“Never again!!” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #53 of 155 Hotels in New Orleans
Trophy Club, TX
“Never again!!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2014

My husband and I checked into the Residence Inn for a romantic weekend in New Orleans. When we got there, we found out that they charge $24.50 for parking, which is fine, but the parking lot was full so we had to park 3 blocks away in an unlit lot, which they refused to give us directions to. I'm assuming that we parked in the right lot...it was so darn dark that we had no idea if we parked in the correct lot. When we got there, the lot had a clearly marked sign that said $10 public lot. Had I known that, I would have just paid the $10 and hoped for the best. As it was, I was charged a $30 parking deposit (on top of the $90 deposit they charged us for incidentals). When I asked the manager, she said that they would not take the charges off because I used their parking. Now, I'm from Dallas, and I understand $20+ for parking. But, at least those hotels valet your car!! My advice, stay away. All you will find at this hotel is rude people and excessive charges for very little security.

• Stayed January 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2014

I am a frequent traveler and choose to stay at Residence Inn because of the free breakfast, customer service level, clean rooms, clean bathrooms etc. This Residence Inn could not fix my co worker's tv so they brought her another one that STILL did not work. I experienced a messed up toliet the last 2 days of my stay. We both reported this to the front desk, but the people that came to fix our issues didn't FIX anything! Long story short...I will stay at another hotel while visiting New Orleans.

Room Tip: Make sure your toilet and tv work in your room BEFORE unpacking!
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Washington State
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2014

We stayed here for 4 days in January. It was the weekend of the Sugar Bowl so it was quite busy. We had a 2 bedroom 1 bathroom unit. It was clean, quiet and so very convenient to the French Quarter, Emerils, WWII Museum and Magazine Street. The only down side to this unit was that the shower in the bathroom had absolutely no water pressure when using warm water. So very difficult to take a shower!

People here was so pleasant!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014

We have three kids and so most Marriott properties will not allow 5 to a room. We stayed New Year's Day and two more days. It was fairly busy with the Bowl game people in town. We arrived at about 2 and our room was not ready until after 4:30 p.m. We had a two bedroom suite which was pretty quiet and in good shape. Our room was in a separate building than the reception desk. Our building was enclosed but the common area was not heated and it was very cold when the temperatures dropped to 37 and the wind was blowing. Breakfast and manager's receptions were good. Staff did a good job. Reception desk was very busy the entire time. $14 per person one way by taxi from airport. $7 by taxi to port for cruises. Very close to WWII Museum. About 8 blocks to beginning of French Quarter. We walked to and from without issues. The snacks and drinks for sale by the reception desk are quite expensive.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Jeanerette, Louisiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

I stayed here with a group of my friends for a weekend trip. The hotel was nice. Its very close to the convention center and french quarters. I didnt like the parking, you have to pay to park across the street and ist not secured. Also a few of the staff members was friendly, but when we called the front desk for more towel the gave us attitude. But over all its a nice hotel and we had a great stay.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Winston-Salem, North Carolina, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

So we went for New Year's so it was crowded, a lot of Alabama and Oklahoma fans, so with that in mind Hotel was noisy and crowded, but not due to hotel itself.

Pros:
1) Good location, quiet, close to good restaurants, 10 blocks from the never ending French Quarter partying.
2) Courteous staff, we had some issues due to crowding, towels came in late, lines at breakfast, but overall the staff handled those situations with patience and helped all people, not only us.

Cons:
1) Rooms a little old.
2) Parking expensive and crowded.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Mandeville, LA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2013

My husband and I spent the weekend of December 27-28 in New Orleans because we were attending the NBA game downtown Friday night and we were attending a wedding in St. Louis Cathedral Saturday night. It was also my husband's birthday on Saturday so we were making a nice weekend of it. We had some free Marriott points so we decided to use them for this weekend. We live in a suburb of New Orleans so we do this quite often.

We checked in and received the one bedroom suite on the top floor as requested. The room was very clean and spacious and quiet. The first night there was very nice although you could hear some street noise below.

The next day was rainy so we had a nice lunch since it was my husband's birthday and we tried to go to the WWII Museum but it was extremely crowded. So we went back to the room at around 2:30 pm to rest and then get ready for the wedding. We walked downstairs at around 6:00 to the parking lot where the cars are parked for the hotel to go to the wedding and our Suburban was gone!! It had been stolen from the lot! Needless to say, we did not get to the wedding. We waited for the police and talked to the hotel operations manager, Spencer Howell, who did not help us much with the theft of our car! First of all, the hotel gives you a tag and tells you to self park your car in the lot across the street. It has no surveillance cameras or security watching your vehicle and it has no locked gate so anyone can enter it. The best part is they charge you $20 a day to self park your car. There is no secure parking at all for this hotel.

This is the only hotel that I know of that has no secure parking downtown and we have stayed at many. There is no posting of lock your doors or we are not responsible for lost items, etc. in the parking lot.

I live in a suburb of this city and crime is a big problem in New Orleans. The police officer who came kind of shrugged it off and gave me no reassurance that my vehicle would be found. The manager, Spencer, at the hotel offered only to supply us a free ride to the wedding! Well, after I told Spencer that we were not paying for parking at the hotel and that we would be leaving immediately and that I was a Tripadvisor reviewer, he then offered me my points back for the free night. I guess he should!! The front desk did not even know the phone number to the Director of Loss Prevention for Marriott!

I love my city but any tourists coming to New Orleans need to be extra careful. Don't be fooled by anyone telling you that you are in a safe area. That's one reason why I live in a suburb of the city. This is a tourist area and one tourist hearing our problem at the front desk switched his hotel because of my theft. I will not stay here again or at any hotel without a secure parking lot. My nice ten year old Suburban that we all took great family trips in and we swore never to sell is now gone to a criminal!! I am very heartbroken over this and am now very skeptical of even going to New Orleans in the future.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Residence Inn New Orleans Downtown? Share your experiences!