“Beautiful ” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #33 of 156 Hotels in New Orleans
Broken Arrow, Oklahoma
“Beautiful ”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2014

This was a very nice hotel. By far the friendliest staff I have ever encountered. The doormen where kind and cheerful. The front desk was knowledgeable about the area. The coffee shop down stairs was nice also. The room was small but comfy. My only negative would be the stiff towels and absent in room coffee pot.

Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Colleen M, Manager at Royal Sonesta Hotel New Orleans, responded to this review, August 28, 2014
Mrs. McGuire,
Thank you for your delightful comments regarding our friendly staff and comfortable accommodations. Please know that we are listening to feedback like yours and will have in-room coffee makers coming next year with the completion of our hotel-wide renovation. Thank you for choosing the Royal Sonesta, and we look forward to welcoming you back soon to the city of New Orleans.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (936)
  • Turkish first
Richmond, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2014

I would have been happy with this room if I had paid $100 less for it. My husband and I took a quick weekend trip to New Orleans and chose this room based on recommends and photos. But our room was nothing like the room pictured (on Expedia) and our experience wasn't like some of these other reviews. This is a Holiday Inn quality room. It's fine. Bed, TV, crappy shower. Nothing bad happened. No problems. It was everything you'd expect from an average chain, but not what we expected and paid more for. We thought we were getting a balcony, but didn't. It looks like there are nice rooms in this hotel...we just didn't get to stay in one.

That said, the location was great if you want to be on Bourbon Street (and we did).

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Colleen M, Manager at Royal Sonesta Hotel New Orleans, responded to this review, August 29, 2014
First, we want to thank you for your feedback. While we wish you had a better experience, it is feedback like this that we learn from and use to improve. Thank you for taking the time to bring these observations to our attention. Please know that an exciting hotel-wide renovation is planned for next year and will touch each room from top to bottom. With that said we are certain your next visit will be one that your expectations are exceeded.
Daphne, Alabama
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2014

Everything was great this time except for some kind of miscommunication between Irvin Mayfields Jazz Lounge and the front desk? I purchased a living social voucher that included a credit to the jazz lounge, and a VIP table. It said to call the extension and make reservations, otherwise seating could not be guaranteed. I had called from home a few days prior and was told that we did not need reservations. Anyway, I called down from the room a couple times and no one answered. I finally walked downstairs and had to hunt someone down to ask. The cocktail waitress that I asked said that they did not take reservations. I showed her the voucher and asked why it said to make a reservation if they did not take reservations. She got flustered and tried to find her manager, but could not find her, so she just left me standing there. Eventually another girl came up and I asked her if she was the manager. She said no, but she used to host so she could help me. I explained the situation and she said that she would reserve one of the vip tables for us. We ended up getting done with dinner fairly quickly, so we came back earlier than expected and I could not find the girl who had helped me. I spoke with who I think was the manager, and she didn't even listen to me when I told her we had reserved a vip table and showed her the voucher, she just sat us at a little table in the middle of the room. Eventually the girl who had reserved my table spotted me, and moved us to our reserved table. It was just bizarre that no one except her seemed to know or care what was going on. Also strange that I was told originally that they did not take reservations, when there were clearly "reserved" signs on a few of the tables. Other than that fiasco, the stay was lovely!

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with Sonesta

Stacey, we are glad that our Living Social deal gave you the opportunity to stay at the Royal Sonesta New Orleans. We are very sorry for the miscommunication regarding our reservation process in the Jazz Playhouse, and we have brought your issue to the attention of our management team who are working with the staff to ensure this policy is clearer in the future. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay, and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Seabrook, Texas, Usa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2014

This was our fifth stay at the Royal Sonesta New Orleans, and, as usual, it fulfilled our expectations of a lovely place. The only problem was that our room was humid, but considering the outside temp and the age of the hotel, it was an expected problem.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Sonesta

Susan, we greatly appreciate your taking the time to let us know of your lovely stay. We are excited to share with you that a hotel-wide renovation is planned for 2015 and will address each room from top to bottom, including the A/C. We truly value your patronage, and look forward to serving you again.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2014

Overall, my stay was pretty good and I would definitely recommend the hotel to everyone. The Manager on Duty (Mr Long if I did not remember it wrong) on Friday was very helpful.

However, the phone answering skill of the concierge should be improved. I called the hotel on Wednesday trying to have my sister's name added on to my reservation so she could check in for me. Instead of being transferred to the front desk, I was transferred to reservation central. They added 1 more adult to my reservation and somehow changed my rate plan from Travel Pass Reward to Best Available. I had to call back the day after to have that changed. I then called the hotel trying to see how much an authorization for incidentals would be; I got transferred again and instead of to the front desk, straight to reservation. I hung up and called the hotel back again. I asked the lady who answered the phone if this is the front desk; she finally transferred me to where I should have been transferred from the first time before my rate plan got changed. Another note is before transferring me, she never never informed me she would transferred me. After I told her what I wanted, she transferred. She did not even say "My pleasure to connect you", "Let me connect you to who and who to help you", etc. All i know was right after I finished telling her what I want, I got transferred to Reservation. That was when I was not the guest at the hotel yet. That gave me a doubt how my stay would turn out after this kind of service ...

• Stayed August 2014
We are pleased to hear that your stay was an enjoyable one and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future. I apologize for any inconvenience experienced during your reservation process. Please be assured, it was an isolated incident and not indicative of the manner in which we intend to operate our facility.
Bozeman, Montana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2014

This hotel was perfect for a night in New Orleans. Right on bourbon street, clean, quiet, friendly, and very nice, it was refreshing to be able to walk in and out and be in the heart of the French quarter just by going through the doors, or escape the fray of bourbon st. in the comfort of your room or at the poolside bar.

Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Jake, thank you for your comments on our hospitable service team and relaxing ambiance. We greatly appreciate your taking the time to share this delightful feedback, and we are so pleased that the Royal Sonesta New Orleans was able to meet your expectations. Please revisit us next time you’re in the Crescent City!
New Orleans
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2014

Excellent location and great service. The water pressure could have been better but bathroom was ideal. The hotel is right in the middle of the action. I had the balcony view (Bourbon Street) which I wouldn't not recommend if you are looking for R&R. The streets get busy and loud at night. The city never sleeps; that being said, that is another interesting part that I enjoyed. Something was always going on during all hours of the night no matter the day of the week. I will definitely stay here again and aside from the noise; I would definitely do the balcony view again.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Sonesta

Latonya, thank you so much for choosing to stay at the Royal Sonesta New Orleans and taking the time to share this valuable feedback. Please know that an exciting hotel-wide renovation is planned for next year and will touch each room from top to bottom, including the plumbing. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay, and we look forward to welcoming you back soon!