“Southern Hospitality at it's best!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Antebellum Guest House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Prices are for rooms, adults
Antebellum Guest House
Save Saved
You added Antebellum Guest House to your Saves list
1333 Esplanade Ave., New Orleans, LA (Mid-City)   |
Ranked #26 of 145 New Orleans B&B and Inns
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“Southern Hospitality at it's best!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013 via mobile

I wanted to take my boyfriend to New Orleans for his Birthday since he had never been. I read a lot of reviews and decided I wanted a bed and breakfast, not a hotel. The reviews about Keith's breakfast are what sold me and we were not disappointed. From beginning to end he was a great host. He welcomed us with the grand tour of the home which was beautiful with high ceilings and decor from the 1800's. it truly felt like we were stepping back in time. He carried my heavy suitcase up to our room which was the 2 bedroom since that's all that was available. The decor was very eclectic , the kitchen and bathroom were quite simple but suited our needs just fine. We had a coffee maker and he even got me the creamer I wanted since he was going to the store. The bed was like sleeping in a cloud it was so comfortable. Great water pressure in the shower too.

Now for the breakfast!! Wow, every morning was a culinary delight with 3 courses. Fruit, then pastry ,then main course . Afterwards you will feel like you need a nap. And this is no regular fruit cup I can assure you. I'm still dreaming of the cherry turnover that was fresh and hot. I could go on and on about the food but I will post pictures instead. Suffice it to say you are nice and satiated to head off on your adventures. We weren't hungry again until 2 pm.

Keith also gave us a lot of good advice on where to go. On Saturday he sent us off on the bikes there to go to the sculpture garden which was beautiful. Art joined us at breakfast one day and had some great stories to tell.

The location was great. We enjoy walking so most of the time we walked back and forth from the French quarter. Only once or twice we took a taxi and it was only $6.

All in all it was a great stay! One more thing, I left my phone charger in the room and he mailed it back to me immediately. Keith works really hard and you can tell he really loves what he does. Thanks for all the hospitality!

• Stayed April 2013

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

The Bordello room itself is only average, although it has lots of atmosphere and is very clean. Not a place to spend a lot of time. It is everything else about the place that is why you should stay there. The location is very good, just outside the French Quarter in a quiet neighbourhood, The house has been beautifully restored, with 14 foot ceilings and fantastic chandeliers in the parlour and dining room. But it is the host, Keith, who puts it over the top. He is friendly, knowledgeable and helpful, and genuinely interested in getting to know his guests without being at all intrusive. His breakfasts are wonderful, and he takes great pride in presenting local dishes in style. Even with its shortcomings, we really enjoyed our stay and would definitely recommend The Antebellum House.

Room Tip: The Bordello Room is just average, but has lots of atmosphere and is very clean. Access is from the...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Houston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

My husband and I were very impressed with our room, the home itself, and especially the breakfast. Keith, our host was amazing, the courtyard is to die for and even has a hot tub. I highly recommend that your next stay in New Orleans be here!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

Absolutely fantastic hosts, with breakfasts that you will not believe and a gorgeous house. You will learn a ton about N.O. history from chatting with Keith, and he's also right there with restaurant recommendations, bikes to borrow, ideas for day trips, etc. Art is equally terrific, and there is no question that we will be staying here again and every time we're in New Orleans. In the spirit of helping others make an informed decision, I'll acknowledge that wifi was unavailable in our room (but worked fine in the common areas), and it is a 30-minute walk through the Quarter if you are at a conference on Canal or something. But anyone deterred by that doesn't deserve to stay at the Antebellum. :-) Wish I could give it more stars.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

My husband and I decided to do something special for our 25th anniversary. We are so glad we chose Antebellum Guest House. Keith is an excellent host and makes you feel like family. His breakfasts are absolutely wonderful. My husband is a chef and he loved everything. Keith's attention to detail in his breakfasts and the beautiful decor of the house is perfection.

He is a great conversationalist as well. We often spent an hour or two at the breakfast table because he has so many interesting stories to tell about New Orleans and his own life.I really can't add anything new to what has been said in previous posts, but I just couldn't go without leaving a glowing review. We are not creatures of habit when it comes to our travels, but I am already hoping to return.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Mchenry
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

Been meaning to write this since we stayed for three nights in late July, so here goes. Never stayed at a B&B, so now we're totally spoiled. As has been said, the breakfasts are beyond belief. Keith does it up right every morning. Art joined us one morning, and we laughed so hard at the stories about his family. I think there was a good one about Aunt Barbara(??) The location is perfect. If you get tired of walking (too many Abitas?) taxis are readily available. Keith and Art can give you all the inside info. While we were there a second-line funeral parade to honor Uncle Lionel Batiste (bass drummer for the Treme Brass Band) was held. We wanted to go, and Keith was kind enough to accompany us. He knows so much about all things New Orleans. Can't wait to go back. Thanks for the hospitality you two!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012

Keith and Art are wonderful hosts at Antebellum. Keith not only cooked wonderfully tasting local breakfasts each morning, he told about the history behind each dish. He also had plenty of knowledge about the history of the city and was happy to share it. The house itself is beautifully renovated and located close to the Marigny district. It is also in walking distance from Bourbon Street, but also far enough so the frat party there isn't felt :)

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Prices are for rooms, adults

Been to Antebellum Guest House? Share your experiences!