“A satisfied family doing Jazz Fest weekend” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Park Plaza New Orleans

You added Park Plaza New Orleans to your Saves list
Park Plaza New Orleans
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1500 Canal Street, New Orleans, LA 70112 (Central Business District)   |
Ranked #128 of 154 Hotels in New Orleans
Miami, Florida
“A satisfied family doing Jazz Fest weekend”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2012

Wonderful rooms and excellent staff especially front desk, valet service and concierge team. Rooms were clean and nicely renovated. We had a double queen with kitchen on 12th floor. Note access to rooftop did not have disabled ramp only stairs. We would definitely cmoe back to stay.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

Solo
Port Macquarie NSW
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2009

We stayed here when it was a Radisson so it may have changed, but from the other comments it doesnt appear to have.

On check in there were massive queues. We had just arrived, jet lagged from Europe and just wanted to get to our room and relax, but the queue simply didnt move as the staff were incredibly slow.

Eventually we left our bags with the porter and checked in later and ended up wandering TIRED around New Orleans.

Our first night was a hideous experience. Every time we needed to use the lifts to go up to our room or down to reception the lifts were so busy that it took absolutely ages and then when the lift FINALLY arrived it was packed so you had to cram in.

We went to bed around midnight but couldnt sleep as the walls were so thin we could hear the TV next door clearly and it wasn't on particularly loudly so it wasnt the guests fault.

In the middle of the night there was some sort of security event in the hallway and a LOT of noise as large, gun toting security people wandered around outside the door shouting to each other with NO regard for guests or the fact it was after 2am. I eventually got so fed up with their racket I opened the door and told them to shut up and have a little courtesey. In retrospect opening a door and telling 4 or five armed large idiots to shut up may not have been the smartest thing I ever did in my life, but they were so surprised they kind of did as they were told - well they were a little quieter.

At around 5.30am the phone rang and when I picked it up (in a very sleepy state) some cheery voice asked if I had received the gift basket! I had NO idea what she was talking about and was trying to work out why my watch was saying it was 5.30am and I had a phone call from the hotel staff! I said NO we hadnt recieved a basket and she queried my response. I again (politely) said I didnt even know about any basket and she AGAIN queried my response. At this point and being Australian and therefore quite used to using the odd "Bl@@dy" in a conversation to emphasise a point I used it! Several times. She then complained about me "profanity" to which I explained to her that at 5.30am the Profanity laws do not exist and anyone STUPID enough to ring at that hour DESERVES to be abused a h@ll of a lot worse than she had bl@@dy well been!

I fell back into bed. At 6.45am the phone rang again. This time it was housekeeping asking if we had received the gift basket!!!! I was NOT polite to this moron at all.

It turned out that a friend - realising it was my birthday (the day before) had phoned and arranged and paid for a quite expensive fruit, cheese, chocolate and wine basket, which the Hotel in their wisdom had delivered to another room. The recipients gladly consumed the contents before checking out that day.

My friend had had some doubts about the hotels efficiency (see even my FRIENDS could tell) and had rung the hotel to check if I had received my gift. Why the hotel staff waited till 5.30am next day to call I will never know.

At around 9.30am I rang reception to ask WHY I had had a call at 5.30 and 6.45 and what the H@ll they were talking about and they then complained to me about my behaviour on the phone!!!! I would stress that I am not actually crude or rude and had used the odd word as described above to emphasise ONLY when they staff simply refused to accept I had not received the basket. It was only then I was told about the gift basket - though not the fact it had been given to someone else.

Later that day we received a delivery... it was a plate of cheese and a piece of fruit and a VERY cheap and nasty wine bottle. They realised there were no crackers when they delivered the plate and had to go back for them. I would have valued the plate etc at about $3 and the wine at maybe $4.

Later that day I got a call from the friend and when I told her about the incident she was HORRIFIED as she had paid around $100 for the top of the range basket.

To cut a long story short when we checked out I complained to the management. I was sent "upstairs" and saw the supervisory staff who had a detailed record of my abusive behaviour and kept telling me I had used "profanity" against their staff. This imbecile didnt seem to think that ringing a guest at 5.30am was odd. Didnt think that calling back at 6.45am was odd. That losing the $100 gift basket was odd. Didnt think that replacing it with a $7 piece of rubbish was odd. Didnt think that having insufficient lifts was odd. Didnt think that check-in having queues around the corner was odd. Didnt think that four armed and noisy security people running around the hallways at 2am was odd. All she was concerned about was the fact I had said bl@@dy to their staff member when she rang me up while I was till asleep!!!

I am a persistant and capable person and eventually recieved a 50% rebate on the hotel bill, but it is unlikely that most other guests would have been so fortunate.

My friend rang the hotel and demanded her credit card be refunded for the basket. The hotel said they would and took her card details. When her next bill came in - they had charged her a second time instead of crediting her. She phoned again and they assured her this time they would fix it. On her next bill they had double charges her again - now up to around $400 for the basket that was delivered to the wrong room. Finally, on the third attempt they actually managed to get it right.

Is this hotel any good? NO. Are the staff any good? NO. Are the buildings utilities able to cope with the potential number of guests? NO. Do I have anything good to say about this place? NO bl@@dy way. And now it appears it is dirty as well. All I can say is AVOID at all costs. Until they knock this place down and rebuild it and put in staff who have not been trained at Gestapo boot camp it is simply a place to avoid. A hotel to judge all other shocking hotels by. There has to be a worst in the world and this is it. I have never stayed at a Radisson since and wont and when I visit New Orleans I avoid this place like the plague.

In the end despite New Orleans being one off the greatest cities to experience in the world, this hotel managed to ruin the experience. A hotel for me is a place to put your head down at night and to keep your luggage during the day. I do not expect much from the place - just a clean room, a clean bed, and staff who dont create problems, so my expectations are not high and yet this place STILL managed to wreck my stay totally. I assume they are aware of the bad publicity they have attracted and as they havent fixed it can only assume they dont care and in my opinion that is as bad as it can get.

To sum it up, if you really can't find another hotel - sleep on the street, the service will be better and it will be quieter than staying in one of their rooms.

• Stayed March 2006, traveled as a couple
Argentina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2006

I stayed at this hotel as there were no rooms available at other hotels in town. It was a real nightmare!
When I entered my room, I felt a bad smell: there was urine in the bathroom, both on the basin ( full of yellow stains) and on the floor. I ran to the telephone, by the bed, to complain, and opened the linens, just to check... What a surprise when I found a huge blood stain on the linens!! Would you believe me if I tell you that NOBODY at Reception apologized for this? THey just told me: "would you like us to clean it? Or do you prefer a new room?". Of course, I asked for another room... WHich was not better at all... NO blood, but also urine and pubic hairs and so on... I asked for a new change and they gave me what they called "the suite". Apparently, the best room at the hotel... It turned out that the "suite" was not clean either. Tired, I called Housekeeping and gave them some money to clean the bathroom... They intended to clean it just with water!!!!! Even when it had clear marks of urine and other staff!! I asked them to use some bleach!
Having a bath was another nightmare... Towels were FULL of PUBIC HAIRS! I asked for a change... And new towels were just the same. It seems that towels come with hairs at that hotel!
No room service was available except from a pizza store nearby. Smell at the corridors was terrible! COuld you believe that rest of pizzas and dirty staff would remain at the corridors for more than 24 hours? Nobody picked them up!
Elevators were old, worn out and always busy. Too many people going up and down all the time. The hotel was crowded, so you could hear screams and loud voices all the time.
Because all of this, I complained to the General Manager of the hotel. He did not even seem surprised. It seemed that he was used to all this. There were signs all over stating that "if any part of your stay was not pleasant, you won´t pay for it". Of course, this is not true!! They even charge you extra money if you intend to shorten your stay at the hotel!
I tried to write RADISSON to complain about this. It is a shame that a company like this offer this kind of service and hotel. But it seems that RADISSON IS NOT INTERESTED IN CUSTOMER´S VOICE: at their web, they ask you to fill in lots of data and information about yourself and your complain. And finally, when you try to submit your complain, the system does not work and just inform you that it could not be sent. I tried to do this at least three times, on different days. Always the same!
I know Radisson has sold this hotel, as they had too much headache with it. HOwever, I find them the only responsible for what I had to go through, as they were the owners at that moment. This is why I WILL NEVER RETURN TO A RADISSON HOTEL AGAIN IN MY LIFE!

• Stayed January 2005, traveled on business
Orange County
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2006

Probably the worst hotel I've ever encountered in my life. Stayed there for a conference in October of 2003 and felt it ruined the entire thing. Tiny rooms, awful service, dirty, dirty, dirty...don't even try to eat there.

• Stayed October 2003, traveled on business
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2006

Hotel is on the wrong side of Rampart, so area is a bit shakey. No assistance at the entrance. Requested a NON-smoking room, but entire hotel reeked of cigarette smoke. The front desk claimed that there were NO non-smoking rooms (contrary to resevations). Room had seen MUCH better days--hotel claimed to be undergoing reservations, but obviously had not reached our room. Lights did not work when we checked in.

• Stayed July 2005, traveled on business
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2006

Located in a very bad part of town. Room was dirty. Linen was dirty. Was not brave enough to use the towels. Will never stay here again.

• Stayed June 2005
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2005

It was by far the worse hotel that I’ve ever stayed at. Parking cost extra, and the lot you get to park in is located next to the projects. The homeless live in the allies all around the hotel. When I got to my room there was someone else’s luggage already in my room. The bellhop had delivered it to the wrong room. The water did not work for most of my stay. I’m just glad that I only had to stay there one night.

• Stayed August 2005, traveled on business

Been to Park Plaza New Orleans? Share your experiences!