“Between Tikal and Yaxha Ruins” 5 of 5 stars
Review of La Casa De Don David

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in El Remate
La Casa De Don David
You added La Casa De Don David to your Saves list
Route to Tikal, El Remate 17022, Guatemala   |
Ranked #2 of 9 El Remate B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Between Tikal and Yaxha Ruins”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

La Casa De Don David is a fabulous place to stay.
The accommodation is clean and comfortable and the grounds are pretty with great views of the lake.
The breakfast is good and included in the price- make sure you get a drink delivered on the balcony over the lake!!!
Melver was exceptionally helpful- organising different tours for us and helping arrange our onwards transport (he was a real hero!!!)

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
CUMBRIA ENGLAND
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

I stayed at Casa de Don David twice earlier this year, returning to complete a total of six weeks there in all.Having travelled for many years all over the world, I would rate this as one of the nicest places, in its price range. It is beautiful,clean,and quiet, and situated in it's magnificent garden on the stunning turquoise Lago de Peten Itza,a tranquil area in which to take lakeside walks or swims. Meals are excellent, and David, Rosita, and Kelsey are lovely welcoming hosts and Mel and Johanna always helpful. Must not forget Lucas the dog, also extra special! Sue R

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
Surprise, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

We decided to take our family to Tikal this year. We were 10 total.
When we came across La Casa de Don David online, we immediately fell in love with the place. Upon arriving and walking through the gorgeous gardens, we knew we made the right decision.
The staff is super friendly and flexible with your requests.
The Hotel is cute and clean
The food is AUTHENTIC Guatemalan dishes, soooo delicious!
The Gardens are SPECTACULAR! So much to see!
The Ceiba is beautiful!
Luke is the owner's friendly dog. He likes to hang out with the gusts, so don't be scared. He is super nice. ---> My cousins and aunts practives yoga with me on our first day at the hotel, and we were pleasantly surprised to see Luke practicing Yoga with us!!

Overall, I know we will defenitely be back and share more vacations at La Casa de Don David.
I give it an A+++++++++

Room Tip: Make sure you keep your doors closed so that the moskitos wont come in and bite you at night.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here with my husband and two sisters, one of the most restful night's sleep we had in Guatemala!! Gorgeous grounds, wish we would have had more time to explore them...:(... Reaaally good food!! We had their complimentary dinner the evening we arrived.. Rooms basic but clean and cute.. What else do you need right? And just a lovely relaxed atmosphere about the place..and with the stunning lago peten itza right next door... The value couldnt be beat!! WILL be coming back Don David!!

• Stayed September 2011
Brussels, Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

I was trying to get to the hotel in the Tikal park but arrived too late in Sta. Elena and as the next bus was going to El Remate, although it was already evening time, I thought I would try my luck - and my luck was in. I got an albeit spartan but perfectly correct room and bathroom. I slept very well . But better than that was the wonderful helpfulness of both Johana and Melver, who - always with a smile - would give me all the information I needed, organise my taxis for private tours (and find someone to share the costs with on one occasion) and sort out all my problems!. The setting is wonderful as it is on the lake - I did go swimming in the lake which was also glorious! They have an excellent terrace overlooking the lake with the Toucan Express (a boxed-tray on a wire going straight to the bar so that you don't have to move to get another drink!). I found the food to be excellent and sitting in the restaurant watching the sun set over the lake was rather special. All in all, many thanks to you both for being such charming hosts during my stay. And please thank the cooks for being so obliging when I chopped and changed meals because of dietary restrictions.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
South Lake Tahoe, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012

Pros: welcoming, friendly, family-run, clean, good food, location on Lake Peten Itza with beautiful Mayan garden in close proximity to Tikal, the location felt very spiritual
Cons: rooms are pretty basic
I arrived in El Remate late after a long day on the road from the Belizean coast. I was greeted by the friendly English-speaking proprietor's daughter. After explaining that I intended to explore Tikal at dawn, she offered to arrange a tour for me, which I gladly accepted.
Dinner was included in my room cost. It consisted of fresh-caught fish from the lake. (I later learned they were cichlids!!! Who knew cichilds could be so tasty??) My room was under the dining room and didn't come with A/C, but it was only about $30 including dinner. I would gladly stay again, but would request a room with A/C instead. Tikal at dawn was amazing and my tour guide was very engaging and well-informed about the Mayans and Tikal. A brown bag lunch was included. I would definitely recommend Tikal at dawn. It's much, much cooler and you get the added bonus of hearing the howler monkeys declaring their territorial boundaries. When we left in the afternoon it was hot, humid, and loads of tour buses were arriving from Flores and Belize. I checked out after one night, but only because I was off to do some spelunking.

Room Tip: I would try to get a room that has A/C.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
WERCHTER
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

pro:
-location, nice garden , good food
-efficient hotel and good staff
- nice ambiance
- very valuable information on the Mayan culture

contra:
-spartanic rooms
-noise at night! (barking dogs, evangelic church, etc)
-no direct access to the lake (for swimming)

i would stay there again but check other options in the neifghbourhood with more comfortable rooms and direct access for swimming in the lake (with the children)

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to La Casa De Don David? Share your experiences!