“A wonderful, historic hotel in the heart of the French Quarter” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Prince Conti Hotel

You added Prince Conti Hotel to your Saves list
Prince Conti Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   830 Conti Street, New Orleans, LA 70112 (French Quarter)   |
Announcement
New Bedding In All Rooms
Ranked #47 of 155 Hotels in New Orleans
Charleston, South Carolina
“A wonderful, historic hotel in the heart of the French Quarter”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2010

The historic Prince Conti Hotel, located just off Bourbon Street in the heart of the French Quarter, turned out to be one of the loveliest hotels I've had the pleasure of staying in. It had atmosphere, charm, and a perfect location - and it didn't cost us a fortune, either.

My mother and I were scheduled to be in New Orleans for a business conference held at the Marriott on Canal Street, but we didn't want to spend an arm and a leg on a hotel room we could probably find in any city. We wanted a taste of the city, something more intimate, something with personality. When we found the Prince Conti Hotel, it seemed like a perfect fit - and it was. The rooms were very well-priced, and its location was perfect - just a couple of blocks from the site of our conference, and an ideal launch point for walking through the Vieux Carre.

Our room was more than adequate - it was comfortable and welcoming after a long day of sightseeing, a little like coming home. The water pressure in the shower was actually surprisingly good, considering the age of the hotel. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful; when we arrived at the Prince Conti at 11:00 PM on a Tuesday night, hungry and weary after a thirteen-hour drive, they eagerly recommended a restaurant just a block down the street and gave us coupons for a 10% discount. The restuarant, Oceana, turned out to be so good that we ate there twice.

As I mentioned above, the location of the hotel is fantastic. We had no problems walking anywhere we wanted in the city. Jackson Square and Cafe du Monde were only ten minutes of walking away, and the beautiful St. Louis #1 Cemetery was only three small blocks straight down the street. And, of course, the hotel is just off of Bourbon Street - a perfect locale for anyone who wants to go out and party without getting lost on their way back to their hotel room.

And yes, the close proximity to the boisterous Bourbon Street did mean that we heard some street noise. At about 4:30 AM during our first night at the hotel, we were woken by a furious argument between two girls on the street below us - yet somehow, it just made us howl with laughter rather than simmer with fury. It was part of the atmosphere, part of the spirit of New Orleans, and I wouldn't trade those whoops and hollers from the balconies lining Bourbon for any silent, frigid chain hotel in the world. Still, I leave a warning for those travelers who just can't abide the "disruptions" - yes, Bourbon is rowdy, and while most of that noise stays in the street, you'll still hear whistles and the thump of a bass. While we ended up loving the mayhem, your mileage may vary.

For those of us who can't leave home without our laptops, the Prince Conti had excellent wireless internet service, which was complementary and easy to access. There were no hoops to jump through or passwords to enter; instead, the Conti's internet was unlocked and had multiple access points via routers fixed to the ceilings on each floor. Very easy to use, and very convenient.

I also want to mention that for fellow smokers, the Prince Conti Hotel had an excellent designated smoking area. The hotel itself is located off a little enclosed alleyway, where there were ashtrays and a bench just across from the lobby (and in clear sight of hotel staff) for those of us with the bad nicotine habit. It was safe, secluded, and sheltered from the elements. Perfection.

New Orleans is a magical city. It has a spirit and character that is utterly unique unto itself, that cannot be found in any other place in America. When I first traveled to New Orleans eight years ago, I fell in love with it instantly. It reminded me strongly of my own beloved hometown of Charleston, with its historic architecture and muggy climate, but while Charleston is a marsh heron, elegant and demure, New Orleans is a peacock, unfurling its brightly-colored feathers with a mischievous wink.

I love New Orleans with all my heart and soul, and I cannot wait to come back. And when I do come back, I know exactly where to rest my head after a long day marching down the old, narrow streets: I'm coming back to the Prince Conti Hotel, a surprising shot of tranquility in the middle of a wild, wonderful landscape.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (231)
Gainesville
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2010

We stayed here for Jazzfest 2010 and loved the location, as well as the space of the suite we reserved. The housekeeping services were very professional and the rooms were kept very clean during our stay. However, one major drawback was the age of the mattresses. You could feel the springs on the surface of each bed, which was definitely not something we wanted to deal with after being on our feet all day and most of the night. I didn't complain (which I should have) but when you reserve a room, be sure to ask for a room with newer mattresses. Your back will thank you later.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
Conroe, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2010

6 couples booked rooms and everything from checkin to checkout was a nighmare. Rooms were not clean. Front desk staff were not friendly at all. And worst of all 3 of the 6 cars they parked were damaged.

We offered to help the valet back the cars in and he would not accept. Then proceded to back one car right into the other as we watched. Only comment was "don't worry we have insurance for these things"

Well you would think after all that the next morning would be a little different. The morning valet opened one door right into the back quarter panel of another car. Damaging both of them.

Now the worst part. Mr. Michael Valentino (Mgr) who was not even there now says none of it happeded and offered $250 to one person who had $850 in damage. Said his deductible was $1000 and we would have to deal with him. Needless to say our insurance will be dealing with him.

Oh yeah... after the evening incident I tried to change hotels and they would not refund my money.

Sorry for the rant but folks need to know this IS NOT A GOOD HOTEL AT ALL...

Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends
Hinton, West Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2010

very good location, clean & fair price! the valet was disappointed when I didn't give tip? the reason, the hotel got 25.00 + 3.00 tax per night for parking = 56.00..

Lagos, Nigeria
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2010

We traveled to NOLA for our daughter's graduation and spent 3 nights at the Prince Conti. We booked a Jr. Suite. The room was at the end of a hallway and it was very quiet. The room was well appointed and an outstanding value. The hotel staff was very courteous and helpful. The location was great.

Birmingham, Alabama
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2010

My boyfriend and I stayed at Prince Conti for three nights in May and really enjoyed our stay. Even though it is a block down from the craziness of Bourbon Street, it was a really quiet and relaxing place to stay. The staff was super nice and the room was really great. I had read reviews that mentioned the smallness of the bathrooms and while ours was kinda small it wasn't anything to keep us from returning to Prince Conti the next time we go to NOLA. Not only was it a great place to put our heads down at the end of our busy and crazy nights, the price made it even greater! We'll definitely being visiting Prince Conti again.

Jackson, Mississippi
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2010

We got this hotel room at the last minute-- just one night-- as a place to crash after a night on the town. The room was decent, bare necessities, clean enough. The staff wasn't too helpful or overly accomidating-- we asked to keep our car parked for 30 minutes past check out time and they refused. The location is great-- I supposed I'd stay here again-- but it's not my #1 choice.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with friends

Been to Prince Conti Hotel? Share your experiences!