“Stuck in elevator and received attitude instead of help” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Ambassador Hotel

You added Ambassador Hotel to your Saves list
Ambassador Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   535 Tchoupitoulas Street, New Orleans, LA 70130 (Central Business District)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Celebrate! Save 25%.
Ranked #113 of 155 Hotels in New Orleans
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Stuck in elevator and received attitude instead of help”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2012

1) Here’s the kicker: a colleague of mine got stuck in the elevator for 15 minutes. He rang the alarm button and, although it rang, no one responded. After finally prying himself out he went to the front desk and saw an attendant and a bellhop standing around. He told them what had happened and instead of offering apologies or showing any concern, the two men mouthed off at him.
2) Upon arrival, there was only one person at the front desk and she was terribly slow. It took about 10 minutes each for me and the people in front of me to check in. When I was finally checked in, the line to check in was eight people deep. Eight people time 10 minutes each – you do the match. I observed this each day I was there.
3) Upon arrival, my colleague had urine on his toilet seat where it clearly hadn’t been cleaned. Luckily it was his room and not mine; he simply wiped it off and didn’t complain.
4) The sheets on my bed were not changed or even made after my first night there. I did have a small bag on my bed so that may have been the excuse. My colleague’s bed, however, was also not made and his bed was clear. I called downstairs to ask for it to be changed and was told that there were not cleaning staff available. The manager was also unavailable.
5) The following night, my sheets were changed, but the new sheets had a large hole in them. There also was a giant ball of dust and hair left in my bathroom, longer than the length of a dollar bill. By this point I knew calling downstairs would be a moot point.
6) The hotel charges a mandatory $9.99 per night amenity fee for use of the fitness center, safe deposit box, and WiFi. This is not mentioned by Priceline up front, and only in very small print did I learn that Priceline.com requires guests to pay all mandatory “resort fees”. I understand having to pay a resort fee, and have paid many in my life. This dump is not a resort and the mandatory fee is hidden and unethical; if it’s mandatory it should be included in Priceline’s upfront price.
7) The internet is too slow to stream Netflix, much less accomplish any productive work.
The following morning, the manager, again, was not available. I called during the day and was transferred to his voicemail because he was not in; the voicemail was full and I was unable to leave a message. Apparently lots of people are calling him with complaints. I checked out the following morning. At check out I again asked to speak to a manager. He was at the property but couldn’t speak with me promptly. I had to catch my flight so left my phone number with the front desk and asked him to call. He never returned my call. It’s a shame because the hotel is in a fantastic location between the French Quarter and the Convention Center and has the potential to be a cute boutique option if it were better managed.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
redseal1960, Manager at Ambassador Hotel, responded to this review, February 25, 2012
Thank you for choosing The Ambassador Hotel New Orleans. We are distressed to learn of the challenges faced by the reviewer during their stay with us. Please contact Richie Aquilar at the hotel to insure immediate and complete satisfaction. The Ambassador Hotel New Orleans is under new ownership and management, all of whom are 100% committed to your complate satisfaction.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
  • Korean first
Clearwater, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2012

Where do I start? We had two rooms booked for a total of 6 nights. Filthy, filthy, filthy. First room: Only 2 of 4 lights had a bulb in the bathroom and one shade was encrusted in who knows what., broken chair, unvacuumed floor, room key disabled day early had to have it rekeyed, had to request extra set of towels for second guest. Dirty grout in shower area. Broken floor tile that wobbled under foot. Toilet ran all night, had to shut it off at the wall just to sleep. Asked for a comforter, they sent a second blanket.

Second room: WINDOWLESS, twin bedroom. Same Price mind you! Filthy, filthy, filthy. Crumbling lampshade, unvacuumed at check in, trash never picked up throughout the stay. Exposed pipes overhead. It was the size of a broom closet! Comforter was unusable because it was dirty. Never vacuumed throughtout stay, never picked up trash. The door to the unit was a glass door that a curtain had been placed over. When we went to complain at the desk at checkout, we were told all rooms were the same! Indefensible. We saw new mattresses being brought in at the same time: queen, doubles and TWINS!.

Get a room, who we used to book, was notified. Complaint and request for refund in proess.

Room Tip: Hotel is on busy street in central business district.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Howell, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2012

We booked the room out of necessity for our Cruise . We needed to come in a day early and the price was good. Wood floors were quaint , but the staff are not . There is a charge to use they gym even if you don't plan on using it. and phone service. There is a bar restaurant there but if you have kids they cant go in. The hotel is ten blocks from the port. And no they do not shuttle . Will call a taxi for you . Our room wasn't very clean the tub had sand in the bottom of it , and mold on ceiling tile, and on the shower curtain magnet that holds it in the tub. It was an ok place to stay . but next time ill try to book another one in the area. They had no record of my cousins booking they had to go out to the car and get their confirmation email to prove it. So make sure to call and verify it.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Birmingham, Alabama
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2012

I booked this room for one night to stay the night of a Saints Monday Night Football game.
I wasn't overly impressed by the service. They were helpful, but not overly so. Only 1 valet, and he was so overworked, it was impossible to him to be too friendly.
However, the room and the cost was EXACTLY as expected. There was an approximately $8 mandatory charge that covered phone & internet, and a $15 charge for the valet parking, but both of those were posted, so I knew about them ahead of time.
The room was large, clean, and beautiful. If you like "character," this place is great. Exposed brick walls and pipes in the ceiling. The only complaint could be that those same things make the room a little hard to heat (which is typically an issue in January- luckily it wasn't for us).
Once again, we had to wait quite a while for the valet in order to leave. (They only had 2 working on the night after a Saints game, an hour before check out.)
I'm not a very high-mainteance or demanding guest, so maybe my standards are lower than other, but other than the speed of the valet I really have no complaints.
When I return for my next Saints game, this will be my first choice for location & value.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Thank you for your kind comments regarding your stay at The Ambassador Hotel New Orleans. The Ambassador Hotel New Orleans is a warehouse conversion hotel featuring original hardwood floors, brick and beam construction, high ceilings and large windows, combining to provide a "New Orleans" character perfect for visits to the Big Easy. The Ambassador Hotel is under new ownership and new management and is 100% committed to your satisfaction. We look forward to your return, be it Mardi Gras, Saints football season, Jazz Fest.....come back soon.
Sequim, Washington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2012

Even though this Hotel offered a good rate, it was not worth any price to stay in this run down facility. The bedside lamp had a broken socket with exposed wire that could have caused a terrible accident had we not noticed it before reaching up from the bed to turn it on.
There was not a comforter or bedspread on the bed and when we called down for one, we were told they are no longer providing them. There was dust and dirt everywhere, tiles off the wall in the bathroom and the lamp shades were shredded. When we called for a wakeup call and gave them the number on the phone, we were told that the wrong number was listed on the phone. Could have caused someone else to get our early wake up call. They charge $9.95 for an amenity package that is not mentioned in the reservation. The clerk said it was for use of the phone! Will not ever reserve here again.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Akron, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2012

My husband booked this hotel and after reading some of the reviews, I was a little worried. However, we found it basic but clean, and I thought the staff was pretty friendly. The decor is simple and traditional: bed with a two-post headboard, one art print on the wall and a dark wood media armoire. It has old dark-stained hardwood floors and white walls. It had sort of an old-fashioned (but not gross or outdated) look that I thought complimented the buildings' history as coffee warehouses.

It is in a good location between the convention center and French Quarter. I couldn't get the Wi-fi to work, but I didn't really pursue it since I got too busy doing other things to spend time online in my room anyway. The sheets aren't top-quality, but they weren't threadbare or rags like some have said. The bed was pretty creaky and kind of rolls you towards the middle, so if you have back issues or you're really particular about that kind of thing, you might not be satisfied. We were ok, though. I was worried about bugs in the room from some of the reviews but I saw nothing of the sort. I thought our room was very clean.

The Hotel Ambassador might not be my recommendation for a special occasion, honeymoon, high-end vacation, etc., but it is a fine place to stay in a good location.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2012

As a frequent traveler to New Orleans, I always choose The Ambassador Hotel. The rooms are clean and quiet, the location is great....right by all the great restaurants, and steps to the French Qurter. The Ambassador has a unique New Orleans charm that is priceless. All the employees I encounter are friendly and attentive. Last time I visited I noticed a lot of improvements to the hotel with new flat screen tv's and new furniture being delivered, which I find great as it will continue to add to my comfort and satisfaction when staying at the Ambassador. I will continue to make the Ambassador hotel my extended home when visiting New Orleans.

Room Tip: the rooms on the higher floors, preferably main elevators
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your kind words regarding The Ambassador Hotel New Orleans. Thank you, also for noticing the improvements being carried out by the new ownership and management of the Ambassador Hotel New Orleans. The new owners and management will continue to strive to meet amd exceed guest expections now and for the future. Each room now features 32" or larger flat screen televisions, new mattresses are being delivered, etc. all in an effort to deliver a great guest experience. Thank you for making The Ambasador Hotel New Orleans your home away from home.

Been to Ambassador Hotel? Share your experiences!