“Nice stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel St. Marie

You added Hotel St. Marie to your Saves list
Hotel St. Marie
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   827 Toulouse Street, New Orleans, LA 70112 (French Quarter)   |
Offers & Announcements
Weekday Rates from $109
Ranked #65 of 155 Hotels in New Orleans
Pensacola, Florida, United States
“Nice stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2012

I have made several trips to New Orleans staying at many hotels around the CBD and French Quarter. The outside decor was exactly what one would expect a NOLA French Quarter to look like -- the gas lamps and wrought iron. It was beautiful. Given one of my favorite adult beverages is the Hand Grenade, it was quite convenient for me given the Tropical Isle is one block away on Bourbon Street. It is an older hotel that was remodeled (I would imagine) therefore, the noise reduction might not be as good as it could be. I would not say it was at an annoyingly disturbing level, but one could definitely hear the louder talkers. I've stayed at some other hotels in The Quarter which seemed to have climate control issues...as I was here in winter, I can't be sure if the a/c is an issue or not. This is something that becomes important in the hot months. I am a smoker and I think it would be nice to have a more convenient smoking area for those on the 5th floor rather than going all the way back down to the lobby to either smoke outside the front door or in their courtyard -- if for no other reason than safety, assuring every customer has convenience, and more courteous to the other guests. While I was going alone and was quiet, others that went (late at night after a night out) weren't so quiet. I think adding a patio on each floor might be more advantageous. There is one elevator for the establishment which is extremely slow. Not much of an issue except perhaps late at night when there are louder guests waiting for the elevator to either smoke or go back out. The gentleman that parked the car was wonderful. He was courteous, friendly and upbeat with both encounters. He seemed genuinely happy to assist his customers. Parking fee was typical for hotels...I think the fees are pricey for guests of the hotel, but it is better to have your car parked in a secure area as car-jackings, break-ins, vandalism, and stealing is quite high in NOLA. The daytime hotel woman who checked me in (I wish I got her name) was extremely friendly and efficient. Also, she was very professional in her appearance without looking like the corporate-type one might see at the Hilton or Harrah's. I personally like the Quarter for the down-home feel one gets, however, I've been to some hotels where the down-home was taken to the point of being at home. The night time desk person wasn't as friendly. I needed to have a key re-made as my friend was holding onto my key and could not be found. That wasn't an issue, however the next morning (before the other woman started her shift), she was not so friendly when I needed her to re-code the "old" key as I grabbed the wrong one. She seemed to be scolding me and made it seem I was putting her out to have the key re-coded. She wasn't as nicely presentable as the other woman who assisted me during the daytime hours.

The hotel lobby and hallways were immaculate. The rooms are simple, but large and look nice. I was absolutely shocked at the price for this hotel. I stayed on a Thursday night at the beginning of Mardi Gras season (parade starting that Saturday) and paid about $73.00 for the night (including fees and taxes). I've paid mid -$100/night at lesser quality hotels further from the action. The price did jump up quite a bit beginning on Friday, but not at an alarming rate. Overall, I loved this hotel and this will be the first one I check on each time I go to New Orleans, which is several times a year.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (341)
CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2012

We come to New Orleans each year and always stayed at the St Marie, but find each visit the service is becoming less and less. They use to offer breakfast, that they no longer do. I think next year we will try something new; most of their problems is due to be understaffed. Yet after walking all day in your room has not been cleaned by 2:30, well that's just unexceptable, then you leave and return at 5 and it's still not done- well you loss my business right there.

Danbury, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2012

We returned home last Friday from a one week vacation in New Orleans. We stayed at the Hotel St. Marie on Toulouse Street. We just wanted to take a moment to express some positives about those who worked in the Vacherie Dining Room, Bar and Breakfast area. These areas were our Oasis at the start and end of each of our days. The people responsible for responding to our requests…Jonathan, Dario, Tom, Rich, Victoria, DeShondra, Benitta and Khan…were polite, enthusiastic, professional, kind and attentive...We looked forward to the time spent with them no matter how short as their company was pleasant as well as reponsive.
Chuck & Renee

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2012

The hotel is a lovely old building that is said to be 'haunted'. It is located in the heart of the French Quarter. Your auto will be parked in a secure area for an extra fee.

Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2012

Stayed here in November for a girls weekend. The location of this hotel is perfect! 1 block from Bourbon St but not loud at all. The rooms are a little dated, but that didn't bother us at all. Hotel restaurant and bar were great. Staff was very helpful and friendly. I'd definitely stay here again.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2012

We stayed here for 2 nights in early January 2012. The location can't be beaten - 1 block from Burbon Street. The decor is superb, true 1800's style. The staff are very friendly and helpfull. The only issue is it takes a very long time for the Valet to fetch your car as there seems to be just one person working!

The prices obviously vary greatly as I've seen comments that average room rates are over $140 per night. This was not our case as it was around $80 per night. You might need to check rates when booking.

All in all a very pleasant stay and would highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Room with balcony