“good and bad” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #24 of 154 Hotels in New Orleans
Baltimore
“good and bad”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2007

I recently stayed at this hotel for two nights. It being my first time in New Orleans, and wanting to splurge a bit, I reserved a split level suite. I arrived at the hotel early, around 10AM, and my room was already available, which was great. The front desk clerk was so nice and check in was quick and pleasant. The suite, though, was pretty depressing. It was just too old and worn...the carpet was absolutely disgusting and thread bare in places. I went back to the front desk and explained I was not happy with the room. (I travel extensively and have stayed in so many hotels and inns the world over. In no way was the room I was given remotely worth the $450 or so per night.) I asked to be downgraded to a basic double room with french doors overlooking the pool. This room was less than half the price and I was much happier with it. The carpet was still the old and dirty looking, but the rest of the room was pleasant and the view of the pool deck was lovely. The room was very clean and the beds were comfy. Maid service was excellent. Plenty of fresh towels. It was good value for the money and a quiet, serene spot right in the middle of the French Quarter. The most outstanding quality of this hotel is the employees. Each and every person I came into contact with was the nicest they could be. This is one of the reasons I ended up giving this hotel four stars. That along with the location and the fabulous Sunday brunch. Although I will now be traveling to New Orleans quite often, as my daughter will be attending college there for the next four years, I probably won't stay here again as I like the extra room a suite provides. I am willing to pay more for this, but I expect the accomodation to be worth the money. On the other hand, the basic pool view room was alot less expensive and is a great value for the location, the wonderful pool area, and the nicest empolyees i have ever come across in a hotel. One final thought, they do not have the flat screen tv's the website advertises. I asked about this and was told a few of the rooms have them, but most do not.

• Liked — the poeple
  • Disliked — filty old carpet....unable to provide a nice suite
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (793)
  • Turkish first
Kerens,Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2007

Other than the fire alarm going off at 330 AM on Saturday (UGH!), our entire expereince the Royal Sonesta was terrific. Our room was on the 4th floor, facing the pool. I loved how we could go right out the balcony door and down to the pool bar.

The room itself was clean and comfortable- great king bed. Good size bathrrom- nothing fancy but pleasant.

Check-in was incredibly smooth despite how busy they were. And check out was even better since they kept our bags while we went out for lunch, then brought the bags down to the car.

I would like to give special kudos to parking. Yes, I know $30 valet seems crazy but that is the way it is in big cities. We stayed at the Monteleone last year and, as much as I love that hotel, the RS has them beat hands down on the ease of dropping off and picking up the car. Very easy, very pleasant, very organized.

Richmond, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2007

From the moment we checked into this hotel, we were treated like special guests. We arrived earlier than check-in - around 11:30 a.m. Our rooms were ready. We asked to have our rooms close to each other and it was no problem. The only complaint I had I about the room itself was that the shower was only so-so. But the location was excellent.

Another review mentioned Malcolm and he is wonderful. This is also one of the few hotels that I saw cabs lined up at - so if you wanted to travel out of the quarter you very easily could.

On the second day, a group of young highschoolers moved onto our hall and proceeded to spend the day and night (at least when we were there) running around, screaming and slamming doors. We spoke to Darin at the front desk and asked if we could move to possibly a balcony room (fingers were crossed!!!) We were moved into a parlor suite with a balcony on the 3rd floor overlooking Bourbon St! A parlor suite does not have a bed, but it has a pull out sofa bed, and then they come in and make for you with a real mattress and turn down service. There is also a wet bar and tile throughout. They are twice as big as the regular rooms. It was amazing!!!!

We called down to roomservice for some plastic cups as you can't take glass or cans on the balconies, and they brought us up a sleeve free of charge! And anytime we called housekeeping they came right away.

Check out was a breeze. They also checked our baggage for us while we wandered around the quarter, waiting for our flight. We were handed into our cab on Sunday evening with the same friendly smiles that greeted us on Thursday, bidding us to come visit them again!

I will definitely stay at the Royal Sonesta again. I would recommend it to anyone. I will say this - hotel staff are not psychic. If you feel you need something fixed, be specific. Ask for what you want. Chances are you will get it. I found that especially at the Royal Sonesta that they will do what they can to make things right.

Definitely ask Malcolm if you have any questions about the city. The concierge desk is amazingly helpful and patient too. I just can't say enough nice things!!!!

• Liked — Location, amazing staff, balconies
  • Disliked — can't think of a thing!
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Evanston, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2007

I stayed at the Royal Sonesta for two nights for a Bachelorette Party. On Saturday afternoon I mistakenly left my wedding rings on the bathroom counter after applying sunscreen. Two hours later, when I returned from lunch, my wedding band was there but my diamond engagement ring was gone. The cleaning staff had just, five minutes prior to our return, finished cleaning our room. We spoke with hotel security who came up and took notes and eventually we called the police. The worst part was that the hotel staff seemed not to think this was an incident worth their time. One of the assistant managers even yelled at us to return to our room while we waited for the police in the hallway. The hotel manager on duty when we checked out characterized it as an accident and not a theft. How is it possible that an accident occurred with just one of two rings? We even had them take the piping under the sink apart to look for the ring with no luck. When I came to this site to write this review, I notice a similar one from 2005. I wish I had read that review before I went on my trip. My experience seemed exactly the same. I got the feeling the hotel was just hoping I would stop calling or would leave town and forget that this occurred. They also did not apologize, even for yelling at us and treating us like we were insane to be accusing the cleaning staff. You tell me, when the hotel can tell us only our key cards and the maid's had accessed our room, who else were we to blame/accuse? I will never stay at a Sonesta hotel again. My experience was so bad. If you stay here, use the safe in the room and don't forget to take all of your valuables with you. If you have a problem expect the hotel staff to be rude, accusatory, and incompetent.

• Stayed September 2007, traveled with friends
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2007

My experience with Royal Sonesta is of a quality four-star hotel right in the middle of the action on Barboun Street. My "Regular" room had the level of comfort I would expect from a four-star accommodation, with comfortable bed, quality linens, clean bathroom, good (though not great) shower, safebox and minibar. My room overlooked an inner courtyard so the Barboun Street noice did not reach me at all. The pool, on a nice inner terrace, afforded good relax during wake hours, though it got very crowded during certain peak hours. Service at the reception desk was fast and efficient. Concierge provided good advices. Covered parking was extra at $30 per day. All in all, good value for money if looking for a quality accommodation in the French Quarter. I would definitely return to this hotel.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Hamilton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2007

We stayed at the Royal Sonesta on Bourbon street. This was our first trip to New Orleans...what an experience...anybody who is hesitating to go and visit..don't heistate and go and have a good time...the hotel is very nice, the pool-very refreshing from the heat, the staff are nice, the location is the best,walking distance to everything. The rooms were clean, and the lobby was huge. I would defintely stay at this hotel again, and recommend it to anyone.....

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — nothing to dislike
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2007

We stayed at the Royal Sonesta for four nights in July. We had chosen New Orleans for our anniversary and decided on the Royal Sonesta based on reviews from TripAdvisor. The hotel was beautiful. Lots of fountains, marble and beautiful flowers and plants. The hotel staff were all very friendly and helpful during our stay. The room was very nice and the bed was extremely comfortable. We enjoyed the pool and the poolside food & drink service. The hotel is right in the heart of the French Quarter and walking everywhere was easy.

• Liked — pool
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Royal Sonesta Hotel New Orleans? Share your experiences!