“Great Hotel--Perfect Honeymoon” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel St. Marie

You added Hotel St. Marie to your Saves list
Hotel St. Marie
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   827 Toulouse Street, New Orleans, LA 70112 (French Quarter)   |
Offers & Announcements
Weekday Rates from $87
Ranked #60 of 155 Hotels in New Orleans
Chicago
“Great Hotel--Perfect Honeymoon”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2009

My husband and I went to New Orleans for our Honeymoon. When we arrived at the hotel, they upgraded us to a suite right in front of the pool. The room was fantastic and oozing with new world conveniences nestled in old-world charm. The staff was terrific and the location (spitting distance to Bourbon St) was awesome. After paying for a wedding, we had a limited budget for our Honeymoon and the Hotel St. Marie really came through for us. We are already planning our 1 year and 5 year anniversaries at this hotel. You will not be disappointed.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (361)
Indianapolis
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2009

Me and a friend decided to head down to NOLA for New Years. I looked for hours and hours and made calls to different hotels looking for the best place in the best location. I talked to the lady from the Hotel St. Marie and she sounded sincere with everything she was telling me so we booked it.

When we got there we were 8 hours to early. After getting parked (which is kinda expensive) and putting the luggage in check we still had almost 8 hours until we could check in. We walked around for a little while then came back and they had hurried to get our room clean and we were able to get in about 6 hours early. That was nice.

The hotel itself is very clean. Very nice place. Very comfortable beds. We had a balcony that was right over the entrance. It was a shared balcony with two other rooms. You could see Bourban from the balcony. Bourban is about a 20 second walk from the front door by the way. The noise isnt a problem at all though.

The staff was very good. They were around at all times to make sure we had the best stay possible.

I will certainly go back to the Hotel St Marie!!!!!!!!

• Stayed December 2008, traveled with friends
Goteed1
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2009

I booked this hotel mostly based on the rave reviews here and I guess I set my expectations a tad too high. This is a nice okay hotel if you can get a good rate. I have been to New orleans many times, so I really didn't need front desk help. Check in was easy and polite, they gave me the room I asked for, a balcony room on the Dauphine Street side.

The courtyard is sweet but small and the pool is really too small to swim in. I don't think the courtyard would be someplace you could hang out for any length of time.

The room was ok. Charm in New Orleans actually means peeling paint, old plumbing and outdated technology. The room could use an update, but nothing that was really that bad. (Old small TV, There is an about an inch gap from the bottom of the door to the floor, 1 lamp didn't work, some peeling paint) The balcony was great however, and made up for the shortcomings in the room. Also, I'm real picky about bathrooms and this one passed the test. It has been updated and had plenty of counterspace.

Maid service was A-1 and never bothered me when I hung out the Do Not Disturb sign, sometimes til noon, but the room was also spotless when I got back to the hotel in the evenings.

ALSO, if you are a light sleeper or like to go to bed early, there will be a noise issue if you are staying on the Dauphine side. It never bothered me at all, because when I went to bed it was late and I was sufficiently liquored up, so that noise wouldn't bother me, but on weekends especially, lots of noisy traffic with radios blaring and in the morning, the famous Street cleaners make a lot of noise.

One big plus for me was the free-wifi throughout the hotel. Worked like a charm and usually costs $10-$15 a day at most chain hotels.

Also, the free breakfast is something you shouldn't bother about. It's coffee and Costco danish. Literally thats it and it not really presented in a way you'd want to eat it. The little breakfast room is pretty grim altogether and this is not really a big plus for staying here.

Overall, it was a pleasant stay with polite staff and an okay room, but I wouldn't feel driven to stay here again and would recommend it only if you can get a really good rate.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled solo
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2009

I stayed at the Hotel St. Marie for a long weekend get-away with a friend (who found the hotel). The hotel is fabulously located on Toulouse Street, one block up from Bourbon Street in the heart of the French Quarter. The hotel is a wee old and its one elevator can be a bit slow. Our first room was on the second floor facing Toulouse and the minute we entered the room we could hear the noise from Bourbon Street. After we requested a quieter room, the front desk immediately moved us to a room on the 5th floor that faced a quieter side street. The window in the room was very small, but we were not in the room that much during the day anyway.

Our room's decor was dated, to say the least, but served its purpose. The beds were comfortable and the room was clean. The hotel offers free continental breakfast, but we never took advantage of it. The hotel has a lovely courtyard with lush plants and a small outdoor pool. I believe that there is free wi-fi in the courtyard as well. The hotel's employees were extremely friendly and helpful. They arranged for cabs for us and were quite helpful with directions.

I would definitely recommend the Hotel St. Marie for it's location alone.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2009

I have to say I was a little disapointed. When we arrived at the hotel, we were looking forward to getting a bite to eat and have a drink in the resturant. When we asked where it was in the hotel, they told us it was closed. This was not mentioned to us when we made the reseveration in Feb. There was a vending machine with drinks only. The courtyard was nice and peaceful,although the pool was a little green. One day they didn't clean our room until almost 4 o'clock. By this time of the day we were ready to take a rest in the room. Instead we chose to leave the room until she was done. Then we had to call for a box of tissue and toilet paper for our room. Lastly when asking for directions or good places to hear music, the person at the front desk could't give us an answer.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
Richmond VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2009

Stayed there for the second time this month. The staff is great, very helpful. The rooms are nice and some have great balconies with a view to Bourbon street. The location also can't be beat. Right in the middle of the quarter with easy walking distance to everything. I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
santa monica, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2009

We were there for the first weekend of Jazz Fest. Location, location, location. You are right in the center of the French Quarter and can walk anywhere. We have stayed at the hotel many times. The staff is great, they go out of their way to be helpful. Looking foward to next year.
M&M