“already love the service” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel St. Marie

You added Hotel St. Marie to your Saves list
Hotel St. Marie
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   827 Toulouse Street, New Orleans, LA 70112 (French Quarter)   |
Special Rate
$89 Weekday Rates
Ranked #62 of 154 Hotels in New Orleans
boston, ma
“already love the service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2010

First time ever writing a review of a place and I haven't even stayed at this hotel yet (entered a fake vacation date so i could submit this review), but have found the staff to be very friendly and beyond accommodating over the phone and with my reservation. I cannot rate the room or cleanliness yet, but the service is top-notch and I had to write about it.

Heading to NOLA with fiancee to celebrate our engagement and we really wanted a balcony room. Since they were sold out online, I called over the phone and the receptionist was very knowledgeable, pleasant, and polite, while informing me that the only remaining balcony rooms available were with two double beds, rather than a queen or king. Despite being too tall to comfortably fit on a double bed length-wise, my fiancee and i really wanted the balcony room and decided that we could share one of the double beds, so I booked the room and crossed my fingers that we might be able to switch upon check-in. I noted my request for a queen or king bed in the reservation, but assumed it would never be considered after the agent completed the booking. I received the confirmation email shortly afterwards with my double bed balcony room.

The very next day, I got a new confirmation email from the hotel switching me to a balcony room with a king bed, just as I had wanted. I was very pleased since I've never had any luck with the larger corporate hotels honoring requests and assumed that, once the room was booked, my request would be completely forgotten.

Seriously, I tried calling the nearby Inn on Bourbon only to speak to a corporate booking agent who didn't even know anything about New Orleans, the hotel, or the rooms, and just wanted a credit card to put into the computer for to do the booking. Here, at Hotel St. Marie, I spoke to someone who knew the premises, was happy to answer my questions, and even honored my request the following day when, i assume, they received a cancellation. I couldn't be happier right now.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (309)
Pittsburgh, PA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2010

We stayed in a balcony room overlooking the courtyard over the Halloween weekend. While the streets were packed, we didn't hear a peep. The staff was very friendly and helpful- giving suggestions on anything we needed. Nothing about this placed wow'ed me- but everything was just right. Room size was good, everything was reasonably clean and well kept....and you just could not beat the location. Seriously, it was perfect. Just off Burbon in the middle of the action.
We spent most of our time on Decatur and in the Marigny (across Esplanade from french quarter). We like the far end of Decatur closer to Esplanade and LOVED, LOVE, LOVED the fabulous live music that we found in every corner of the Marigny. Be sure to tip these musicians as many/most places down charge a cover and the band only gets tips. Fabulous!
There are many great places to eat. We like the lower price gems, like Coop's the best. Although we did find a restuarant new to us on Chartres. Very good food, upscale casual atmosphere. Shocker- it's a Ralph Brennan's establishment.
I would recommend staying at the Hotel St. Marie for folks who are looking for a great location, clean room, friendly staff and not much else. Oh and they have a cute courtyard for relaxing.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Lafayette, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2010

I only live two hours away from New Orleans and have been going there for weekends my whole life. I have stayed in many of the hotels in the quarter (pricey and not so much) and have found the Hotel St. Marie to be my favorite. We first stayed here in April of '08 with some friends from California. One of them had never been to New Orleans so we rented a room with a balcony on Toulouse street. It was just perfect from the balcony, you could see Bourbon St. but we were just far enough away for it not to be to loud.
It was my husbands birthday this past week so I decided that we should go to the N.O. for the night. I looked at all kind of hotels and decided on this one because it had the best price and offered parking, $25.00 a night. (If you have ever been to New Orleans you should know that you can't find a parking space to save you life, so try and find a hotel that offers parking. And don't expect it to be included because it never is, there is always an extra fee.) We arrived at the hotel, the valet took our car and I checked in. Now at the Hotel St. Marie you get real keys not a card. So if you are good at losing your key this is not the place for you. We got a standard room with a king size bed. It was right off a little courtyard that was shared with two other rooms. The room was a nice size and had a lovely exposed brick wall. I always like things like this because they show off the old style of New Orleans. Since we had been walking around New Orleans all day we decided to rest a little before going out to eat. My husband turned on the tv and it didn't work so we called the front desk and had a new tv within 15 minutes. Another thing, if you want to last greatest in entertainment systems this is not for you. The tv's that are offered are regular, not flat screens.
Later that evening we walked about five blocks and caught a street car on Canal that took up to the Garden District so we could eat. The weather was freezing but it was really nice in the city. We got back to the hotel later on that night and went to bed. Now here is my only complaint - there wasn't enough pillows. You only get one and they are pretty flat. So if you are like me request more and they will bring them right to you.
I absolute love this hotel. It is right in the middle of the Quarter and a block away from Bourbon. I would diffently recommend this hotel to anyone. Just remember New Orleans is very old and some hotels here sometimes don't offer the latest and greatest. But you shouldn't be coming here for that, it should be about good food, culture, and great people.

New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2010

If you want to be close to Bourbon Street but not ON Bourbon Street, this hotel is a pretty good bet. We had a street side room with a balcony. We could definitely hear the noise, but somehow managed to sleep through it anyway. The guests outside our door were the noisiest part. But what can you do about that.
The hotel was very nice and clean. The people at reception were very friendly and helpful. Internet was supposed to be available in the rooms, but it was not working in ours. So they moved us to a new room as soon as one became available. The rooms were clean and nice. Our first room did smell a big moldy though. Maybe you should avoid room 409.
Breakfast was the bare minimum. The croisants weren't so much croisants as white bread in a crescent shape. But the coffee was good. And the oranges were ok. They also had pastries and juice.
There was a nice looking pool, but we were there during a record cold snap, so we didn't partake.
There are grocery stores near by, and Walgreens several blocks away. Everything in the French Quarter is walkable.

Hattiesburg, Mississippi
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2010

Stayed here in August. We were in town in part for Six String Music Festival, a parrothead festival. This hotel is under the same umbrella with the Prince Conti hotel across the street. We stayed there December 2008. This hotel is nice. Historic building as are most down in the Quarter. Front desk service depended on who was working: friendly or not so much. The lobby is beautiful. The courtyard is nice but a couple of mornings we couldn't sit out there because smokers were polluting the air of the entire space with smoke. Because the courtyards are narrow and the building tall, it was trapped in there. There was a little pool but we didn't use it. You could take your breakfast tray out there if you wanted. Complimentary breakfast is o.k for light start to the day. No problems with the elevator. Our room was clean. No noise problems. No ghosts. We did not use housekeeping. Easy access if you are in the Quarter and need to go to the bathroom. Great location. Easy access for cab drivers bringing you from the airport. No photos this time!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2010

We stayed at the HSM two different three-night stints in October on both sides of a trip to Baton Rouge. Weather was nearly perfect. Shorts and flipflops. A block north of Bourbon on Toulouse, this is one of the better locations in the French Quarter. We stayed in a deluxe King on the Dauphine St. side, no balcony. Room was basic, but clean, good water pressure, and bed/pillows were comfortable. Seemed very quiet except for a couple of typical incidents (shouting, emergency sirens, garbage trucks) out on Dauphine or Toulouse St. that may occur in any city. The price of rooms is also very reasonable this time of year. The courtyard/pool area is usually shaded and seems to be more of a smoking area than anything else. Complimentary continental breakfast was very basic, but coffee, juice, water and a croissant is generally more than we eat at home. We focused more on having very nice lunches (Muriel's, Commanders Palace, Mr. B's, Bacco's, etc.), and enjoyed a little lighter/faster fare in the evening (bar appetizers, sandwiches, burgers, beignets, breakfasts, etc). We came to NOLA for the cocktails, the jazz, and "us" time. Could not be in a better location....right off Bourbon. Jackson Square was closeby. Rouses (only decent supermarket in Quarter was nearby). Irvin Mayfields, Preservation Hall, Fritzels very nearby. Frenchmans St. jazz clubs were within walking distance, and also a very short cab ride. Cabs were available on Bourbon during the day and buzzing down Toulouse or Dauphine at all times. Only needed hotel staff to find a cab once and that worked out smoothly. Overall, the HSM staff was mostly invisible (my preference) except when you needed something and they seemed most helpful.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Monterey, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2010

Location was my main goal. Got it and then some. I went with friends for our annual New Years in N'awlins trip. After the sensory overload of the French Quarter, I was grateful for the ease of accessing the peace of my room. A few steps and I was there. We stayed in rooms 410 & 412 with a large adjoining balcony overlooking Toulouse Street down to Bourbon toward the river. Perfect. The older woman at the desk was a sourpuss from start to finish, but the others we met easily negated her grump. The rooms were tidy, but not spotless. I looked behind a bureau for a plug and there were old corn chip bags behind it. The rooms were large and felt like New Orleans. Small TV? Who cares. Big TV's make big commercials. The balcony had a pile of cigarette butts that were never cleaned. Most of the noise emanated from some industrial machinery from the Olivier House across the street which made an enormous vacuuming sound constantly; 20 seconds on, 10 seconds off. Continental breakfast? Forget it. Leathery croissants and Costco danishes. Bad coffee and canned juice. However, no expectations came tumbling down as Continental means "cheap and crappy." The elevator is not the St. Francis, San Francisco. Big deal. It was perfectly adequate. The hotel overall worked perfectly for our needs and will be the future destination for our ever-growing New Years group. Now if we can only do something about those gawd-awful football fans ...

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel St. Marie? Share your experiences!