“Convenient and clean, despite the bites” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save now in New Orleans
Ranked #80 of 153 hotels in New Orleans
Vancouver, Canada
“Convenient and clean, despite the bites”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2009

I attended a convention at the New Orleans Convention Center, and this hotel was convenient, attractively priced, and comfortable. It was a short walk to the meeting, and I did not feel unsafe on the streets. There are a number of other hotels and restaurants in the area, and there is much more activity in the Warehouse district than there was in previous years.
Amenities are good, at this hotel. The pool was not busy and it was clean. The hot tub (spa) was hot and clean, as well. The laundry room was convenient and open 24 hours, and it was well cared for. There are computers in the lobby (which I did not use), and the free wireless connections for my laptop worked well. Breakfast included eggs and meat, porridge, waffles, yoghurt, fruit, and juice, and it was well managed. The room I had was a suite, and there was a sitting area and a disk to work at. The air conditioning was effective. The bed was comfortable, and the bed linen was clean.
I missed booking the last day of my stay, and when I added the day 3 weeks prior to arrival, was asked to pay an excessive amount to add on one day at the end. The attitude left me with a bad feeling, reminiscent of the old days in New Orleans, when the conventions motivated greed on the part of hotels and vendors. If you want a good rate -- book well in advance, and cover all of your bases.
On my first day, I was bitten on one arm. On day two and day 3, I had a few more bites, and I let the front desk know that I thought there were bedbugs in my room. I was told they would check the room (bedbugs are extremely difficult to find), but received no feedback, either while I was there, or from the survey information I filled out. After I left, I had no more bites, but itching for about a week. It is not an enormous problem, as bedbugs, I was informed, do not transmit human disease. The lack of attention to detail by the management in responding to my concern was disappointing.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business

233 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Alexandria, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2009

If you are attending an event at the Convention Center, this is a three long-block walk. However, if I was on vacation, I would not stay here. It's about a mile to mile and a half from the center of the French Quarter. I would not walk it alone and caught a cab each time I went to the FQ. However, walking to the CC during the day was fine. This property is in an industrial area and there is basically nothing around it.

Probably the worst Residence Inn for afternoon happy hours...very chintzy considering the price you're paying. Breakfast is better. Rooms were fine except my closet sliding glass mirror was broken and had never been replaced. Would stay there again, but only if I had to go to CC.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
Sunnyvale, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2009

Stayed here for 4 nights, booked through work to attend the SIGGRAPH Convention.

The room I stayed in was quite large, with a living room and kitchenette, it seems to be a typical Residence Inn setting. It felt like I was staying in an apartment. Everything was in good physical condition, no real complaints. But the internet connection, even though it was free, it was very very slow. It kind of felt like I was using an old dial-up modem most of the time.
They did serve a standard breakfast buffet and had a decent exercise room.

The staff was friendly and accommodating, no issues here.

The location was 2 to 3 blocks from the Convention Center, maybe a 12 minute walk. I was unable to book the Marriott across the street from the Convention Center, but that's ok. It was across the street from Emeril's and other restaurants so it was easy to find good food.

Overall, it was a good typical Residence Inn stay.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
SF, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2009

Helpful staff, great breakfast, good value on rooms. Pleasant outside areas.

I was in New Orleans for a conference. This hotel was reasonably priced and convenient to the convention center. It's slightly worn; there were cigarette burns on some of the surfaces in my room. The staff here made the hotel worth a repeat visit. They went the extra mile to help.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
Baltimore,MD
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2009

I just spent 5 nights at this hotel for a conference. I was required to have a roommate so this set up is really great. The hotel is three blocks from the convention center so the location is good if that is what you need. It was about a $6/7 cab ride to the french quarter. We has a two bedroom suite with 1.5 baths. It's very dated, and seem just worn. There is no other way to describe it.

No wifi, TV's in each rooms all got different channels, and it backed up to a vacant building. I did feel safe as the Federal Marshals were staying there. There is free breakfast, and happy hour everynight. Free coffee to start the day is always a plus.

If you have a family and are on a budget this may meet your needs. There are many other nice hotels that are in the area. Leave this one off the list.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
Houston, TX
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2009

This hotel is not nice at all.. Our room had dirty towels left in the room. No hot water. The maids left all cleaning products in the room. The hotel staff was Ghetto as hell...I will never stay again even if it was free. No extra towels in the hotel at all. This hotel bed was hard. Furniture in rooms and hotel is very old. Sad

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
Marietta, GA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2009

Our company booked me there for a two night stay along with about thirty other company employees for the Clean Show in June 2009.

The positives:
- Consistent Residence Inn experience with friendly staff at check in and room decor and furnishings. I was able to check in early around 1 PM which greatly benefited my schedule.
- Good breakfast buffet like most Residence Inn's I have stayed at in Dallas, Orlando, San Antonio, Houston, Las Vegas, and Washington DC. Not quite as much variety day-to-day, but you can always count on sausage, scrambled eggs, toast, and breakfast potatoes with juices, milk, and coffee (I was only there for 2 days, so the routine may vary).
- Clean room and fresh linens on the bed (decent mattress) and bath.
- Full kitchen including full-size fridge (w/ice maker), 2-burner electric stove top, microwave, sink, dishwasher, utensils, coffee maker, etc, but no conventional oven.
- The whole hotel consists of four buildings around a central courtyard containing a pool, sport court, barbecue grill and tables/seating to relax around native plants and flowers...a welcome sight in the warehouse district in New Orleans where they are located.
- An easy one-block walk to "Cochon" on Tchoupitoulas St, a marvelous local restaurant specializing in pork (with highly acclaimed national restaurant reviews too). The place was "by reservation only" for a table, but I got a seat at the chef's bar and watched Chef Stephen Stryjewski and his crew at work.....sauteed frog legs with English peas, hogshead cheese, salad and fresh rolls.....mighty fine with a couple of glasses of merlot. There are numerous other restaurants close by as well...I would highly recommend Rio Mar (where I've had great dining experiences before....Spanish-style local seafood). The Ugly Dog Saloon gets good reviews too, but I didn't have time to try it out, and Hip Stix (which was closed for vacation while I was there). Emeril's Restaurant is also only a
block away (at Tchoupitoulas and Julia St), but I have not had the time to experience that either.
- An easy 3-4 block walk from the hotel to the convention center, but even in June in NOLA it gets might hot and steamy fairly early in the morning.

The negatives:
- Dimly lit hallways....could certainly benefit from some lighting upgrades there.
- The hotel could benefit from an overall “freshening up” with new paint and carpet (in my opinion), but that may be in the works.
- Parking is in two adjacent public lots (shared with the D-Day Museum and other venues) and costs an additional $18 per day, but no valet parking is available (as I had been accustomed to at the Embassy Suites on Julia St on previous stays. NOLA is mostly a walking city with taxi, street car for alternate means. The streets are so narrow and usually one-way, so it takes a knowledgable driver (or one with GPS) to find your way around anyway. I did have a rental vehicle (w/my own GPS) for my stay, since I needed to visit our office in the 'burbs, but if you intend to stay around downtown, the quarter, or the warehouse/convention district, I would recommend taking a cab instead.
- No grocery stores close by: the hotel has a "market pantry" with a limited selection of basic drinks, frozen entrees, dessert, etc, but with a significant markup which is almost a "ripoff" (but you pay for the convenience). They offer daily grocery shopping for guests at a local Walmart, but I was not there long enough to try that out.

All in all, a good value, especially considering what NOLA has been through in the past few years, and I would not hesitate to stay there again.

Stayed June 2009, traveled on business

Been to Residence Inn New Orleans Downtown? Share your experiences!