“horible service” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #21 of 153 Hotels in New Orleans
A TripAdvisor Member
“horible service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2005

service is non-exsistent. room was dirty. prescription pills littered carpets. pubic hair on bath tiles. food in drawers. no housekeeping. soiled comforter was put outside of door only to remain there for 2 days. was directed to "krystal" for coffee at 5:55 because no one had set up the complimentary coffee. poor management and poor housekeeping. not worth the money and will never stay there again. overall horrible experience and would not recommend this one star dumpster to the bums who litter its doorsteps.

• Stayed June 2005, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (742)
  • Turkish first
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2005

Having stayed at hotels throughout South Louisiana, it was a real treat to see a hotel so well maintained!
Everything in the room worked, the sheets & towels were clean, and the bed was extremely comfortable. Housekeeping was more than a few housekeepers. The managers were walking the halls inspecting their work. On our last day, we saw both a painter and electrician out working on the grounds (this may seem simple to some of you, but to those of us from here, this is a real treat!) To top it off, there was a postage-reply card in each room that asked you to report anything that wasn't satisfactory. The card went directly to the owner of the hotel - a nice touch!
The hotel's location is ideal. There are 3 exits - one to Bourbon, one to Bienville and one to Conti. It doesn't get any better! Inside the hotel, there are 3 restaurants or bars (that we could count anyway). Two, situated directly on Bourbon, are nice places to grab a drink, relax, and then return to the festivities. (and yes, you can bill your drinks to your room).
Two recommendations: (1) ask for a courtyard room, and (2) add $30 per day for parking. This is standard in New Orleans.
Thanks Royal Sonesta! We had a great stay!

• Stayed June 2005
Fresno, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2005

I have stayed at most of the hotels in the French Quarter and I must say this is one of the nicest if not the best. The hotel has a good location especially to some of the better restaurants of the French Quarter. The lobby is nice but what makes it better is the great fresh flower arrangements they have. They lobby bar is a good place to sit and listen to some live music. There is a lush courtyard off the lobby which is a great place for a morning coffee. The pool area is better than most hotels in the area. It's very spacious and has a bar. If you want to lay out, this is the best location as most of the other pools are in courtyards that only allow you to sit in the sun for short periods of time as the walls of the building soon block it out. Service is very good and so are the rooms. It is a bit more expensive than the rest of the hotels in the French Quarter but if you have the extra money, you should stay here.

Stayed May 2005
St. Clair Shores, MI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2005

We stayed here over Memorial Day weekend and had a wonderful time. The location was very convenient to everything we wanted to do. There was a small group of us and this will be the only hotel we plan on returning to in NO on our future trips.

The room was very comfortable. The more we travel, the more we like a safe in the room, so this was appreciated. There was an over abundance of drawer space in the room, in the closet , and in the bathroom. We liked that the hangers could be taken on and off the rod in the closet and that there were more than enough, even though I might have overpacked. I know that none of us mean to, but sometimes it just happens. I still can't understand why a decent hotel worries about losing their hangers, but I'm glad the Royal Sonesta worries more about their guests. The bathrooms were fine. They were supplied with a hair dryer that wasn't connected to the wall, which made me very happy.

The absolute best thing about the room is the robes. I've stayed in many hotels, both in the States and in Europe, that have robes in the rooms, but this is the first time a robe has fit me. It was wonderful. I was so happy that someone at this hotel had thought that maybe not everyone is a petite size 6. For that alone, I'll come back.

The best part of the hotel grounds, for me, is the pool. I love pools and this one was perfect for a weekend in NO. I did laps first thing in the morning and after sightseeing all day, I'd jump in the pool to get refreshed before getting ready for the evening. The pool bar was great. It always feels a bit decadent laying around a pool and sipping on a drink. One nice feature is that the pool had towels handy so no one had to bring their bathroom towels to the pool. I always hate that.

If you can afford it, pay the extra and get a room that opens onto the pool.

The poor woman helping me with my reservation did a wonderful job. It seemed that every other week I had another question about the rates or something, and she was very patient with me and explained everything until I understood.

The concierge desk always was staffed with someone who was able to answer questions and help with reservations. Even Sunday night, someone was there to help us. The doormen wear white helmets with a gold spike. This helps on Saturday night when you need a cab and and the doorman takes off and dives into the crowd on Bourbon St. to get a cab on the side street. You might lose sight of the doorman, but you can always keep your eyes on that helmet and spike. I don't know if someone thought about that, but it turns out to be a great idea.

One of the Sonesta's bars is on Bourbon St. They keep the air conditioning on and some of the doors open. So it's a great place to sit and have a drink and watch the people parade on Bourbon St.

Besides the main door on Bourbon St., they also have a side door on Conti and that really saves some wear and tear on your feet. However, the side door is locked after a certain time. At night, they also check ID. I like the idea that people on Bourbon St. can't just wander into the hotel in the night.

I think we'll be going back before Christmas, and if we do we'll definitly be staying here

Have a great time.

• Stayed May 2005
Fredonia,NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2005

I checked into the Royal Sonesta on the Sun.of Memorial Day weekend for three nights.The clerk offered an upgrade to a patio pool room for $30, we accepted the offer. The room was great, we had a nice view of the court yard. That night at 12 midnight the fun started. Drunken college students outside of our room, swearing and screaming for 15 minutes. I called the desk and spoke with the night auditor. She send up security, by time he arrived the drunks had gone to their rooms. Back to bed until 4am, When more drunk kids repeated the events again. Sercurity was dispatched again, no kids around by time the guard arrived. Needless to say, I got zero sleep that night. I spoke with the asst.manager in the morning, who expressed her regrets for the ruckus. I was comped 1 nights upgrade cost. I loved the hotel, the other 2 nights were great. However, when a dozen drunken kids go up in the elevator with bottles of beer in their hands, maybe security would be a little bit more proactive. Great hotel, very nice rooms, location can't be beat, Sercurity, not what was advertised.

• Stayed May 2005
Albuquerque, NM
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2005

Stayed at the Royal Sonesta for 2 nights, May 26 and 27. Was in New Orleans for a conference. After the first 3 nights at Le Pavillon (look at my other review) my husband and 14 year old wanted to be in the middle of the action. Boy, could of not picked a better hotel. We original asked for a
Bourbon view, but the balconies were more expensive. When I checked in I was given 3 options for the same price. 1) Balcony with bed facing Conti, 2)window facing Bourbon or 3)a parlor suite without a bed but they would accomadate us with the sofabed but with a balcony on Bourbon. We decided on the balcony facing Bourbon. Best decision we ever made. The hotel itself was great, restaurants were good. The pool was adequate and great cool down after walking all day. The room was larger then a regular room and included a mini kitchen with a sink and the rest of the room had beautiful furniture. The hotel put a full size mattress on the sofa bed and my son had a roll away. The parlor even had nice terry cloth robes. But at sundown we were on the balcony. I bought my son some beads and he enjoyed throwing them to the children. Mind you as it got later it got more risque, so off to bed my son went. The experience was great. Being our first trip to NOLA we absolutely had a great time.

Stayed May 2005
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2005

***Winner: TripAdvisor's Best User Review with Photos Contest, week of May 19th, 2005***

My husband and I stayed four nights at the Royal Sonesta while he attended a corporate conference. We’ve been to New Orleans half a dozen times for both business and pleasure trips (including our honeymoon) but this was our first time at the Royal Sonesta.

We loved this hotel; it was definitely the classiest place we’ve stayed in town. The Bourbon Street location is both good and bad. Good because you are in the middle of the tourist area but it can get a little annoying fighting the Bourbon Street crowds to get back to your room at night. The side entrance on Conti Street is very convenient but it is locked in the evening for security reasons.

We were originally booked into a standard room but were able to upgrade to a balcony room on the courtyard for only $50 extra per night. Be aware that most balcony rooms have a shared balcony that wraps around the interior of the courtyard on the 3rd and 4th levels and do not have patio furniture. If you want to sit directly outside your room request a room that opens up to the poolside area or the larger shared balcony on the second level. I would guess that these rooms are more expensive.

Other balcony rooms on the exterior of the hotel overlook Bourbon Street or one of the side streets that means they are facing the noisy crowds. These are also shared balconies. It seemed to us that the younger crowd enjoyed these rooms for the party atmosphere. Our only complaint was that on Saturday night groups of people staying in these rooms were carrying on loud parties into the wee morning hours, when they entered the hallways they woke everyone and I’m sure the noise carried into the rooms adjacent and across the hall I believe the hotel should be a stricter on monitoring these party groups for the comfort of the rest of the guests.

The room itself was very nice with a pillowtop king bed, desk area with two chairs which my husband needed since he was working for much of the trip. There was also a comfy armchair that was easy to pull up to the open French doors to enjoy the courtyard. The room needed a small table beside the chair however. The closet was large enough with a mini bar area, an iron and ironing board and drawer space. The TV armoire held the minibar fridge and the safe but was a little two large for the space so that you could not walk past with the doors open.

The bathroom was nice with marble and granite, good counter space plus two large drawers, one containing a hairdryer (which is so much nicer than those cheap wall mounted hairdryers that many hotels have). The only thing lacking were bathrobes, which we usually find in hotels of this quality.

Our room was on the 3rd floor that was also the floor where the pool is located so it was an easy walk out our balcony door to the pool and pool bar. The pool is not large and the deck surrounding it has plenty of loungers but little shade. The only umbrellas were at the poolside tables that were on a lower deck area and around the bar. The bar only serves drinks but they have a system where you can order room service and have it delivered to you at the pool. We took advantage of this for lunch most days and enjoyed eating outside.

There is a small coffee bar in the lobby where you can get croissants, coffee, juice and fruit in the mornings. You can take this back to your room or sit out on the lovely shady courtyard surrounding a pretty fountain with flowering plants and trees.

Except for the coffee bar, room service and one night of convention food we did not dine at the hotel but Begue’s restaurant looked very nice. The lobby bar was a nice place for a late night drink since they have low-key jazz entertainment after 9 p.m.

Check in and check out were a breeze but we were there during a somewhat slower time of year (mid May after Jazz Fest). We were pleased that we were able to get into our room upon our early arrival at about 11:30 a.m. and we were able to delay check out from the normal time of 12 noon until 1:30 p.m. since we had a late afternoon flight home.

The hotel staff was great. We never spoke to anyone that wasn’t polite or friendly. I would not hesitate to recommend the Royal Sonesta to anyone who wants to stay at a classy hotel in a great French Quarter location.

• Stayed May 2005, traveled on business

Been to Royal Sonesta Hotel New Orleans? Share your experiences!