“Treated Like Royalty!!!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #22 of 153 Hotels in New Orleans
Richmond, VA
“Treated Like Royalty!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2007

From the moment we checked into this hotel, we were treated like special guests. We arrived earlier than check-in - around 11:30 a.m. Our rooms were ready. We asked to have our rooms close to each other and it was no problem. The only complaint I had I about the room itself was that the shower was only so-so. But the location was excellent.

Another review mentioned Malcolm and he is wonderful. This is also one of the few hotels that I saw cabs lined up at - so if you wanted to travel out of the quarter you very easily could.

On the second day, a group of young highschoolers moved onto our hall and proceeded to spend the day and night (at least when we were there) running around, screaming and slamming doors. We spoke to Darin at the front desk and asked if we could move to possibly a balcony room (fingers were crossed!!!) We were moved into a parlor suite with a balcony on the 3rd floor overlooking Bourbon St! A parlor suite does not have a bed, but it has a pull out sofa bed, and then they come in and make for you with a real mattress and turn down service. There is also a wet bar and tile throughout. They are twice as big as the regular rooms. It was amazing!!!!

We called down to roomservice for some plastic cups as you can't take glass or cans on the balconies, and they brought us up a sleeve free of charge! And anytime we called housekeeping they came right away.

Check out was a breeze. They also checked our baggage for us while we wandered around the quarter, waiting for our flight. We were handed into our cab on Sunday evening with the same friendly smiles that greeted us on Thursday, bidding us to come visit them again!

I will definitely stay at the Royal Sonesta again. I would recommend it to anyone. I will say this - hotel staff are not psychic. If you feel you need something fixed, be specific. Ask for what you want. Chances are you will get it. I found that especially at the Royal Sonesta that they will do what they can to make things right.

Definitely ask Malcolm if you have any questions about the city. The concierge desk is amazingly helpful and patient too. I just can't say enough nice things!!!!

• Liked — Location, amazing staff, balconies
  • Disliked — can't think of a thing!
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (747)
  • Turkish first
Evanston, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2007

I stayed at the Royal Sonesta for two nights for a Bachelorette Party. On Saturday afternoon I mistakenly left my wedding rings on the bathroom counter after applying sunscreen. Two hours later, when I returned from lunch, my wedding band was there but my diamond engagement ring was gone. The cleaning staff had just, five minutes prior to our return, finished cleaning our room. We spoke with hotel security who came up and took notes and eventually we called the police. The worst part was that the hotel staff seemed not to think this was an incident worth their time. One of the assistant managers even yelled at us to return to our room while we waited for the police in the hallway. The hotel manager on duty when we checked out characterized it as an accident and not a theft. How is it possible that an accident occurred with just one of two rings? We even had them take the piping under the sink apart to look for the ring with no luck. When I came to this site to write this review, I notice a similar one from 2005. I wish I had read that review before I went on my trip. My experience seemed exactly the same. I got the feeling the hotel was just hoping I would stop calling or would leave town and forget that this occurred. They also did not apologize, even for yelling at us and treating us like we were insane to be accusing the cleaning staff. You tell me, when the hotel can tell us only our key cards and the maid's had accessed our room, who else were we to blame/accuse? I will never stay at a Sonesta hotel again. My experience was so bad. If you stay here, use the safe in the room and don't forget to take all of your valuables with you. If you have a problem expect the hotel staff to be rude, accusatory, and incompetent.

• Stayed September 2007, traveled with friends
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2007

My experience with Royal Sonesta is of a quality four-star hotel right in the middle of the action on Barboun Street. My "Regular" room had the level of comfort I would expect from a four-star accommodation, with comfortable bed, quality linens, clean bathroom, good (though not great) shower, safebox and minibar. My room overlooked an inner courtyard so the Barboun Street noice did not reach me at all. The pool, on a nice inner terrace, afforded good relax during wake hours, though it got very crowded during certain peak hours. Service at the reception desk was fast and efficient. Concierge provided good advices. Covered parking was extra at $30 per day. All in all, good value for money if looking for a quality accommodation in the French Quarter. I would definitely return to this hotel.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Hamilton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2007

We stayed at the Royal Sonesta on Bourbon street. This was our first trip to New Orleans...what an experience...anybody who is hesitating to go and visit..don't heistate and go and have a good time...the hotel is very nice, the pool-very refreshing from the heat, the staff are nice, the location is the best,walking distance to everything. The rooms were clean, and the lobby was huge. I would defintely stay at this hotel again, and recommend it to anyone.....

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — nothing to dislike
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2007

We stayed at the Royal Sonesta for four nights in July. We had chosen New Orleans for our anniversary and decided on the Royal Sonesta based on reviews from TripAdvisor. The hotel was beautiful. Lots of fountains, marble and beautiful flowers and plants. The hotel staff were all very friendly and helpful during our stay. The room was very nice and the bed was extremely comfortable. We enjoyed the pool and the poolside food & drink service. The hotel is right in the heart of the French Quarter and walking everywhere was easy.

• Liked — pool
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
Weymouth, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2007

The Royal Sonesta is really a great little hotel right on Bourbon Street. I was surprised at how nice the hotel actually was. The rooms were nice and clean, the balconies were a blast, and the courtyards were well appointed. With orange tree's, a coi pond, and lush tropical plants. There was a large group of us and the hotel was very accommodating. The Door men and Bell men were great. They always had a smile and a joke. Very helpful as well. The AC worked great, and the bed was perfect. We slept very comfortably. We didn't have much of a view, but I'm really not there for my room or a view. I'm there to experience New Orleans, even if it is for just a few days.
The only down sides were: One night we got a cot delivered to our room. We didn't order a cot. When we called down to say we didn't order a cot they said "it happens a lot. Someone probably got rooms numbers messed up." We thought they would come and take it away, but we were wrong. No Big deal. It was just a pain because the room is not that big. So when I woke up the next morning I smashed my ankle on it on the way by. Oh well. The other down side is the pool. Now the pool itself is great. Especially when it's extremely hot and humid out. It is a welcome relief. But it was very cloudy. To the point where you couldn't see the bottom in the shallow end.
Two very minor things. I would recommend this hotel and will stay there again.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
Port O'Connor, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2007

This was a great 3 night trip to the Quarter. First time at the Royal Sonesta. My wife and I loved the location, walking distance to about anything you want to see. The room was excellent. Service was excellent. Pool was excellent. My only recommendation is that you request a room that doesn't overlook Bourbon Street because the party goes until pretty late. We were on Bienville Street and didn't have a problem. Parking is $30 per night with unlimited "In and out". That's a bargain in the Quarter and the parking is in the lower level of the property. Can't say enough about the Royal Sonesta.

• Liked — Location, Room, Staff
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Royal Sonesta Hotel New Orleans? Share your experiences!