“A vibrant, lively city” 5 of 5 stars
Review of New Orleans

Map
Satellite
Map updates are paused. Zoom in to see updated info.
Reset zoom
Updating Map...
New Orleans
Directions
New Orleans, LA
Los Angeles, California
“A vibrant, lively city”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2009

Visiting in 2008, I wondered how the city would be recovering from Katrina. And there are definitely still parts of the city that are being rebuilt (and some that aren't even that far along).

Overall, though, it was an amazing city. The people are friendly, the atmosphere is lively and welcoming. And New Orleans just offers so many different options for any traveler, that it's hard to go wrong!

The French Quarter is a walk-able district that lends itself to getting lost and exploration. The Garden District is easily visited on the St. Charles Streetcar, and provides a fun, relaxing ride in the middle of the day.

Music is amazing, and walking around you'll find small venues with all types of music, though the jazz and blues are hard to beat.

Food is a major attraction here, with jambalaya, Muffaletta, Beignets and more.

Take the time to experience all the city has to offer, and you won't be disappointed. With so much history and legend, it's an amazing city to explore.

New Orleans
“New Orleans”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2009

Fabulous city to visit. Tons to see and do. Make sure to venture outside of the French Quarter to visit some of the excellent restaurants, bars and parks and see some of the beautiful architecture and gardens.

denham springs, la
“Easy, Breezy in the big Easy”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2009

Had a wonderful stay. Room service was fantastic. Best nights sleep I have gotten in awhile. Bed was fluffy and soft.

nj
“New Orleans with my mother and 12 year old son”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2009

While I was hesitant to stay on Bourbon Street in August with my 70 year old mother and 12 year old son it turned out to be a great trip for all of us!
First of all HOT. My mother could not bear the heat but hung in there most days. The pool was a welcome treat when we were done touring and shopping. The "shops" on Bourbon were a bit sleazy for my son but it was a good experience in how you do not want to live your life. I would stay off Bourbon next time, probably stay somewhere in the French Quarter near the waterfront.

Lots to see during the day, tours galore including the Katrina Rebirth Tour by Tour New Orleans. Very good and informative. Grey Line tours were also good, a bit less "flavorful". Take the trolley into the Garden District and walk around, very beautiful. I would not stay here, too far from the neat stuff in the French Quarter. Took a horse and carriage ride, the Nachez steam boat trip and my son was interested in both.

Too many restaurants to choose from at night(a good problem), many with a price fix meal which made eating in nice places a bit more reasonable. Emerils was a hit as was Acme Oyster House.

Great place for people of all ages!

Lewiston, Idaho
“French Quarter? SCARY!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2009

We arrived in New Orleans on July 4th 2008 in the late afternoon. We used our GPS to guide us down to the French Quarter/Bourbon Street area. Once we got down there...we were nothing short of SCARED. My wife, who is normally the most relaxed of the two of us, chose to just "drive through" the area. We had NO desire to exit the vehicle for a stroll. Maybe with an M-16.....damn. I've been to many larger cities and I must say the level of "strange people" was through the roof. There were cops EVERYWHERE (Thank Goodness). This place looked like a madhouse. Perhaps we're overreacting a bit, but you "go with your gut" sometimes.....and this felt like one of those times.

We quite simply did NOT feel safe whatsoever.

We drove on to swamp/bayou country where we did some swamp tours and were in a much more relaxed environment.

If you grew up in New York or Los Angeles this may not seem like much to you, but for us Idaho folks.....S C A R Y .

We were let down, big time.

Been to New Orleans? Share your experiences!