“Royal Treatment” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #21 of 154 Hotels in New Orleans
New York
“Royal Treatment”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2007

We stayed at the Royal Sonesta for four nights in July. We had chosen New Orleans for our anniversary and decided on the Royal Sonesta based on reviews from TripAdvisor. The hotel was beautiful. Lots of fountains, marble and beautiful flowers and plants. The hotel staff were all very friendly and helpful during our stay. The room was very nice and the bed was extremely comfortable. We enjoyed the pool and the poolside food & drink service. The hotel is right in the heart of the French Quarter and walking everywhere was easy.

• Liked — pool
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (758)
  • Turkish first
Weymouth, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2007

The Royal Sonesta is really a great little hotel right on Bourbon Street. I was surprised at how nice the hotel actually was. The rooms were nice and clean, the balconies were a blast, and the courtyards were well appointed. With orange tree's, a coi pond, and lush tropical plants. There was a large group of us and the hotel was very accommodating. The Door men and Bell men were great. They always had a smile and a joke. Very helpful as well. The AC worked great, and the bed was perfect. We slept very comfortably. We didn't have much of a view, but I'm really not there for my room or a view. I'm there to experience New Orleans, even if it is for just a few days.
The only down sides were: One night we got a cot delivered to our room. We didn't order a cot. When we called down to say we didn't order a cot they said "it happens a lot. Someone probably got rooms numbers messed up." We thought they would come and take it away, but we were wrong. No Big deal. It was just a pain because the room is not that big. So when I woke up the next morning I smashed my ankle on it on the way by. Oh well. The other down side is the pool. Now the pool itself is great. Especially when it's extremely hot and humid out. It is a welcome relief. But it was very cloudy. To the point where you couldn't see the bottom in the shallow end.
Two very minor things. I would recommend this hotel and will stay there again.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Port O'Connor, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2007

This was a great 3 night trip to the Quarter. First time at the Royal Sonesta. My wife and I loved the location, walking distance to about anything you want to see. The room was excellent. Service was excellent. Pool was excellent. My only recommendation is that you request a room that doesn't overlook Bourbon Street because the party goes until pretty late. We were on Bienville Street and didn't have a problem. Parking is $30 per night with unlimited "In and out". That's a bargain in the Quarter and the parking is in the lower level of the property. Can't say enough about the Royal Sonesta.

• Liked — Location, Room, Staff
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Washington, DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2007

The Royal Sonesta is a beautiful property with plenty of Old New Orleans architecture and decoration. The dining room is richly and beautifully appointed. The service (at the front desk, in the restaurants,concierge and the doorman) was warm and helpful. Only ate breakfast but it was tasty. There was a jazz lounge where folks were drinking and seemed to have a nice time. The rooms are of average size but comfortable. It was a pretty luxe experience for the $99 price per night for a room with 2 double beds (we were there for a wedding so the rate may have been reduced due to that). UNFORTUNATELY I don' t think I will ever stay here again because of the noise factor. Perhaps its just been too long since I stayed on Bourbon Street but between the noise from the bars on the street and other hotel guests slamming doors and shouting in the halls, it didn't make for a particularly peaceful stay in the evenings. That is a shame because I really enjoyed the hotel itself. Too bad it isn't off "the strip..." its much too good for such common nuisances...

• Liked — Service and decor in resaurant and reception area
  • Disliked — Location ... Bourbon St was too noisy.
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
baltimore, maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2007

beautiful hotel on bourbon street. request a room overlooking the pool because it will be quiet. if you get a room on the bourbon street side, you might not get much sleep depending on how much you had to drink that night. get an early morning bloody mary as an eye opener in the lobby or try the coffee drinks. no problems with the rooms at all.

• Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
New York CIty
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2007

Stay here for 8 nights and for the most part it was very enjoyable except for a few monir things that added up. For about 3-4 days the hot water was only luke warm, one day I went out and took off the privacy sign and by 3pm the room was not made up, had to call housekeeping and when I returned at 4pm, it still was not done, had to put in an angry second call to have the room done ASAP. Also one monring I had the privacy sign on and housekeeping still knocked on my door, lucky I was not sleeping.
The location cannot be beat and service/staff is still very good.

• Liked — Service and proximity to Bourbon Street
  • Disliked — Housekeeping
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2007

My fiance' and I just returned for a wonderful 4 night stay at Royal Sonesta. We both really enjoyed the hotel. The location can't be beat.

We had a king bed room that overlooked Bienville Ave. But we could see bit of Bourbon from our window. You could also hear the bands from the bar on the corner, but it didn't bother us at all. The room was kind of small, but we are spoiled after our stay at Chateau Sonesta during Mardi Gras 2006 where we had a huge room overlooking Canal.

There was lots of drawer and closet space. Love the drawers in the bathroom. Also loved that they give you a bottle of bubble bath, however the bathtub isn't really deep enough to enjoy that.

The room safe was very big. I was able to put my laptop in it as well as several other things. You program it to open with a code that you come up with.

The website states that rooms have a flat panel TV. I notice comments from other reviewers that they had one. Our room did not have one. Not a big deal, but I don't think they should advertise that all rooms have them if they don't.

The courtyard area is beautiful. I kind of wish we had gotten one of the rooms with the french doors that open up to the pool area, or the balcony above. I went to the pool on the Saturday that we were there and it was packed. Many towels left on chairs and I wasn't sure if they were actually in use or if the chairs had been vacated for hours and no one ever picked the towels up. During the week though, the pool was a lot less crowded and very relaxing.

We didn't utilize any of the restaurants in the hotel, so can't comment on them.

The staff was very friendly. Check-in was a breeze. And we checked out through the tv and you can even set it up to have them email you the receipt.

We'll definitely stay here again.

• Liked — The courtyard/pool
  • Disliked — room size
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Royal Sonesta Hotel New Orleans? Share your experiences!