“Quiet location but close to everything” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points!
Ranked #67 of 154 Hotels in New Orleans
Toledo, Ohio
“Quiet location but close to everything”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2012

This hotel is just a little dated, but the friendly staff and amenities make up for it. The location is on a quiet street, just a few blocks from the French Quarter. I really appreciated being able to quickly walk to the hustle and bustle, and then return to the quiet of the hotel. The staff was incredibly friendly and helpful. And, the breakfast buffet exceeded my expectations. The fitness center is well-equipped. The room furnishings are somewhat dated, but acceptable.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Plant City, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2012

Stayed at the hotel with a friend just after the NCAA playoff game ended.The hotel is located close to the convention center and casino. I found that there are a number of well known Restaraunts within walking distance so that made staying here easy.

Staff is very friendly and helpful. I strongly suggest stocking up on provisions at one of the local markets(Rouses) as the hotels shop is more that a bit pricy and cost prohibitive

The rooms are very clean and spacious and the only issue I have is that some of the furniture is dated and is showing it's age.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Birmingham, Alabama
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2012

Stayed here in Jan 2012 for the weekend of the National Championship game. I used points, so I can't comment on the value. The biggest negative was how dated our room was. For the most part, it was clean. However, the bathroom was in serious need for some renovation and I wouldn't say it was very clean. I have probably stayed in close to 50 Marriott properties and I can't remember any that needed updated more than this one. I also wasn't happy that I had to pay $40/night for parking. I realize it was the NC game weekend and the city is packed, but when your website advertises $20/night parking, it ought to be $20/night. They also didn't have valet. I had to drive to the parking deck a few blocks away to park the car. I would not recommend this to a friend or fellow traveler.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2012

Stayed here on Christmas Eve before departing on a cruise. We generally like this chain and the 2 bedroom fit our needs. This is different from the typical suburban Residence Inn as it's in the city and a different layout than usual, which is both good and bad. Very spacious unit, although it could be problematic for some as there were 3 stairs to get down to the living room/kitchen area. The other difference is that this was probably a refurbished commercial building which now has many open atriums around which the rooms are built. While nice looking they reflect sound dramatically and those staying in the bedrooms facing the courtyards hear the drop of a pin. Other than that, we were quite pleased. The staff was nice and the breakfast was the usual. Close to the WWII museum and cruise port. A drive or cab to the quarter unless you feel like a long walk. Close enough to the convention center to walk there. Overall, it fits with the "uniqueness" of New Orleans. Unlike prior reviews, we found it clean and not particularly "dated".

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Memphis, TN
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2012

I am a stickler about reviews, but I can usually tell when a review is from a disgruntled guest or just an objective review. I should have payed attention to the previous reviews. I will begin by saying that each employee that I encountered was very nice, helpful, knowledgeable,and friendly. Claudette was always smiling and very accommodating. Brittany was nice, as well as the GM. However, the hotel left plenty to be desired. Lobby and check in process was easy breezy. The courtyard was really pretty and I sat out when it was nice. As soon as you walk through the threshold towards the elevators you see nasty stained carpet in the hallways, discolored wood on railings, filthy ceiling fans, just easy fixes that seems careless not to fix. So we reserved the 2BR suite #216 (1st room) it was clean, kinda musty but clean, entrance to room has a rise in the poorly laid green carpet that you could easily trip on, sofa was kinda worn, upholstery could stand a shampoo. We went out and came back it was still rather warm so guess what the AC wasn't functioning. I rang the front desk, they sent engineering right up, and he tinkered a bit, and nothing. Long story short engineering came 3 times, the unit was freezing, the hotel was sold out, as well as the city of New Orleans because it's New Years Eve. So the GM calls me 1st thing the next morning and apologizes, moves us, credits us, and the rest is history. Room #2 was much better I think it was #236. 2 full baths, and a bit more spacious. Parking was a mess because its just limited in the area but it was never a huge deal. On NYE we actually took a cab to the quarter, so we wouldn't have to park, and ended up walking back because hailing a cab here was worse than New York lol. Again, the staff was wonderful, and if the Marriot corporation is not willing to invest in their properties for simple cosmetic issues, shame on them. I am a Marriot rewards member so I will email them as well! I will not stay at this particular location again.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Lewisville, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2012

My wife, young son and I stayed at this location as assigned by a reservation service during the National Athletic Trainer's Association Convention. The ammenities were perfect for our down time needs and location was great for a quick walk to the convention center for my meetings. We were pleased with the snacks and light meals offered in the lounge area and the tropical feel of the courtyard was great for an escape in the middle of a busy city. This was our first stay in NOLA and we were a little apprehensive about getting around and knowing where to go to eat and how to get around. Every staff member from the manager to desk staff and the houskeeping personnel bent over backwards to make sure we were greeted with friendly, courteous, and helpful attitudes for anything we needed. I can't stress enough how the staff made us feel so welcome and put our minds at ease about getting around an unfamiliar place. Room was clean, but the carpet was dirty and we were not aware our room had stairs leading to the living space which was a bit dangerous for our toddler. The apartment style kitchen with stove, oven, microwave, and fridge were a big plus and separate bedroom for out little boy helped us get plenty of rest. We will definitly try to stay at this location again especially if they have made a few updates in rooms.

Room Tip: Some rooms have separate bedrooms and living spaces
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Cleveland, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2011

An older building but it fits right in in New Orleans. It looks like an apartment complex turned into the Residence. The two room suit had two very large bedrooms, one and a half baths, and a large living area and full kitchen. The extra half bath was so nice to get ready in while someone else used the full bath. Our bath appeared to be remodeled and had a large garden tub. (a family member stayed in a room they said was still old and had mold in the shower but I did not see their room) Each room and living area had a TV. One bedroom was interior and one has a window on the walkway to the other rooms. The people sleeping in the outside room were woke up by people coming in late after being out partying. There is a heated outdoor swimming pool and basketball court. A full hot/cold breakfast. They are about a 30 min plus walk to the French Quarters. The streets downtown in this area are narrow and we were pulling a trailer - it was right down the street from the Cruise Ship terminals so very convenient for us since that was our destination. Overall I highly recommend and would stay here again.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Residence Inn New Orleans Downtown? Share your experiences!