“A Hidden Gem” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Prince Conti Hotel

Save Saved
You added Prince Conti Hotel to your Saves list
Prince Conti Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   830 Conti Street, New Orleans, LA 70112 (French Quarter)   |
Announcement
New Bedding In All Rooms
Ranked #40 of 153 Hotels in New Orleans
new orleans
“A Hidden Gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2012

Great little property with lots of charm. From the front desk staff to housekeeping, everyone made us feel right at home. One lady at the front desk (can't remember her name) helped us plan two days of fun in the french quarter with tours and dinner. She was a delight.

The hotel is definitely boutique and a little bit older, but the rooms are quaint and clean. Breakfast at the Cafe Conti was delicious. Valet charges were a bit steep, but average for the french quarter. I will definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Its pronounced Conti (long i)
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (217)
Egypt
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2012

This was a really interesting hotel to stay at. It has so much charm and the location is great. We were 3 people in one room and it was large enough to fit us without problems.

The only thing that bothered us (which would be the reason we would not stay here again) was the cleanliness of the room. Apart from the fact that everything in the room felt really really ancient, so did the bed cover which we were grossed out from because it felt like it hadn't been washed at all, let alone changed in the past 20 years. Similarly, the blanket underneath had a huge burn hole from a cigarette. If the housekeeping cleaners saw that when making the bed, why didn't they change it? Honestly, the cleanliness overall was suspect.

The towels were really old and tatty, thin from overuse and mostly very very worn out. These things are easy for a hotel to change and they make a huge difference for the guest's comfort. Would not stay at this hotel again, sadly, despite it's charm and good location just because of the discomfort with the cleanliness of the room.

Luckily we were in a room on the third floor around the corner from the elevator where we didn't hear any of the noise from the street.

Room Tip: We went during New Year's when the hotel's rates were so highly jacked up compared to their...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Ottawa, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2012

This is a very basic hotel, just steps to Bourbon Street. It is reasonably clean, certainly not spotless as in other reviews. We stayed from January 11-14 before a cruise and on the 21st after the cruise.

BEWARE OF SOME OF THE ROOMS. The first room we were offered had no windows. I don't even know if that is legal. It was across from the lobby area, and down a hall. Very dungeon like. The second room we were offered only had a skylight. Are they kidding? Again, I don't know if it is legal for fire regulations.

We marched down to the front desk and asked for a room with windows, and Ava (a very pleasant lady) sent us to room 355. It was a regular room, but very damp and the carpet was almost wet. The heat was turned on Thursday and Friday and it barely dried out. We left the door open in our room most of the time. There is no air circulation in this hotel. There were threadbare towels and the other linens and bedspreads had seen better days. One of the beds was loose to the headboard and rattled even if you just put your hand on it.

We had requested a room for when we got back on the 21st, I insisted on a window. Well, there was a crabby front desk clerk this time. She said ok. We we got back on the 21st the same crabby clerk was there. I asked about a room with a window again, and she sort of smirked at me. I didn't know what was in store for us.

We got room 232, right by the elevators. It had windows alright. Three large ones, all facing Conti Street. The hotel was supposedly sold out, so we couldn't get another room. The din started about 7pm. Sirens, shouting, music, arguing, yelling and so on til 5am. I am sure the desk clerk put us in one of the worst rooms in the hotel since I demanded not to be in a dungeon.

The only reason I stayed there as my friend had stayed there before and liked the location. I think she was given a regular room at that time.

It is too much of a crap shoot to stay here. It needs new linens and some updating. I still can't get over the fact that they have rooms that would break fire regulations in most cities.

Be aware of the pitfalls of this hotel and find out more information if you book a room here. There are lots of other places to stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a window on a quiet part of the hotel!
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Santa Fe, New Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2012

This hotel is another one of those historic New Orleans gems. The nature of the French Quarter is crowded, so don't go expecting a sprawling brand new piece of modern architecture. Instead, if you embrace the rich history and authentic detail that imbue this hotel with a museum-like grace and character, you will really, really enjoy yourself.

Location is the key for this hotel. A block from Bourbon Street. A few blocks to Canal. Three blocks from Rampart. I won't even attempt to tell travelers where to find exceptional food or the infamous New Orleans night life. You'd have to stay in your hotel room closet to avoid it. Unless you have a specific destination in mind, I recommend just walking out to the street, picking a direction, and walking until you find something interesting. You won't have to go far.

Valet parking is available, but I'd recommend using one of several pay-to-park lots within a block or two. Take your things out of your vehicle, pay much less. Also, the wifi signal in our room was weak and occasionally caused aborted uploads. At times, this was frustrating. My only other issue would be with the card keys for the rooms. They were unfamiliar to me, lacking a magnetic stripe so they couldn't be demagnatized by cell phones, etc. But during my stay, they constantly became non-functional. As a result, my friend and I had to get well over 20 keys issued to us over the course of just a few days.

The staff, however, was friendly, attentive, and professional. They made accommodations for my early check-in and were quick to facilitate a last-minute addition of another friend to my reservation on the second to last day of my stay. The manager named Cindy was classy, smart and in control. It was a pleasure to stay here and it was a pleasure for me to let her know I'd be writing them a favorable review.

For the optimal French Quarter visit, I prefer staying in a building that has been there for many decades, a building like this one, with an historic elegance. With this hotel, you don't sacrifice amenities to get that experience. Definitely recommended.

Room Tip: If you don't want to pay for valet parking, try any of the lots within a few blocks of the hotel...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
San Antonio, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2012

This hotel is truly near to everything. Nothing is more than either a few steps or a few blocks. I was not prepared for how close everything is. We walked a short way and were right on Bourbon St or near the St. Louis Cemetary. The hotel is small, quaint but well kept, and they valet. Only one elevator to go up. The staff were very friendly and what we asked them they went above and beyond. I had a friend who got sick and they were so nice as to offer their microwave for us to heat up some soup or help us find a place to get soup. Tons of brochures and guides in the lobby for us to get. Our room was adequate as we did not spend much time in it. It was pretty roomy and had strong smell of smoke which we did not like but got used to. It helped they had a great ceiling fan so we aired it out. The room was really clean and well kept. Nice flat screen T.V. Good hangers and a very nice, clean, and working bathroom. Our beds were not very comfortable and felt springy but still able to sleep. The double beds are small and if you are taller than 5'9 you will have problems. Also one of the walls is paper thin and you can sometimes hear people talking. One morning we were awoken by people getting in at 4 a.m in the room next to us. A noisy argument broke out and I promptly called management who quickly took care of the situation. But overall pretty quiet. They have a nice breakfast restaurant whose meals two people can share because of the generous portions. Our room was not haunted however the first night a curious thing happened to me and a friend. Our blankets were messed with at night. Overall if you want to be in French Quarter then stay here. It's clean and the staff are friendly. I do not recommend children under the age of 14 staying here only because so close to Bourbon St and did not see any.

Room Tip: Get the second floor to the back. It's away from the street noise. If you're taller than 5...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Ann Arbor, Michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2012

Mostly friendly staff, nice, clean room, good location if your goal is to be close to Bourbon St., but...we were wakened every night and into the wee hours by lots of noise from the street below, some happy, some not-so-happy (people), garbage trucks, early morning traffic...perhaps if our room was on the other side of the hotel? Lobby computer was a joke when we tried to print boarding passes, ending up in failure, checking in from our laptop in the room. Oh, no desk in the room

Room Tip: Make sure you're not on the east side on Conti Street
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2012

Very quiet (Room 346), clean accomodations and great location just off Bourbon Stree at the Northeast of the French Quarter. Good value and would stay there again

Room Tip: Rooms on the third floor were very quiet
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family

Been to Prince Conti Hotel? Share your experiences!