“Attractive old hotel.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of St. James Hotel, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member

You added St. James Hotel, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member to your Saves list
St. James Hotel, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   330 Magazine Street, New Orleans, LA 70130 (Central Business District)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #47 of 154 Hotels in New Orleans
London, United Kingdom
“Attractive old hotel.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2014

Attractive old hotel about 10 minute walk from the French quarter. Lovely internal courtyard. Staff very helpful booking river cruise etc. Room on the small side, quite comfortable BUT no windows. I suppose we could have asked to move but as we didn't spend much time in the room we didn't bother. Parking a bit pricey.

Room Tip: Ask when you check in for a room with a window.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2014

We stayed in this hotel for 5 nights. We were a group and my husband and I were given room 403 which was nice because it has a king size bed and a private patio. The room was big as was the bathroom. The linen were very clean. I loved the shampoo, soaps etc as they were Bath and Body works so great quality. Little bottles difficult to empty in the shower but succeeded. Great stuff. All staff was very friendly, polite and very helpful. It was nice to be in an older hotel with obvious history and character. A fast walk to the French quarter, nice to be close but I think nice as well to be a little on the outskirts of such a busy area.
Free WiFi included but quite slow. Not very functional for more than simple google searches or one website search at a time.
Fun that morning coffee, orange juice and croissants are included and delivered to your room at requested time. Would be a great touch if one could also fruit to go for the day (not prepared just a whole fruit) such as banana or apple. Really nice that a bar size fridge and microwave are included with the room as well.
Only downfall is amount of garbage always stacked on magazine street along the way. bad smells all around but then these smells are all over the French Quarter as well so part of the game.
All the New Orleans people we met (here at hotel and out and about) are extremely friendly.

Room Tip: try to get a room with a patio, worth it for the morning coffee and croissants. Take advantage of...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2014

I was pleasantly surprised that this hotel was as close to Harrah's as it was - two blocks away. I went for a short gambling/sight-seeing trip and was thrilled with the accommodations. The lobby was small but nice. The lobby specialists were so accommodating and pleasant with me. They checked me in early because a room was cleaned before 3. I went to my room, but I was also working and was far away from an internet device so my service on my laptop was slow at best. I went to the lobby and asked about a different room and they immediately moved me to a room near an internet device. It worked great.

My room was small, but quaint. I had three windows that were from the ceiling to the floor. I slept like a baby on their beds. The maid service as great and understood I was working in the mornings and they came in the afternoon to clean.

Each morning, a man in a vest and bowtie came to my room with fresh croissants, coffee and orange juice on a silver platter with butter and jelly. This was included in my stay, no charge. You just put a note on your door the night before of what you'd like and wa-la, it's yours. This was an unexpected treat.

On my last day, they held my luggage for me since I had a late flight and I went out to the French Quarter to shop and sight see for the day. By the way, right next door there is a Steakhouse that many people were being valet parked for when I went out at night. Must've been fabulous. Across the street I went to "Bon Ton" Café and it was fabulous Louisiana food.

Only thing I would say negative is that Bourbon St is NOT for families. There are gentleman's clubs all over the place on that street and some of the girls stand at the front door in lingerie to lure you in. I didn't care because it was just me on business but I wouldn't take my family to that street. Some of the gift shops had beaded necklaces with gentalia on them LOL as well.

Overall, I loved St James and will definitely stay again.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room, they have more windows. Ask for a room in the first building near the front...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2014

Stayed here for 4 nights and booked mainly because of the location which is so handy, beside Canal Street and the French Quarter. Despite its location its in a very quiet area so we had no issues with outside noise.
The staff were particularly helpful and friendly and had lots of tips for tourists and really good local knowledge. The rooms were very clean and well proportioned and the beds were comfy, but the rooms are coming close to needing refurbishment, e.g. old fridge in the room with a very noisy element and carpet which could do with updating (albeit spotlessly clean).
The free coffee delivered in the am was frankly a waste. I'm not a coffee snob but this was bordering on undrinkable, with powdered milk, and the croissants never seemed very fresh. As they were free it's not an issue but i wonder if it's worth it for the hotel, perhaps better to offer free fresh coffee delivered on request.
We also found the valet parking a problem, - a long wait for a valet to be available to take the car from us and an even longer wait when we wanted to pick it up. In fairness we were advised of this in advance of checking out so we made sure to factor in an extra 20 minutes, but on our arrival, after a long drive when we just wanted to get to our room, the long wait was just too much.
Also, I'm not sure if any guests actually use the pool?! It's too small to be called a pool so would be better served as a decorative pond or being filled in completely to make a nice outdoor seating area!
Overall though, despite those problems, I would stay here again.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2014

I am only going to echo the reviews of previous guests and say how great this hotel is. It's a fabulous location - two blocks from Canal Street - half a block from Poydras Street. So many great restaurants around for breakfast and dinner - plus very short walks to the casino, riverwalk, streetcars and the WWII Museum. The room was decent size with a nice TV, clean bathroom and comfortable bed. We took advantage of the courtyard in the evenings and had drinks out there (it's BYO - but there's a liquor store on the corner at Canal Street) after we came back from, well, drinking in other establishments. Some folks took their breakfast in the courtyard and read the morning papers there, too. Even though I was right next to the elevator lobby, it was pretty quiet (which surprised me). We never tried the steakhouse next door (The Chophouse) but they had good crowds in there at night.

They offer coffee, juice and a croissant (delivered to your room) - which is super nice to have as you are getting ready in the morning. The only tricky part is trying to predict the night before what time you think you'll be awake to answer the door for the staff that brings it. This was by far the toughest decision I made during my stay in the city. There's also coffee in the lobby - but it was frequently empty when we tried to maintain our caffeine levels after breakfast.

The only "ding" is the pool - which is *really* small. It's not even large enough to do laps. But trust me, you're not coming to New Orleans to swim, are you?!

The staff was friendly and very helpful with excursions, directions, recommendations and getting airport shuttle reservations ironed out. Can't say enough - would definitely recommend and stay here again.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2014

Gorgeous hotel, quiet area, central to the French Quarter. Amazingly kind and helpful staff. Room was spacious and beautiful. Breakfast was tasty. Lovely patio and comfy snuggly seats. Little plunge pool. Made to feel immensely welcome and spoiled!

• Stayed May 2014
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2014

We needed a room at the last minute since we decided to spend one more day at Jazz Fest. My wife and I were very pleased we chose the St. James. I can't say enough about the staff, especially the folks at the front desk. They were so friendly and helpful. Excellent location with a leisurely five to ten minute walk to the Quarter. Yes, this is an older hotel. However, the property is well maintained. Definitely will stay at the St. James again.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends

Been to St. James Hotel, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member? Share your experiences!