“Good boutique hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of St. James Hotel, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member

You added St. James Hotel, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member to your Saves list
St. James Hotel, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   330 Magazine Street, New Orleans, LA 70130 (Central Business District)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #46 of 154 Hotels in New Orleans
Los Angeles, California
“Good boutique hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

Having never been to New Orleans, I chose this hotel based on the reviews I read on here. I did not want a high-rise chain hotel but something with charm. My expectations were not 4 star, so I was pleasantly surprised by our nice room with a balcony and the great front desk staff. We were not right on the French Quarter but a few blocks down (easy walking) so it was nice and quiet at night.

My only request is that they clean the showers better. There was mold growing in the cracks of the tile. Other than that, our room was great.

Also, when we arrived we were really hungry but didn't feel like going far and the restaurants next door to the hotel did not have availability for over an hour, so we were told to visit "Mother's" restaurant down the street. It was exactly what we wanted. Southern flair but quick and easy. So if you stay at the St. James definitely try Mothers for some great quick food.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Detroit, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

The reviews I had read previously influenced my decision in choosing the St James. The reviews spoke of the attentiveness and friendliness of the staff and the charm of the hotel. I liked the location and I was able to land a very reasonable price for my mid-week stay.
My overall impression is that the hotel is not quite ready for prime time. Whe I made my reservation I had requested a quiet room and reminded the clerk at check in of this request, Her solution was to place me in a room on the second floor facing the street. My window was about 15 feet from the passing traffic, and in New Orleans, the street traffic doesn't subside. It goes all night. I'm curious as to what they consider a noisy room.
The room was spacious and reasonably clean, although it had an unfinished feel to it. For instance, there was not toilet paper holder. The toilet paper was simply sitting on the back of the toilet. The was no soap dish. There was no channel directory for the TV. These were all minor inconveniences, but indicative of an overall lack of attention to detail. I had requested a wake up call, but it never came.
So I can't say the experience was terrific at the St James.
I will say that the location is convenient. It is only a 6 to 7 minute walk to the French Quarter. Also, if you check and re-check various booking sites you can get a room for a bargain price. So, it's a balancing between the bargain price and the various small shortcomings.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

I very very rarely write reviews online. But my experience at the St. James last night really warrants a review to alert potential travelers that the pictures online are not what you get. Apologies for the long review, but I did want to highlight the ok, the good, and the very bad.

I booked the St. James for three nights because I was in town for a conference. I got to the hotel late (8pm) Wednesday night after a tough travel day and was really looking forward to showering and climbing into a clean bed. I was apprehensive as soon as I arrived.

The lobby is small and fairly beaten up. It also smelled a bit mildewed, but it is New Orleans- so sometimes that can't be helped. Check-in was a breeze with Ashley and I was soon on my way to the room.

To get there, I had to go through the inner courtyard - which is used as a smokers spot - and you can certainly tell. After quickly moving to the back building, I pushed the elevator button and it sounded like the wall was going to come down with the elevator. Yikes!

The hallways were dingy and all doors desperately need a paint job. But the most disappointing was the room. I opened up the door as I listened to the girls screaming next door and ... Uh oh. The walls were dirty, the lampshades were crooked and all furniture looked very very worn. But the worst was when I took my shoes off. As I walked to peek into the bathroom, I noticed many many stains on the rug and several holes and then my foot stuck to something on the rug. Ick. I looked down and my feet were filthy - I'd been in the room maybe 2 minutes.

The bathroom was also disappointing - the tub was filthy with the remnants of old dirty feet trying to be washed off and all fixtures were dull with age. The mirror was hanging crooked on the wall and all towels were that dingy white that white towels get after 1,000's of washes. And the toilet had been plunged so many times there were stains in the bowl.

And the bed- there were stains all over the decorative pillows and when I pulled back the sheets, there were stains that housekeeping had hidden near the foot of the bed. Oh - and the air conditioning was at best half-working. That was it for me. As tired as I was, I knew I wouldn't be able sleep in this room.

The one bright spot (and the reason for the two points) in my experience at the St. James was Ashley at the front desk. When I went to cancel my reservation for the next two nights, she was extremely gracious, apologized profusely, and switched me to another room for the night (which had a slightly cleaner floor and a working air conditioner). She also took care of canceling everything. She was extremely professional and management should reward her for her great customer service.

In the end, while I realize the St. James is only a 3.5 star hotel, even motel 6's are clean! And they don't charge upwards of $350/night. The St. James is tired and in desperate need of a renovation, new linens and DEEP carpet cleaning. Maybe then it will live up to its 3.5 star name.

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here on a Monday night. We got into town pretty early (about 10am) and they let us check in early which was awesome and valet parking was only $33 for all night until 4pm the next day which is a great price for the city and the price of the room was extremely reasonable and for the price you can't ask for a better location. A short walk to bourbon st and everything else from canal or Decatur st and the staff was extremely nice and helpful. This was a pretty nice and quiet hotel, that's not too say that we were.. but all in all we truly enjoyed our stay and will most likely stay here on our next visit!

• Stayed October 2013
Worldwide
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

I stayed here for two nights after working in/around the gulf coast and it was the perfect spot to explore New Orleans from. Walking distance to the French Quarter, without the noise of the French Quarter, the building itself is beautiful, it's decor straight from the West Indies. The price was very reasonable and considering how little time I actually spent in my room, I was happy I didn't overspend at the W down the street.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Austin, Texas, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

When traveling to NOLA I was not looking for the typical loud, party, New Orleans experience. I like history and architecture. This hotel was a great find. The building was built in 1833 and has gone through many incarnations over the years. The staff is very nice and helpful. We had an issue with the shower the first morning and it was fixed while we were out for the day. The breakfast brought to the door is great since I can never drag myself out of bed early enough for the standard hotel lobby breakfast. The room was clean and had great character. Floors are a little slanted (built 1833), exposed beam ceiling, section of exposed brick wall and cute, private balcony. A welcome change from the boring cookie cutter hotel room. Safe area close to shops, restaurants, and the trolley but away from the loud noise and craziness. Would definately stay again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Bay Saint Louis, Mississippi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

After researching hotels near or on Poydras close to the New Orleans Arena, this hotel seemed to be the one we should try. The main selling point for me was the numerous posts pointing out the excellent staff by name. When reviewers remember the names of staff, you should really pay attention, because that means that the staff was exceptional or poor. In the case of St. James Hotel, the staff was described as extremely helpful.
When we arrived, the staff was indeed helpful, pleasant, and accommodating, making this stay even more special for us!

The king suite is spacious and very inviting. The decor and flooring looks great, and the welcome note and snacks certainly set a great tone for how our stay would be!

And finally, to be awakened to breakfast in bed, of complimentary croissants, coffee, and juice, certainly helped put the fifth star in an already pleasantly unforgettable stay.

Thanks!

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to St. James Hotel, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member? Share your experiences!