“OK hotel, if you don't care about wifi access. It is a hilton problem” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton New Orleans Riverside

Breakfast Included!
Ranked #67 of 154 Hotels in New Orleans
GreenLeadersGold level
dc
“OK hotel, if you don't care about wifi access. It is a hilton problem”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

I was at the hotel for 6 days for a convention. The first day, wifi access went down for all the rooms, and it remained off for over 24 hours. It had something to do with the billing server (more on that below). The hotel set up expanded wifi in the lobby during the room outage, but no general annoucement was made about it and I had to discover it through repeated phone calls. After it was restored, I noticed that the wifi in my room on the 26th floor only had "poor" wifi stength. My connection was slow for the rest of the week, even though I paid for premium service, and I had to repeatedly log myself on and off, repeatedly answering questions about my long HHhonors number, room number, etc.

But what is really irritating is the whole hilton internet billing philosophy and implementation. When you log on, you are offered the option of complimentary Hhonors internet access or to bill your room for 14.99 per day for premium access. The Hhonors option is actually a scam, since I was billed on checkout even though I am in the Hhonors program. At checkout I was told you need to be at the diamond level for free internet (they said they would have given me a secret code) - but the internet billing screen doesn't say this. Bate and switch like that is probably illegal and I would have fought it on checkout if I wasn't in a hurry. Just as bad, the access is for a single device. Hilton - wake up. These days, everyone has a smart phone, plus a laptop, and maybe even an ipad or ereader that needs occasional access. My wife was there with her own phone and computer, and that raised our total number of devices to 5. We are not internet junkies - we need to conduct business and get our email. Are we seriously expected to pay $75/day for wifi access? We were told that there was free wifi in the executive lounge (access to the lounge costs $50/day), but sometimes the log on screen asked for money and sometimes it didn't when I tried it. I had to wait until I got to the airport (for free internet) to download a book to my ipad. And all of these repeated login failures, filling out billing screens, and just total frustration had to do with the billing system. I also had some frustrating internet troubles in the last hilton I stayed at, also related to billing. Either make the billing system painless, fair, and applicable to all your devices, or just implement free internet, which is what you should really do.

The executive lounge is just ok. The breakfast is continental, nothing special. The happy hour has free snacks, nothing special, but the drink prices are high. I typically ordered a glass of white wine, which was $12, and then I found out my last day that I could get a glass of house white wine in the restaurant bar attached to the lobby for $4.50. I guess the high wine prices paid for the snacks. On the positive side, the hotel is convenient to the convention center, the staff were friendly, and the room was clean.

I don't understand where hilton is trying to position itself. The internet service and lounge can't compete wtih other 5 star hotels. And the 3 star budget hotels have free internet and fewer frustrations.

Room Tip: if you are there with your family and have small kids, they have rooms with 2 queen beds.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
problemdoc, Manager at Hilton New Orleans Riverside, responded to this review, October 18, 2012
biztravdc,

Thank you for choosing the Hilton New Orleans Riverside as your New Orleans destination. We certainly enjoyed having both here and look forward to seeing you again next time your travels bring you back to New Orleans. Our apologies for the HSIA interuption. Unfortunately the system went down late afternoon and a new server had to be flown in the following day to complete the repairs. I can assure you that our IT management team along with ATT&T our service provider worked late into to the evening trying to complete the repairs. Rates for HSIA here at our hotel are comparable to other convention hotels in our competitor set both locally and nationally. To ensure that our guests are paying fair market price for this service we do conduct bi annual surveys here in New Orleans as well as in all major convention markets to ensure our rates are competitive. As an HHonors Diamond or Gold member you are entitled to complimentary HSIA at all Hilton Worldwide hotels.

The best of the upcoming Holiday Season to you and to your family.

Hilton New Orleans Riverside

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (675)
  • Korean first
NA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

The location is certainly fantastic...easy walk to convention center or French Quarter. I checked in on a Thursday night...and waited 20 min in line. There was no one manning the HHonors expedited check in desk. My room was in Bldg 2, which is the older portion of the hotel. The room, was fine, if a bit dated. Slept here one night. When I returned to my room after a late dinner on night #2, there were red ants swarming on my night table...and I found a few on the bed. (there was no open food or anything). Disgusting. Called down to the front desk and they were responsive. I went back down to the lobby (at 1130pm) and waited another 10 min in line to get my new room key. Super annoying. In my new room, the shower control faucet broke the first day I took a shower...and 2 days passed with no maid service. i also saw two roaches in the plant display by the escalators. Overall, this was the worst stay I have ever had at a Hilton and I would not return.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
problemdoc, Manager at Hilton New Orleans Riverside, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
Thank you for taking time to review. We're very sorry that you experienced an undesireable stay with us. The problems you mentioned have been addressed and we apologize for these inconveniences. We have also addressed the issues with staffing levels at the Desk to ensure that we are as helpful as possible for our guests. We appreciate you alerting us to these issues and hope that you will give us a second chance if and when you return to the area.

The best of the upcoming Holiday Season to you and to your family.

Mansfield, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012 via mobile

The hotel shows the brand well. Recent upgrades give it a clean modern feel. Valet service was exceptional. Second floor desk friendly. Concierge desk ok but distant. Breakfast in lounge is lackluster. Marriott has them beat hands down. With so many other hilton brands in the crecent city I would look elsewhere if the executive lounge matters to you as it does me. Hard truth..night snack advertised for 5:00 not out until 5:15, breakfast was hard boiled eggs, fruit and minimal pastry. Again not nearly what I expected. Sad to say I will not be returning.

• Stayed October 2012
problemdoc, Manager at Hilton New Orleans Riverside, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
texasrsg,

Thank you for your review and I have shared your comments with our team. Sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay however we look forward to an opportunity to have you back again soon. The best of the upcoming Holiday Season to you and to your family.

New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

I stayed at the Hilton Riverside for work in New Orleans. The location is very convenient to some great restaurants, the highway, and just a few minute walk to the historic French Quarters.
My room on the 25th floor was very clean, and had a wonderful view of New Orleans.

The downside to this Hilton is that it is right next to the convention center so if you are in town for pleasure and not to attend a convention I would say stay away. The hallways are crowded, the lobby is busy and the bar is packed with those attending conventions so if it's not your thing, there are other hotels in New Orleans that may better fit your visit.

Parking was a bit expensive, and my biggest problem with this property is that we had 4 boxes sent via fedex to the hotel before our arrival - - when we showed up, the packages were there but we were initially charged $220 dollars just to pick them up. (The hotel later granted a 50% discount.)

To sum it up, it's a good, clean, comfortable Hilton if you are in town for work. Just don't fedex anything there unless you are prepared to pay BIG.

Room Tip: The higher you are the better the view. Stay away from the elevators as it is a party city and they...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
problemdoc, Manager at Hilton New Orleans Riverside, responded to this review, October 16, 2012
Justin S,

Happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and we hope to see you again soon. Lots of fun events planned here in New Orleans in early 2013 so if you are ready for some well deserved R&R this winter, give us a call and our Concierge and Reservations teams will be happy to help you plan a Mardi Gras 2013 vacation.

Best of the upcoming Holiday Season to you and to your family.

Executive Office
Hilton New Orleans Riverside.
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

Generally this was a comfortable hotel located a short 10-15 minute walk to the French Quarter. I was here for a conference and originally checked into room 2416. This was a corner room the farthest from the elevators. However, for a two queen bed room it was very cramped and small. I was then switched to room 2426 which was more typical of a two queen room but definitely more spacious. Both rooms had views of the Mississippi river. The rooms were clean and beds were comfortable. The hotel itself is showing some wear and tear in the hallways and elevators. The executive lounge was comfortable. The choices of food were okay: for breakfast the standard continental breakfast with hard boiled eggs; in the evenings that I dropped in there were a choice of two appetizers. There much more culinary delights and options to seek outside of the hotel. A glowing spot was the staff, they were extremely friendly and helpful at every turn! If I were in New Orleans for vacation I would probably stay at a place closer to the French Quarter. No matter, this was a decent conference hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
problemdoc, Manager at Hilton New Orleans Riverside, responded to this review, October 14, 2012
Geoff G,

Thank you for the very nice review and I have shared your very nice comments with the team. Glad you to hear that you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you again soon.

The best of the Holiday Season to you and to your family.

Ormond Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012 via mobile

I stayed here for 3 days. Check in couldn't have been faster. Staff was very pleasant and helpful. Right across the street from Harrahs casino and very close to everything else. A great experience the entire time I was there.

• Stayed October 2012
Somuch,

Glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay. We enjoyed having you here and hope to see you again soon. If you have the opportunity to plan another trip later this year, keep us in mind. New Orleans hosts three awesome and magical parties in early 2013 - New Year's Eve, Super Bowl and Mardi Gras and we would enjoy having you here with us.

Best of the Holiday Season to you and to your family.

Chicago, Ilinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

My wife came with me on a business trip, so she wet out and played while I worked. This hotel is well suited to both business and leisure purposes. The meeting facilities are spacious and well equipped. The two downsides: there were virtually no power outlets (a problem in our electric gadget filled world); and, the A-V set ups were mediocre (small portable screens, fuzzy projectors). The lunch catered in for my meeting was awful: cold tortellini pasta salad and cole slaw; both of which ran out quickly. This is unacceptable in a diners' Mecca such as NO. The staff are friendly, but slow as molasses (I guess that's why this town is also called "The Big Easy" -- everyone takes it easy). The Concierge was very helpful in helping my wife find recreational activities. The room was clean and decent size, with a nice view of the Mississippi. The equipment is good and there was no charge for Internet access (my pet peeve). Furnishings and decorations were rather bland; but bed was comfy. The fitness center was modern and well-equipped.

Room Tip: Ask for river view away from elevators
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for choosing the Hilton New Orleans Riverside as your New Orleans Conference destination. Our apologies for the Lunch and AV issues. Your comments have been shared with both teams. Glad to hear that our Concierge was able to assist your wife in planning her sightseeing and day tours. Hopefully you both can come back together soon just for a vacation and enjoy all of the fun that New Orleans has to offer her guests.

The best of the upcoming Holiday Season to you and to your family!

Hilton New Orleans Riverside

Been to Hilton New Orleans Riverside? Share your experiences!