“Halloween/Voodoo Fest/Marriage Proposal Weekend! :)” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Antebellum Guest House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Antebellum Guest House
Save Saved
You added Antebellum Guest House to your Saves list
1333 Esplanade Ave., New Orleans, LA (Mid-City)   |
Ranked #24 of 146 New Orleans B&B and Inns
Santa Rosa Beach, Florida, United States
“Halloween/Voodoo Fest/Marriage Proposal Weekend! :)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013

As I knew I was planning to propose to my girlfriend over the Halloween/Voodoo Fest weekend, I knew I didn't want to stay in your average run of the mill hotel. So I had a New Orleans local friend of mine do a little digging and she found this special gem for me. I had never stayed at a Bed and Breakfast before but upon initially speaking to Keith (our host) and telling him my plans I knew this was the place. The accommodations at the Antebellum are very unique and special...full of rich history and beautiful antiques. But the true standout appeal of the Guest House was our host, Keith. He has an obvious passion for his craft and made us feel right at home immediately. Each morning was filled with amazing culinary delights and delicious conversation. We had the pleasure of making some new friends at our breakfast table including Keith's partner, Art...a great storyteller and fabulous fellow. My marriage proposal and the weekend worked out perfectly and unforgettably thanks in large part to Keith and his gracious hospitality. My soon-to-be wife and I will definitely return on our subsequent trips to the Big Easy. Thank, Keith! :)

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Victor, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

Our trip to New Orleans was fabulous due in no small part to our hosts and accommodations at The Antebellum Guesthouse. The room we stayed in was well appointed , clean and comfortable. The comman areas and delightful garden add to the charm of the place. The breakfasts were simply outstanding!! Keith prepared delicious breakfast courses with a bit of a historical perspective on the origins of the food and meals prepared in old time New Orleans. These meals kept us satisfied for most of the day, be prepared to eat well! Two bicycles were available to us and we used them almost everyday touring the French Quarter and other districts in the city. Keith was very helpful providing information and directions to places to visit, dine, walk, bike etc.
As hosts, Keith and Art are excellent and it is evident they care very much about their guests and their needs. They are also a lot of fun to chat with around the breakfast table! Our trip was memorable not only for the experience of being in New Orleans but also for being guests at this wonderful Guesthouse!!
Carolee and Ed Victor, NY

Room Tip: Stayed in the Rococo room. Nicely appointed, clean and comfortable. Private entrance to outdoor gard...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

After four nights at a corporate hotel in NOLA my girl friend and I wanted something smaller and more personal. From Tripadvisor reviews we chose The Antebellum for a really delightful stay with our hosts Keith and Art. Keith takes the antebellum theme to heart wearing period clothes within his immaculately maintained 19th century home that is in easy walking distance from the French Quarter but removed enough to be quiet at night. We stayed in the charming Rococco Room which, although the smallest, was extremely comfortable. The breakfasts of coffee, fresh fruit, pastry and a different egg dish each morning were delicious and beautifully prepared. Keith is very welcoming, sharing his knowledge of New Orleans history as well as his expertise in the concoction of vintage cocktails, love of old music boxes and a myriad of other topics. I really don't know how our experience could have been better and look forward to a return visit.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

We stayed here a couple of years ago for an anniversary trip with another couple, and had a great time. We wanted to stay somewhere we could have privacy, but also a common living area to hang out in.

We rented the upstairs suite, with two bedrooms, a kitchen, and a living area. It was perfect for the four of us. The only drawback to the room was that the furniture in the living area wasn't very comfortable -- the antique-y sofa had very aggressive springs.

Other than that, our stay was 100% top rate.

The highlight was the morning breakfast and hospitality. In a city known for its great food and lifestyle of excess, the breakfasts Keith served (in tasteful period garb, using period serving ware) were excessively amazing. Each meal was 3 courses with a pastry (amazing) a cornucopia of fresh fruit, and a main dish. Re: main dish: eggs baked in cream is the bomb. These breakfasts are not for the faint of heart. Figure on exceeding your daily allotment of calories before 10 AM.

The rooms are a good value. Keith is a wealth of knowledge about New Orleans past and present. He puts heart and soul into restoring and maintaining his house with integrity. The garden area is very nice. The location is a nice little walk to the French Quarter. Don't expect to be in the heart of French Quarter hubbub. But easy enough to get to.

We look forward to a return trip.

Room Tip: Talk to Keith by phone ahead of time to help pick your room.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

We visited New Orleans over the 4th of July weekend and had the pleasure of staying with Keith and Art at the Antebellum Guest House. Keith was a wonderful host and is very knowledgeable about the history of the area. You can tell he puts his heart into the B&B and the experience he shares with his guests. The daily breakfast is amazing!!

I highly recommend Antebellum Guest House and I will definitely be back next time I go to New Orleans! 5 stars!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Okemos, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

Can we give 6 stars? Ten? Everything others say is true: period breakfasts to die for; hosts who are welcoming, fascinating, helpful, funny, and difficult to leave; a house that overflows atmosphere, yet offers attention to detail. Solid value for cost. More than a place to stay, we found it to be a destination in itself, as enjoyable as anything else in the city. Keith felt like a friend before we arrived, and he and Art didn't disappoint. This is an old house with small imperfections to be expected in a building its age (yet comfortable A/C and no shortage of hot water). For sterile "perfection," stay elsewhere. For character, history, location, and the real Nawlins deal, stay here. Ask about the owners' Katrina experience. Our visit was our honeymoon, and the venue exceeded every expectation.

Room Tip: Queen rooms were filled, so Keith gave us the 2BR suite at the room rate. Website photos and descrip...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013 via mobile

I wanted to take my boyfriend to New Orleans for his Birthday since he had never been. I read a lot of reviews and decided I wanted a bed and breakfast, not a hotel. The reviews about Keith's breakfast are what sold me and we were not disappointed. From beginning to end he was a great host. He welcomed us with the grand tour of the home which was beautiful with high ceilings and decor from the 1800's. it truly felt like we were stepping back in time. He carried my heavy suitcase up to our room which was the 2 bedroom since that's all that was available. The decor was very eclectic , the kitchen and bathroom were quite simple but suited our needs just fine. We had a coffee maker and he even got me the creamer I wanted since he was going to the store. The bed was like sleeping in a cloud it was so comfortable. Great water pressure in the shower too.

Now for the breakfast!! Wow, every morning was a culinary delight with 3 courses. Fruit, then pastry ,then main course . Afterwards you will feel like you need a nap. And this is no regular fruit cup I can assure you. I'm still dreaming of the cherry turnover that was fresh and hot. I could go on and on about the food but I will post pictures instead. Suffice it to say you are nice and satiated to head off on your adventures. We weren't hungry again until 2 pm.

Keith also gave us a lot of good advice on where to go. On Saturday he sent us off on the bikes there to go to the sculpture garden which was beautiful. Art joined us at breakfast one day and had some great stories to tell.

The location was great. We enjoy walking so most of the time we walked back and forth from the French quarter. Only once or twice we took a taxi and it was only $6.

All in all it was a great stay! One more thing, I left my phone charger in the room and he mailed it back to me immediately. Keith works really hard and you can tell he really loves what he does. Thanks for all the hospitality!

• Stayed April 2013

Been to Antebellum Guest House? Share your experiences!