“My new favorite hotel in New Orleans” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel St. Marie

Save Saved
You added Hotel St. Marie to your Saves list
Hotel St. Marie
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   827 Toulouse Street, New Orleans, LA 70112 (French Quarter)   |
Offers & Announcements
$89 Weekday Rates
Ranked #56 of 153 hotels in New Orleans
“My new favorite hotel in New Orleans”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2010

We stayed here for 3 nights in April of 2010. I have stayed in probably 25 different hotels/bed and breakfasts in New Orleans, but this was my first time at the HSM. It is my new favorite New Orleans hotel.

The location simply cannot be beat, just 1/2 block off of Bourbon, a safe and easy walk even for 'seniors' like my husband and I (ages 61/58). There is a convenience store right by the hotel and that was handy for picking up soda/candy, etc.

Reception staff was very friendly and helpful.

Our room was a 3rd floor balcony room that overlooked the pool and courtyard area. The room was very spacious and clean. Good tv and plenty of storage/closet area. Bathroom was typical size and very clean and well supplied. The balcony was small but it was fun to stand on it and watch the pool area. We had a king bed (huge!) that was very comfortable. Our room was down a little hallway next to a supply room and I was worried that we would hear the staff getting things out of there, but we never heard a thing, no noise issues at all.

We did not eat the continental breakfast because we prefer to eat at the restaurants New Orleans has to offer, but we did walk down to that area and it look cute.

When taking everything into consideration - location, size of room, comfort of bed, cleanliness, etc., the HSM is my new favorite hotel in New Orleans. We will definitely be staying here again.

1,248 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (274)
Cleveland, OH
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2010

I have been to NOLA three times now. I would not say this is my favorite place or that I would go back there just because there are so many choices. For value, you can't beat it and I love the staff. I'm just curious what else is there and I don't drink so could care less how close a place is to Bourbon St. If you do, it is so close it's crazy.

I stayed at their sister hotel last year -- Prince Conti. The room was bigger. My room at St. Marie (room 420) was small but that's OK, it's just me and I wasn't living in that hotel. So who cares, right? The courtyard and pool were lovely. It was WAY quieter than Prince Conti. For that, I give it 4 stars. But the room had a bit of an odor and there were papers on the floor behind the door from the previous person. It did not look like the sink was cleaned well and the bathtub drain did not open for some reason til half way through my shower. Plenty of fluffy towels and hot water and no bugs (good). Bed was super comfy and I slept great. Maybe if I went back I'd ask for a different room? Don't know. The staff was great. John Marshall a real southern gentleman. Amy, who also works at Prince Conti and she was at St. Marie when I was there. She was so helpful in planning my trip to another part of the city via cable car. If you want to get out of there and like estate gardens, visit Longue Vue in Metarie. A nice refuge. I took the cemetery cable car to the end and walked. Not a good idea. Had to go under the highway and it was dangerous but I made it. Also if you take that cable car to the end of the line there are two great cemeteries right there.
The spinach oyster salad at the Desire restaurant on Bourbon was excellent as was the red snapper stuffed with crab meat. As far as I can tell it's one of the only place around there that serves salad!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled solo
Smithfield
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2010

we recently stayed here and had a great time. I booked a room with a street view balcony and the room was great. Big room, clean, beds were great. The balcony was huge with a patio table and chairs with a view of Bourbon 1/2 a block away. The hotel staff was very professional and helpful with suggestions of tours and restaurants.
The continental breakfast is not the best but it is adequate for a quick cup of coffee and a croissant. With all the great food in New Orleans, I would rather eat out at one of the many excellent restaurants anyway.
Perfect hotel right in the middle of the French Quarter, 1/2 a block from Bourbon. We did not have a car and had no problem getting anywhere in the Quarter. We walked or took the streetcar around the city.

Arlington, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2010

My expectations weren't high with a boutique hotel in the Quarter at this price point so I suppose I was neither pleasantly surprised or disappointed.

The staff wasn't exceptionally friendly nor were they rude or unhelpful. We dealt with the same receptionist the handful of times we required assistance. He directed us to a few restaurants when we asked about that, helped us get some dry cleaning in, and called us a cab for the airport. Again, he wasn't rude but he was kind of subdued and robotic in his interactions. Maybe that's just his personality.

The room was comparative to a old, slightly run-down 2-star hotel (e.g. Days Inn). The room and bathroom were plenty spacious and the bed was usable but not comfortable. I think I may have had some trouble sleeping some nights if not for the excess amounts of alcohol. The room was clean but just had this sort of drabness about it.

We had a balcony room facing Dauphine. It was pleasant to sit out on the balcony in the afternoons even if there wasn't much going on to watch on the street. But it was quiet, save for the delivery and trash trucks in the morning, more interesting than the courtyard; and better than having a balcony on Bourbon (e.g. noisy!!)

Oh, there is a continental breakfast that includes croissants, apples, oranges, coffee, milk, and juice.

Overall it was a clean and comfortable stay at a good location in the Quarter at a hotel that was neither exceptional nor terrible.

San Francisco
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2010

Older building. When we got to our room it smelled musty and was told that older brick buildings all smell that way.We have stayed in older New Orleans buildings ,even in November,and there were no such odors.????The desk did send someone with an "Ionizer" which seemed to take care of the problem along with opening the French doors and airing the room out for several hours while we were out.But the beds..there is no fixing them.If I have on suggestion it is to get some decent beds.It's a good thing it"s New Orleans...the late nights and a few drinks help you get to sleep.On the plus side..great location in the Quarter,good staff,clean and with character.On balance I would stay at a place with some period charm than a new non-descript hotel.

St. Petersburg, Fl.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2010

The Hotel is in the heart of the French Quarter, perfect location. Within walking distance to everything. We highly recommend Acme, the best food anywhere in the quarter. Also, shop at Rouse, it's a grocery store a couple of blocks away, 24 ounce beer cans for $1.84. Saves you alot of money.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Detroit, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2010

Hotel and staff were fantastic. Even when the toilet overflowed they came right away and fixed everything. Fantastic experience.

Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel St. Marie? Share your experiences!