“Unique and just right for us” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Double HHonors Points!
Ranked #19 of 152 hotels in New Orleans
Michigan
“Unique and just right for us”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2012

Well, we weren't sure about taking our 3 & 5 year old to New Orleans, and it was suggested that we stay in the Garden or University district instead of downtown. This hotel was perfect! Not a lot of young families, but family friendly. Lots of business travelers, couples, and some older families, although judging by the beads hanging in the trees, it probably rocks during Mardi Gras.

HOTEL: Beautifully decorated, very historic & unique, lovely property, private/gated parking.

ROOM: We stayed in a king suite, end unit. It was very quiet and had a nice view overlooking the streetcar line and St. Charles. Room was very large and with the pullout couch could easily sleep more than the 4 people we had on this trip. Fridge, microwave, dining table & chairs, flat screen TV, lots of storage & dressers & chairs. Large bathroom with spa tub, double sinks, and large counter. Bathroom was a little dated compared to newer Hamptons, but very nice and clean. Housekeeping was efficient & timely.

FOOD: Great hot breakfast, loved the fleur-de-lis in the waffles. Pretty courtyard where you can dine outside on nice wrought-iron sets. Cheese & crackers put out every afternoon with tea. Fresh, cold lemon water in the lobby all day and you will need it when you get back from town because IT IS HOT :) Lots of food options in N.O. We ate at Mother's & Napolean House in the French Quarter - both amazing. We also ate at the Superior Grille (next door to Hampton, serves Tex-mex) and it was very good as well.

LOCATION: Great spot midway between the French Quarter/Downtown and the Zoo & University District. Neighborhood seemed safe. Streetcar stop right next door. Very easy to get on and off and navigate with the trolley.

EXPERIENCE: Well, we LOVED New Orleans, our kids had a blast! We took the streetcar everywhere with our day passes (zoo, park, aquarium, insectarium, carriage ride, ferry ride, French Quarter.) We did the "family experience" in the French Quarter- stayed off Bourbon, left after dinner, and it was fine. People were so warm and friendly.

PROS: Whole experience with hotel, would highly recommend
CONS: Water in hotel room never got cold, but not a huge issue. Also the pool is very small, a lap pool, but we were so busy we wouldn't have used it anyway!

Room Tip: Get an end unit
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

326 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
nv4i73
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2012

First time in NOLA and really enjoyed our stay at the hotel.....good breakfast, free parking and nice clean rooms. The Street car stops almost right outside the hotel so no problem with transportation....we parked our car for the whole time. They also have a pool and in the afternoon around 5pm have cheese and crackers along with some fruit.....a real nice touch.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2012

This hotel was pretty nice. It was clean and nicely decorated. The lobby had coffee for incoming guests. The room was clean and the bed was comfy. We loved that they had free secure parking as well. A lap pool was out back and free wifi and breakfast. Reasonable rates for a king bed room with sofa bed. We found a nice local restaurant that was do DIE for called The Rum House. It was on Magazine and 7th. All in all, a nice Father's day!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Jacksonville, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2012

I had business every morning for 3 days at the airport, but who wants to stay there when New Orleans is close by. It was my very first trip to NOLA, so I wanted to be close to the action.

My company wouldn't spring for the $40 parking downtown. I was about to give up when I ran across this hotel on tripadvisor. The reviews were overwhelmingly good, and the parking is free, so I went for it.

When you arrive, you'll see the facade that they show on the website with the little circular drive. Ignore that (facing Saint Charles Ave) and take the next right. The hotel parking lot is behind the building and there is a 15 minute parking area there for check in, and ample parking for the hotel.

The hotel is located right on the St. Charles Avenue streetcar line. If you haven't been here, that means that you can walk out the front door, pay $1.25, and in a few noisy, charming minutes be let off at Canal Street, literally looking across at the beginning of Bourbon Street. You can enjoy all that the French Quarter has to offer, catch the streetcar back, and be on a (reasonably) quiet street for some rest.

There are a few minor things to keep in mind, but let's brag on the hotel first. I was checked in so fast that I almost didn't want to walk away from the desk thinking I had forgotten something. Every step (and I look) through the lovely lobby, on the elevator, in the hallway, my door, my room... was spotless. I've stayed in a lot of hotels, and I've never had one where I didn't find something even slightly dirty. I thought for a second I was seeing a little slight discoloration on the duvet, but it was just a shadow from all the natural light coming in from my street side view. Nothing was new, but everything was brilliantly clean.

Speaking of view, I took the advice of some reviewers and requested a view of St. Charles. The clerk at first was quick to say "it's only the suites with the view". In the end, I had room 324, which wasn't a suite, but had a nice view of the street scene below. It was nice, for a little while. What the reviewers don't mention is that the streetcar service is frequent, very frequent. I would estimate every 5 minutes during most of the day, and much of the night. It also consists of some very old-school electric cars. They make noise, and lot's of it. Rattles, clanks, low roars, buzzes, bells, horns.

Now I don't want to make this sound like a serious problem. It wasn't. I just cranked up the fan in the room, and the white noise did a nice job of hiding the noise. If I had it to do over again? I would have selected a room pointed somewhere else. Also avoid rooms with adjoining doors. The kids next door were very loud one night.

OK, back to the basic hotel stuff. I had a typical room, king bed, love seat, and a nice work area... OH, and a little shout out to EVERY HOTEL WHO WANTS TO CATER TO BUSINESS TRAVELERS.... this terrific property has actually embraced having PLENTY of outlets available everywhere. Three ON the desk plus two USB charging ports. Three more on the bedside table with the USB ports as well. FREE WI-FI. Free Parking! Free Breakfast!

I literally saved $60 plus per day staying here versus one of the downtown high-rises.

Service? Exceptional across the board
Breakfast? Fine, except for the strange round processed egg omelets. I'd rather you leave eggs off the menu than present something like that. I LOVE the waffles. I think they make a big difference on not being "el cheapo"
Cleanliness? Among the best I've ever seen.
Neighborhood? On the immediate, few choices. There is a Rite-Aid nearby to stock your mini-fridge (including hard liquor) and a nice little mexican joint next door. A block west is the Columns Hotel that offers a nice looking happy hour, and live music most nights. For a little more action, there is a more developed area about 1/2 mile east. I walked about 4 miles one day exploring the Garden District and had a ball. Driving later, I realized that I was very happy I didn't go north. Up through there, and the neighborhood goes down real fast. I still felt very safe walking around in the daylight.

I do think it's important to note that the violence in NOLA is very high. The week I was there the news reported 14 shootings, and 5 deaths in one 24 hour period. I drove through a recent scene (albeit because I trusted my GPS too much) the next night. The locals are quick to say "that's in the drug areas", but I found it disturbing how constant the violence seemed to be.

That said, I never encountered anyone that made me feel uncomfortable or unwelcome in any way. To the contrary, I found some of the best service I've ever had.

There is simply no doubt that the Garden District will be our stay place of choice when we return. With the Hampton Inn hitting the mark so perfectly, I can't imagine it will take us long to pick this property again.

Room Tip: Avoid Saint Charles Avenue if you are noise sensitive. Anything away from the front would avoid the...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Tuscaloosa, Alabama, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2012

This hotel is one of the best options if you are cruising from New Orleans. They offer free parking the entire length of your stay, and it's just a $14 taxi ride (saves you around $60 bucks total). Great breakfast and comfy rooms in the historic Garden District.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2012 via mobile

I can't say enough about the benefits of staying here: free parking, wi-fi, nice staff, a pool, breakfast, cool drinks and a quiet location right on the streetcar. Just don't expect the polish of newer Hampton Inns. The rooms are on the small side and A/C systems are a little noisy. But it's a good value and did I mention free parking?

• Stayed May 2012
Louisville, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2012

We were in town for a cruise so spent 1 night in this hotel. We stayed after we cruised, They allowed us to leave our car in the lot while we were gone. The staff was very friendly and accommodating, we needed to print our cruise documents and they allowed us to do so. We got into town around 11am after our cruise and were able to leave our luggage at the hotel while we grabbed lunch. They called us about 2 hours later letting us know our room was ready, which was nice. It's right besides the St. Charles Street car and takes you right to the french quarter.

It was a great location, and the rooms were nice, we would definitely stay again if we were in town.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hampton Inn Garden District - St. Charles Avenue? Share your experiences!