me and asked me how my day was. With so many lodging options, it is important to be hospitable to your guests.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your recent review. I am sorry that the State Game Lodge did not meet your expectations. We strive extremely hard to insure that each and every guest to our lodge receive the highest quality service and products, returning home with a very favorable impression of Custer State Park and our facilities. However, on occasion we fall short of the high standards we have set for ourselves and we appreciate the fact that you have taken the time to bring this to our attention. I have taken the liberty of sharing your review with my Front Desk staff along with my housekeeping staff and the rest of my depatment heads to help us do better. Thank you again for taking the time to write this review, it helps us improve on our performance.
Huntington Beach, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

This was an unexpected stay and the lodge once was the summer White House for Calvin Coolidge. The surrounding area was beautiful. The lodge was beautiful, had a gift shop and restaurant. The restaurant wasn't inexpensive but it was very good. The room was small, two queens and the only internet was inside the lodge itself not in the rooms. Our room appeared to be clean but there was urine in the toilet which was not an expected delight and made the room seem unclean. We made this known and they sent someone in to clean it but it was already past 7 pm and we were tired. It was mentioned to us that several people complained that their rooms were not clean.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

We have made some recent changes in the housekeeping department and I'm glad to say that improvements have been made.

Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

We stayed here the last couple of days of June. It was a nice motel/hotel. Creekside looks to be pretty brand new and the room was large and comfortable. Our room and hallway were very quiet. It made for a nice respite when done touring around Custer State Park.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

Wonderful experience! The motel rooms are connected to the lodge. We stayed on the ground floor of the two story unit. There are flowers planted outside each room with lush grass lawns. We appreciated that the air-conditioner was on when we arrived on a very hot day. The bedding is beautiful with wildlife on the spread and pillow shams with matching bed ruffle. The shower curtain too has buffalo/deer/wildlife print. The room itself was immaculately clean as was the bathroom. The bathroom is a bit tight although the tub/shower is big. No room to change in the bathroom so families should keep in mind that there isn't much privacy. The tv had sufficient channels and great reception. We ate in the lodge dining room, both lunch and breakfast, both meals were good and the service friendly. We enjoyed relaxing on the porch with a drink from the bar. Be sure to check out the fireplace, it's beautiful. The staff was friendly, the room rental was fair, and the property well-maintained. One thing, there are a lot of steps, some of the guests had a hard time on them. Otherwise, I highly recommend this property.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Insider Tip: Ask for a room on the second floor when staying the motel rooms. They are at the ground level with no steps from the upper level parking area.

Been to State Game Lodge? Share your experiences!