“Good location, comfortable” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #18 of 154 Hotels in New Orleans
New York City, New York
“Good location, comfortable”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

On St.Charles Avenue, this is a very convenient location in the Uptown area. The room was comfortable but he first night I had an allergy attack from the dust behind the night tables, which they immediately and pleasantly sent housekeeping to remedy when I complained. The included breakfasts were good, especially the waffles, but they could have used orange juice or more fresh fruit.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
beuper, General Manager at Hampton Inn Garden District - St. Charles Avenue, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Thank you for your feedback of your stay with us. I appreciate you selecting our hotel. I was glad to read from your review that you found our hotel to be conveniently located and that you enjoyed our breakfast. I do however understand that you were disappointed with some issues at our hotel specifically regarding the cleanliness of our hotel. I am sorry that your room was dusty and caused you to have an allergy attack. I sincerely apologize that we did not meet expectations and I am actively working with our housekeeping team to ensure our standards of cleanliness and comfort are consistently met. We strive on providing our guests with a clean and comfortable stay and we will do everything we need to do to ensure that this issue does not occur again. I am always looking for reviews to provide insight into our guests experience and I will keep your review in mind.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Miami Beach, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

My wife and I spent three very pleasant nights at the Hampton Inn Garden District. The room was bright and comfortable, with good, free wi-fi. The breakfast, while not gourmet, was nourishing. I tended to go for the oatmeal with nuts and raisins, along with the fruit and coffee. Waffles and eggs were available, but I tried to eat lightly and save my calories for po' boys and other New Orleans specialties. Parking was very convenient and the staff, friendly.

Rockville, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

I completely recommend it to anyone wanting to stay in New Orleans! Especially those who do not want to deal with staying downtown! Free breakfast is very good! The staff is very nice, especially Rory, Brandi, Gwen and Rose!

New Braunfels, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Read the review about the bad beds and that was not my experience. Maybe the rooms have been upgraded since then. Anyway, my daughter and I were visiting Tulane so I was looking for convenience to both Tulane and French Quarter and a location where I felt safe. Hampton Inn answered both requirements. Staff very helpful, standard Hampton Inn breakfast, small manager reception ithe afternoon. Ate at Superior Seafood and Sucre, which were within walking distance and delicious.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Naperville
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

I am a road warrior and have stayed in my share of properties. Architectually, this one is not your standard Hampton Inn and the lobby is very gentile and cool. I found it very quiet and had the best nights sleep in an urban hotel in a long while. I am pretty low maintenance but found the staff friendly and accomodating. The breakfast was standard Hampton Inn. This is a business trip and I must venture off to the swamps each day so its a little bit further of a drive for me than Kenner. Bear in mind, even though parking is included, if you venture to the Quarter you'll either have to pick up a cab or parking on that end (which is not cheap). I typically head to small joints the locals frequent in Kenner and Metarie and the parking is free so this Hampton is a pretty good deal. I like it a lot better than staying in one of the places around the airport which I find souless.

Room Tip: I didnt have much of a view, facing the alley and the next hotel over but it was very quite and I si...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Waco, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

I have stayed here twice, each time for three nights on business. I go to NOLA once or twice a year, and with a few changes, this would be my favorite hotel. The title is the short story of my most recent stay. The location is excellent. The French Quarter is a trolley ride away, and Magazine street is a walk, and St. Charles is outside the door. Just about perfect.

Requested a room with two doubles, and the beds were both terrible—far below Hampton Inn standards.
The area around the elevators stunk of insecticide or insecticide-smelling cleaner, and the floor where my room was located smelled terrible too, something between vomit and chemicals. A young man was walking down the hall spraying Febreze™. And another man was painting. The hall was full of service staff. (@ 3:00 p.m.) Not good omens.

All the six beds I saw in this hotel were of the quality that you would have to go to the cheapest mattress store to buy for someone you hoped would leave very soon. The supporting metal piece running around the upper edge of the bed is prominent and the springs are prominent, too. When you move on this kind of bed, you hear the paper and springs that compose its innards crackling and creaking. Awful stuff for the back. You can have a terrible night on one of these babies and wake up to a painful day.

While the water pressure was good, the toilet was did not flush properly in the first room I got, and the plumbing noises from other rooms were quite LOUD in both the rooms with which I had experience.

Seating in the rooms (uncomfortable dining-room type chairs) was awful.

If you are near the front of the hotel, you will hear the street cars rolling and braking at regular intervals from early am until about 11 p.m. It can't be helped.

After the first uncomfortable night, I was offered another room. The desk staff was excellent. The manager was invisible.

The beds in the second room I looked at were, if anything, more used up than the first, and it appeared that the safety latch on the adjoining room door was broken. So I looked at a third room that morning and thought the bed there was slightly less broken down (but from the same stock) and took that room. I doubled the extra blanket (from the closet) and placed it under the mattress pad to make the bed somewhat "firmer" and to increase the padding between me and the springs. (I don't move about much when I sleep, so that helped.)

This hotel has a lot of plusses (shown in the title), and it is a good place for a small meeting.The set up, food and beverage services, the staff providing those services, and amenities in the lobby area are excellent. There is lobby noise from time to time that filters into the meeting room. The staff is attentive, helpful, and resourceful, and they do try to accommodate travelers.

Suggestions: loose the fell-off-the-truck mattresses, get at least one decent chair in each room, find some hypo-allergenic, non-irritating cleaning supplies, vet the plumbing and maintenance items through the staff, not the guests.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
beuper, General Manager at Hampton Inn Garden District - St. Charles Avenue, responded to this review, March 14, 2013
I appreciate the review of your recent stay at our hotel. I understand that you were disappointed and that we came short of delivering what you are accustomed to expect from us. I truly apologize if this was the case and I can assure you that I will definitely keep your review in mind to improve our in-property experience. We appreciate your business and sincerely apologize that we did not provide you with the level of quality that you are accustomed to receive from us. We do everything we can to ensure our guests enjoy our hotel. With that said, I assure that your feedback is incredibly important to us and I will definitely take your comments into consideration.

Hoover, Alabama
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

We stayed two nights and really enjoyed the location. We wanted a quiet hotel away from the Quarter and this is it. Safe location, easy to find, updated and clean, free parking, close to streetcar pickup and complimentary breakfast and evening snacks. I would definately stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room towards the front of the hotel for a view
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hampton Inn Garden District - St. Charles Avenue? Share your experiences!