“Great location and price, offers some nice personal touches” 3 of 5 stars
Review of St. James Hotel, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member

You added St. James Hotel, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member to your Saves list
St. James Hotel, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   330 Magazine Street, New Orleans, LA 70130 (Central Business District)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #46 of 155 Hotels in New Orleans
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Great location and price, offers some nice personal touches”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Overall, we are glad we stayed here for a 5 night new orleans vacation (me and my husband).

Concierge/staff: Very friendly, greeted us and offered information when asked. Machiele (pronounced like "Michelle") is a gem, charming and informative. She kept us straight, telling us which streets were safe no matter the hour and which ones to avoid once the sun set.

Rooms: Our first night the hotel was crowded and we had a late check-in. We had asked for a quiet room with a window, as large as possible (info gathered from other TripAdvisor reviews). They could not accomodate this the first night but offered it on the second. Our first room was HUGE, a king room on the front of the hotel (along Magazine St) with two windows facing Magazine St and some nice NOLA architecture. The facilities are in decent shape (nice linens, bed, furniture) but by no means pristine (stain on curtain, crumbling caulking along tub). This was room 301. My husband and I did not find it noisy at all. On our second night, we were moved (with some prompting). Imagine my surprise when our room was roughly 1/2 the size of the original! It was quieter (re: street noise) and did have a window, but was much smaller (room 322). The noise that DID bother us here was the slamming/shutting of other doors on our hallway; it's an older hotel, and other doors closing made quite a noise in our room each time.

Breakfast: This was my favorite personal touch. I am not a morning person and do not like seeing the entire hotel's guests at 0700 for coffee and buffet breakfast. This hotel offers the perfect solution - complimentary room service croissants and jam + coffee/tea/juice, delivered at your request. You fill out your preferences for time slot (30 min slots from 0700-1000) and beverages and hang it on your door handle. Continental breakfast arrived on cue each morning of our stay, sparing my husband from a daily starbucks run.

Parking: This was one concern we had prior to checking in. Valet is available for $29/day. Your car is parked in one of 4 lots in a few block radius of the hotel. You park your car and leave keys with the front desk, who calls the valet to park your car. You must request your car approx 20 min prior to your planned departure for the same reason; you do this by calling the front desk, who radios valet. We found this helpful on the weekend when the area was more congested, but during the week we parked at a Premium Parking lot (directly across Magazine from hotel front door) for $25/day. We had no problems finding a spot here. Saved a few bucks and saved on time/valet tips.

Location: This is the true winner for the St James. Perfect location for access to the FQ without being in the middle of it. We easily walked to the WWII museum. The streetcar access is also easy (highly recommend riding the full length of the St Charles streetcar during the day for a 'tour'), just two blocks from St Charles. Through the hotel's courtyard and sidestreet (Natchez) there was easy access to Tchoupitoulas street (Cochon/butcher, Mothers, August, etc).

If you're looking for a bargain with close proximity to the FQ and friendly service, this is a great option.

• Stayed January 2015, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Ridgeland, Mississippi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

I was celebrating with friends at a wedding over the weekend and after the wedding I wont to hang out in the city. Machiel was excellent with giving me a lot of choices and giving me the directions on how to get there. Machiel was great and has convinced me to make my reservations for my New Orleans trips at the St. James Hotel for now on. Thank you so much Machiel, she is a great asset to your company.

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!!!!

• Stayed January 2015, traveled with friends
Grand Junction, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

This is an older Hotel that has been remodeled with a more modern look. TV was great, internet was great beds were great. A little noisy, I think because of gap under door. The price was awesome. I purchased an non-refundable not changeable not cancelable room in advance. So the price was about 100.00 with tax through Choice Hotels. It was worth it. It was walking distance from our Cruise port and close to allot of my favorite places to eat. Walking distance to French Quarter.

• Stayed January 2015, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

The hotel was very nice. The staff was so friendly. Gregory Patton was very nice and took time to visit with us and answer our questions. Burton the manager and Michelle the front desk staff were also very helpful with suggestions on fun things to do.our room was very comfortable and had a cute little window seat. It had all the amenities you could ask for. Will definately recommend and stay again.

Stayed January 2015, traveled on business
Jonesboro, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Stayed here for a last minute birthday trip. Service was awesome from the moment we checked in! The front desk staff was always helpful, from recommendations on hotspots to the Manager Burton, hailing me down a cab so that I wouldn't miss my ride home. the property was beautiful and I would definitely make this my hotel of choice when visiting New Orleans.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
Saratoga Springs, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Several of my sisters and I decided to get together for a long week-end away. We decided on a trip to NOLA and traveled from different parts of the country. The St. James Hotel was chosen as the place to stay due to its location, amenities and positive reviews. We got much more than we ever expected. Check-in was a breeze with Machiel. We were pleasantly surprised at how spacious the room was as some of the reviews suggested they were small. The rooms we had were a king on the 4th floor and a double on the 3rd floor, both were clean, quiet and comfortable. We felt the bathroom was also large enough and nicely stocked with amenities. When we were ready to head out Machiel was very helpful in heading us in the right direction and did not hesitate to let us know if she could do anything else for us. All three mornings we stayed our breakfast was delivered at the precise time we had asked. They were delivered and set up by Greg who was also very pleasant and made us feel welcome and special. Then there was Cheryl, we told her what we were interested in doing that day so she made calls and booked our tour for us. We will never forget our time in NOLA and especially the St. James Hotel and staff. We all highly recommend this wonderful establishment.

• Stayed January 2015, traveled with family
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We booked this hotel for the Sugar Bowl because our prefered hotels cost too much. I read the reviews on TA and when I checked in, I asked for: high floor, courtyard, away from elevator, preferably in back building. I got all of those things. In addition, I had booked a room with 2 queens. That took care of the size problem that many people mentioned. We got what we asked for and everything was great. The room was large, comfortable, and quiet. The only problem, as many people have mentioned, was the water pressure. But my wife was recently at a hotel in NY and had the same problem.

But I was most impressed with the front desk staff. There was a black lady working there, and I wish I could remember her name, who was amazing. When we checked out, she was the only one there. But she was patient, and efficient. We weren't leaving till late in the afternoon, so she checked our bags (and later retrieved them) so we could and go to the WW II museum, which itself was amazing. Don't miss it.

The hotel is one 2 short blocks off Canal, and then only 4 blocks to Bourbon Street. We were able to walk everywhere - to Jackson Square - to the convention center - and to the Superdome.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled with family

Been to St. James Hotel, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member? Share your experiences!