“Come Stay at the St James” 5 of 5 stars
Review of St. James Hotel, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member

You added St. James Hotel, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member to your Saves list
St. James Hotel, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   330 Magazine Street, New Orleans, LA 70130 (Central Business District)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #46 of 154 Hotels in New Orleans
Amelia, Louisiana
“Come Stay at the St James”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2014

The St James has a feel of a boutique hotel, the staff is extremely helpful and attentive with Director of Sales Ms Sarah Hixson leading the way. The front desk has wonderful people like Ms Arial and Ms Christina that perform customer service that make guests feel at home while letting them know that they are a valued guest. The location is fantastic, a few blocks to the French Quarter, Casino or the CBD, the Superdome is also walking distance with bars and restaurants along the way. Take your time there is plenty to see and do in the Big Easy.
If on business or pleasure the St James offers great value and comfort at a great location.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014

We travel to New Orleans frequently, and I like to try different hotels each time. After reading reviews and getting a great price, I decided to book the St. James. Checking in I had high hopes. I was traveling with my husband and our 3 yr, old daughter. I booked a room with 2 doubles, but when we were shown to our room we were given a king bed for 3 people. The room was so small that the bed took uo the whole room. We decided to make the best of it and all 3 sleep in the same bed since our daughter was small. One reason we stayed here was because the rooms had mini fridges, and we neede to refrigerate my daughters medicine. Well, the temperature in the fridge was barely cool. Still, we were in New Orleans and on vacation! Fun to be had!
The next morning we were getting ready to go out, and I was getting our bag ready. I needed to put our valuables in the safe just to be sure while we were out. I didn't think much about it until the day we checked out. I opened the safe only to realize I had a book of checks, some jewelry, and cosmetics stolen. It was a brand new book of checks. I went to the front desk, only to be rebuffed. I askedto speak to a manager, only to be told rudely by them that no one stole my property, and they would nit look into the incident. I told them I was a travel agent and would tell all my clients to never come here. I filed a police report, only to find out 2 weeks later that the maid cashed 3 of my checks at a check cashing service.
Then the hotel had the nerve to send me a letter telling me that they hope I would come back and stay there again!!! THE NERVE!!

Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Jennifer D, General Manager at St. James Hotel, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member, responded to this review, February 20, 2014
Dear Michelle,

Let me begin by apologizing for the initial problems regarding your room type mix up and refrigerator. While these issues should have never been encountered, you tried to make the best of it which I thoroughly appreciate.

The valuables that were stolen as well as the attitude by our front desk agent is outrageous. I can not apologize enough for this experience as it is completely unacceptable. May I please request that you contact me directly to discuss this matter further. I would like nothing more than to discover the bad seeds in connection to your experience and to reimburse you for any losses. This is something that is taken very seriously by our staff and will never be tolerated.

The letter that was sent to you is something we try to do as a follow up with guests to show our appreciation and was in no way meant to affect you the way it did. Once again, please contact me directly at the hotel at your earliest convenience.
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2014 via mobile

These were the main things I was looking for in a Hotel during my birthday stay here this past week. I found them all at the St. James.

The staff was always very accomodating, even when we may have dragged our feet due to some Hand Grenades and Mint Juleps here and there, but they leave you at peace, and show up when you request them to do so in a quick manner. Im very low maintence and my girlfriend isn't as much, but nevertheless, they met the needs of us both greatly, so a big thanks to Amy, Julia, Ari, Kate and Barbara for their hospitality, and reccomendations of places to visit, shop and eat.

The St. James Hotel is extremely close to the action and alcoholism, which is what, I feel, people flock to New Orleans for, besides its cultural vibrancy. So why stumble a mile when a few blocks (literally) from Bourbon Street, will do?

I definitely plan on returning here whenever I am back in town, unless it's to live. And even then I'd stop in to say hello. They certainly gave my visit to the city peace and consistency when not out on the own, and that's what I will forever be thankful for.

-Diamond

• Stayed February 2014
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2014

Does the job. Good location, easy to walk a lot of places or take the streetcar, quiet for comfortable sleeping. Staff was friendly at check-in. It's definitely nice that they offer free breakfast croissants and juice/coffee, although they woke us up to deliver them and the croissants were so-so and they were already out of OJ by 7:30AM. It IS free, so I can't really complain, just don't get overly excited about free breakfast! Clean room, clean bathroom, nice soap, great amount of towels (yay! I hate not having enough towels). Better price than a lot of places. I recommend it.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2014

The St James hotel is a located only a couple of minutes from Canal Street and about 5mins from the French Quarter. You're close to streetcars and buses so you can commute with ease to everything

The Hotel has a lovely little courtyard which sadly, because of the rain, we didn't use but is available to use all the time. The beds were so comfortable we wanted to take them home with us. The hotel was really quiet, we were only disturbed a couple of times as our room was by the ice and vending machines and due to a university graduation that took place in a courtyard next to the hotel.

The staff were brilliant. Amy, Christina and Ariael looked after us so well! They took care of organizing tours for us and gave us great recommendations of local places to check out. They're all local to the city and very friendly and fun.

It was our first visit to the city and I would recommend this hotel to anyone wanting to visit.

Room Tip: Avoid room 210 as it's opposite the ice machine and vending machine.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2014

We had to book a hotel at the last minute and got a good deal through the airline. The staff was great and accommodating. The room was clean and very comfortable. A small breakfast of fresh juice, coffee, and croissants was brought to The room each morning. Would definitely stay again.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2014

First visit to New Orleans. Located in the CBD with an easy walk to the French Quarter. Staff were friendly and helpful. Was some building work outside but wasn't a major issue. Only minor downside was the lack of a bar to have a quiet drink in whilst escaping the heat.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo

Been to St. James Hotel, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member? Share your experiences!