“Royal Sonesta is wonderful; New Orleans is not” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
25% Off Winter Escape
Ranked #24 of 154 Hotels in New Orleans
A TripAdvisor Member
“Royal Sonesta is wonderful; New Orleans is not”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2005

The Royal Sonesta is a lovely hotel with fine service, clean rooms, and good location, even though it is located on Bourbon Street. I particularly enjoyed breakfasts in the hotel restaurant where service was the best I have had in ages.
The New Orleans French Quarter, on the other hand, has become disgracefully dirty. Trash, the stench, and filth is all around the hotel. Talented street musicians still perform, great food is still served all over, and shopping is fun, but how much longer will it last if the city doesn't clean up its act? The areas on Decatur Street were cleaner, so if you are staying at this hotel, go toward the river and then toward Jackson Square for a better part of the area.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (794)
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2005

This was my second trip to New Orleans and second time staying at Royal Sonesta. I will definitely continue to book Royal Sonesta every year I visit New Orleans. Why?

Clean, upscale feeling, great amenities - Rooms of your choice, Balcony, On Bourbon, Off Bourbon, Suites, Standard all are reasonably priced, comfortable and clean. Beds & pillows are comfortable. Hotel is Private and quiet (provided you dont stay in a room overlooking Bourbon St.) Massage and bar services poolside.
Nice Lobby, Great Bar and Restaurant.
The staff at Royal Sonesta are very hospitable. I visited the Cigar Bar and was served by one of the most friendly bartenders. (She makes the best bloody mary you'll ever have) She talked with me for hours and recommended 15+ places/sites/venues to experience. I also chatted with the cashier in the Gift Shop who also recommended some local scenes to check out.
Room Service & the Restaurant in the lobby were great!

This hotel is safe. I can vouch for that as I had left the hotel and later learned I left my hotel room door wide open for about 1/2 hour upon my return my room was free of any disruption. Secured lobby and security asks for room key upon entering the lobby in the evening hours.

I am 38 years old and recommend this hotel to families, singles, old/young.

I dont have one bad thing to say about the hotel. The location is Excellent. My opinion, best located hotel in the French Quarters.

Stayed July 2005
San Francisco
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2005

This was my first trip to New Orleans, and I'd stay here again in a heartbeat! The hotel is attractive and well-maintained, and the pool is lovely. We walked around in the hot sun exploring the city and looked forward each day to relaxing at the pool in the late afternoon with a swim and cocktails- perfect! The room was very clean and well decorated, but the walls were a bit thin- I tried to sleep in late and heard lots of activity in the hallway. We got a free newspaper delivered at our door each morning, and there was a fancy TV system in the room with cable, internet, and video games.
The concierge staff were fantastic (especially Russell)- very friendly and helpful. They booked tours for us and gave us great restaurant referrals. This hotel is located on Bourbon Street which can be pretty sleazy and stinky, but the location is central and we heard no street noise in our inner room. The outer rooms facing Bourbon Street might be noisy because the bars stay open way past 2:00 am. I read another review where someone had jewelry stolen, but that's due to carelessness on their part- the hotel provided an in-room safe, and experienced travellers lock valuables up in their suitcases.

• Stayed August 2005
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2005

It was my first trip to NOLA and I was thrilled to stay in a hotel right on Bourbon Street! Upon checking in, my friends and i were greeted by the doorman. The staff were super friendly and very helpful!! Talk about southern hospitality. We ate at Desire's twice - the red beans and rice was great and oysters are to die for. What I liked about my stay is that we had peace and quiet in our room (not overlooking Bourbon) and the hotel lobby had a nice and classy feel. The rooms were nice - we got 2 connecting rooms and they were both lovely and comfortable. The bathroom was spacious and I liked the extra drawers in the bathroom. We didn't encounter the water pressure issue I read on the other reviews. Housekeeping also kept our room clean when we wanted them to. However, the walls are thin but it didnt really bother us since we were always out. The pool was a nice plus. We also like the security in the lobby at night - since it was our annual girls' trip, we felt really secure. As soon as we step out of our hotel, it was a party!!! We will definitely stay at Royal Sonesta when we go back next year!!!

UK
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2005

Stayed there with my family Aug 1 to 4 2005. Good points - its on Bourbon Street. Bad points - its on Bourbon Street + everything else. Asked for a quiet room months ahead, we were given a room next to the elevator: noisy, lots of convention goers yelling up and down the corridor at 3 a.m. Parking is difficult - they have a garage (about $30/ day !!) but its small and spaces are tight. My wife had to go to ER whilst we were there, they didn't even know where the nearest hospital was ! Constant feeling that they wanted our cash but didn't want to provide anything like service in return. Avoid.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2005

I had not been to New Orleans in years and was skeptical of taking my 7 year old son and staying on Bourbon Street. But staying at the Royal Sonesta turned out to be the highlight of our trip. We were there from July 27 though July 30. With two steps you are out of the craziness of Bourbon Street and you enter a refuge that was excellent in every way.

I found the responsiveness of the staff exceptional and especially appreciated the security in the lobby of the hotel in the evenings. We were stopped just inside the door and asked for our room key before being allowed to enter. I can't address the responsiveness of problem resolution since I didn't encounter any during our 3 night stay. Our room was clean and very comfortable. We were on the 6th floor and it was very quiet both from internal and external noise. We only ate in one of the restuarants, Desire, but the food was excellent with fair service. The pool area is great and well maintained.

I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone traveling to New Orleans that wants to be in the "thick of things" but not all the time. It is central to everything and surrounded by the best restaurants in NOL. It is where I plan on staying during any future trips.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2005

The location is convenient. However, drunken college students making rude comments should not be allowed to loiter in the lobby of a four star hotel.
The most serious problem was with housekeeping and management. A jewelry pouch left in our room disappeared when the room was cleaned. Even though we contacted the hotel within hours of the incident, repeated calls to "lost and found" or hotel management were useless. We were given the run-around and had to conclude that no serious attempt had been made to investigate the incident.
Worse yet, we received no apology. Despite repeated promises, our calls were not returned and we got the clear impression that hotel management was just trying to sweep this episode under the rug and keep it quiet until we got tired of calling.
If you choose to stay at this pretentious hotel, watch your valuables in the room and don't expect any help if something goes wrong.

• Stayed July 2005

Been to Royal Sonesta Hotel New Orleans? Share your experiences!