“Perfect Family Hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #21 of 153 Hotels in New Orleans
Middleton WI
“Perfect Family Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2009

My family - wife and 10 and 11 year old daughters recently spent a week at the Royal Sonesta from June 14-21. This is a great hotel in the heart of the French Quarter. The staff is exceptional especially Russell and Milton the concierges. The hotel is in walking distance to everything you would want to do in the Quarter. Our room was located on the patio/pool level so it was removed from the action on Bourbon Street. But Bourbon Street is a one of a kind destination in itself. Our room was spacious and very clean. We also enjoyed the hotel's restaurants including Desire and Begues. Also, the nightly jazz at Irvin Mayfield's near the hotel lobby was a highlight of every evening in New Orleans. The staff there was great especially Michael. Everyone we met in New Orleans was friendly and hospitable. The city is a great place to visit on a family vacation. And the Royal Sonesta is the place to begin your trip to New Orleans.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (743)
  • Turkish first
Albuquerque, NM USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2009

300 Bourbon St. says it all. A food & beverage trip for my wife and I. We were there for 4 days and enjoyed the Royal Sonesta very much. Had an interior room (3153) facing the patio. Pool and bar a few steps away. The room was small but enough for our needs. Clean, comfy pillows and bed. Free wireless internet (with free membership to Sonesta "club"). Quiet interior compared to the Bourbon St balcony experience.

Warm feelings from the staff. Lovely interior. Sophisticated Jazz Bar. Relaxed pool bar. Another bar great for people watching on Bourbon St. Did not eat at either restaurant but the menu looked good.

Have a beer next door at the Old Absinthe House. Great conversation over cocktails. All the French Quarter restaurants are within easy walking distance. We ate in the "off hours", early in the AM & early in the eve. Never a wait anywhere.

When you are tired of all the New Orleans cooking and want a steak, then try the Star Steak & Lobster House next to the House of Blues at 237 Decatur St. Very low key. Nothing fancy. Slow service with perfectly cooked meat. Saw a couple next to us eating the lobster for two and they looked very happy!

ATown
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2009

Stayed at the Royal Sonesta in March for a business meeting. My leather coat was taken from my locked guest room. I reported the loss to Housekeeping immediately, and in writing to managment within 24 hours. Two weeks went by with no response from the hotel so I called them. I spoke to an assistant in the Executive office who promised to look into the claim. Two more weeks went by. So, I wrote to the Boston corporate office asking for help. I was then treated to a patronizing phone call by the New Orleans hotel Director of Operations. I was told a thorough investigation had been conducted, including the interrogation of staff, but my coat was not found. Yes, he used the word interrogation. I was told the hotel could not take responsibility for the coat. I was offered a free night's stay at the hotel.

Why would anyone want to return to a place where your property is taken, you are treated with disdain and the management admittedly bullies the staff.

Someone in that hotel has key card access and thinks it OK to keep things that don't belong to them.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
Meadville, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2009

We have stayed at several hotels in the French Quarter and the Royal Sonesta has been the best so far. Great location on Bourbon. All staff was very friendly and always ready to help. Hotel property is beautiful. Great pool with bar. No complaints except wish we could have stayed longer. Bed was extra comfortable. Must eat at Yo Mama's just around the corner for great burgers.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
Madison, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2009

We stayed at the Royal Sonesta during the last weekend of Jazz Fest. Really, it is surprising that this place does not have a higher Trip Advisor rating. Our room was lovely, beautifully decorated and spotlessly clean. Ditto for the bathroom. We had a quiet room facing the courtyard and pool. The pool is excellent - a good size for swimming or lounging and surrounded by sweet-smelling flowers. Elegant lobby and jazz bar (which just got mentioned in Forbes this month as showcasing some of the best talent in the city).
The concierge helped us make dinner reservations before our arrival and his restaurant suggestions were right on - we loved Bayona and Muriel's. The Royal Sonesta is in a perfect spot for strolling around the Quarter and within easy walking distance of fantastic dining. All hotel staff were courteous and helpful, and the front desk sent up a complimentary bottle of champagne when we mentioned we were celebrating a birthday.
Our room had a very comfortable bed and pillows. The only minor criticism we had was that the in-room air conditioner was somewhat loud. Other reviewers have commented that you are likely to hear late-night partiers returning to their rooms and this is quite true...you are right on Bourbon Street, after all. But this, too, was minor for us and wouldn't stop us from coming back.

Las Vegas, Nevada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2009

We stayed here for Jazz Festa 2009. Great location. Great rooms and very comfortable beds! Sleeping was a pleasure there. I loved the soft beds and feather pillows. Lots of fluff and softness. In room safes, mini bar, flat screen TV and room service until 10pm (pizza available until 2am). Great pool area and lounge in the hotel. The lounge offers famous jazz and blues artist live nightly.

The location was great. Walking distance to everything. Cabs readily available at all times (doorman working 24/7). Chic lobby and friendly staff. I would stay again because it was a pretty and comfortable hotel.

Laurel, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2009

My husband and I stayed at the Royal Sonesta during the first Jazz Fest weekend in April. I'd stayed here before, and the hotel was just as appealing as it was the first time I stayed. I'd chosen an interior balcony room, with views of, and access to, the beautiful courtyard and pool; with Bourbon Street as loud as it is, I wouldn't want a room overlooking (and within hearing) of all that noise.

The bed was very comfortable, and the room in good condition, with a few minor complaints. The carpeting was tired and in need of refreshing, and the bathroom fixtures could use some sprucing up as well. I'm also a big fan of having robes, and would have appreciated one here. I also would have liked it if some of my neighbors didn't feel the need to carry on full-voice conversations as they rolled in from the bars at 4:30 a.m. -- but that's an issue with my fellow guests (and the nature of the beast, if you are staying on one of the least inhibited streets in America), and not the hotel itself.

As far as hotel amenities go, during our visit, we had dinner at the on-site Desire Oyster Bar following our relatively late arrival -- mostly great food, but I should have known better than to order raw oysters on one of the last days of the season (they were a bit larger than I like). We also used the coffee shop (with Starbucks coffee) in the lobby every day. We also used the $9.99/day WiFi service, which was convenient ... but someday it will be free.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Royal Sonesta Hotel New Orleans? Share your experiences!