“Right on Bourbon Street ...” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel packages
Ranked #28 of 155 Hotels in New Orleans
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Los Angeles, California
“Right on Bourbon Street ...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I stayed from Halloween night, Oct 31 through Nov 5. We arrived at around 3:30 pm and the room was not ready so they asked for my cell number, gave us two drink comps for the bar next door with our room keys, took our luggage and said to go relax, have a drink on them and they would call us when our room was ready. Two hours pass and no call. When we go back to find out the status we are given a different room, comps for 4 more drinks at the bar next door, and told they will bring our luggage up to our new room. It was a nice room. My only complaint is that there was no refrigerator in the room so we requested one that cost us $12.50 a day! For the price you get the location, right on Bourbon Street. If that is what is important to you, then this is the hotel for you! Otherwise ... Meh.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (828)
  • Turkish first
texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

Just spent a relaxing week at the Royal Sonesta on Bourbon Street, November 2013. We had stayed here before but had forgotten how nice it was. From the minute you walk in until you leave you are attended to from roses on the bed when you check in to turn down service in the evenings and delightful chocolate treats. Rooms are spacious and kept spotless with nice quality bed linens. Towels could be upgraded, first day 2 of the towels were nice but went down from there! Sitting on the balconies in the evenings is wonderful. All of staff were pleasant and helpful. Would be nice to have a coffee maker in room for late night tea or coffee, even though during the day PJ's in the lobby has excellent coffee. Can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: Higher floors are nice, better views. Rooms with Balconies street side tend to be noisier at night b...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Danvers, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2013

My friend and I took our first trip to New Orleans in October 2012. We stayed at The Royal Sonesta on Bourbon St. right in the middle of all the hoopla. We brought our costumes knowing that it was Halloween and New Orleans is known for putting on a big party. We were not disappointed. Bourbon St. is full of people young and old dressed up in costume. We had a ball.
The Royal Sonesta was a perfect choice of hotels. The hotel is close to everything. It had a wonderful restaurant, coffee shop, bar, and jazz club. When you walked through the doors into the hotel you would not even know you were on Bourbon St. The rooms are very nice and spacious and they have a very nice pool with a snack bar.

Room Tip: I would suggest an inside room away from the street. It is Bourbon St. after all!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Carterville, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2013

Spent two nights here on a business trip. Arrived at 2:45PM and room not ready yet but check-in was at 3. Gave the desk my cell # and left. Walked around the Quarter for awhile. Had a late lunch. Still no call. Went back to the desk, now 4:15. Room still not ready. Registration offered me a room fronting on Bourbon St instead of the "quieter" one that they had assigned me so I accepted the change. Little did I know that the club across the street would have loud music playing until 5AM stopping then to sweep out and restarting at 6AM. Good thing I can sleep through anything. It became apparent through observation that while checkout occurred at noon the cleaning staff was so unbelievably slow (or understaffed) that they were often still on the floors cleaning rooms for new arrivals at 6PM or later. Great old hotel. Rooms well appointed. In the midst of the Bourbon Street clubs and restaurants but expect to wait for some things while there.

Room Tip: If you want sleep make sure you are not on a room fronting Bourbon Street.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
tarzana ca
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013

Stay on the R level for the great service, open bar, breakfast, and the fun of being on a special level.

4 The gym opens late but that probably does not matter to anyone but me.

5 for the crazy Bourbon street location that is all safe and sound when you walk into the Royal Sonesta. the air-conditioning is the best I've ever had in a hotel. There is no hot tub but the pool is fresh and salt water instead of chlorine which is very nice and good for the skin.

4 for the fun medium sized rooms. Everything in the rooms was fitted just right and worked except for television that cut out a little but really! Get out of the room your in New Orleans ;)

4 Service is great with only one person early on the first morning that did nothing to help me find a gym. A simple Google search worried right away.

• Stayed November 2013
Richmond, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013

I took advantage of a Travelzoo special (essentially almost half price deluxe room & $50 restaurant credit) to spend a couple of midweek nights at the Sonesta. I was offered the Bourbon Street overlook or an interior courtyard and based on previous tips took, and was enormously thankful, for the courtyard. My room had balcony doors which opened out onto the 3rd floor so i could walk directly to the swimming pool. If I'd been on the balcony the noise would have been unbearable but in the courtyard, i didn’t hear a thing. The room was clean, nice, homely and had everything I needed. The free Wi-Fi is more than adequate unless you're a bandwidth hog for movies & gaming etc. I also ate at the restaurants hotel on Bourbon Street, Desire, and it the food was great. You can have a basic breakfast to go (coffee & breakfast breads) at PJ's in the lobby. The staff were all very friendly and efficient but I had a small problem when I checked out as they missed the $50 room credit and ran my card for all the food & drink. They quickly mitigated the problem re-imbursed me but this shouldn’t have been an issue in these days of computerized booking systems. However, this was just a small hiccup and I can't wait to return. This is my hotel of choice anytime I'm in New Orleans. You just cannot beat the location of being on Bourbon Street in an upper class hotel.
(If you drive and are looking for parking, the hotel charges $40 a night. I saved $20 a night by using one of the prepaid garages a block away and just walked a few minutes to the hotel.)

Room Tip: 1) As per everyone else, ask for a courtyard room versus nosity Bourbon Street. 2) Ask for 3rd flo...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
alabama
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

The problems began at check-in and continued throughout the stay. There are too many first class properties in New Orleans to choose from, so why take the risk of staying here. The only good thing that I will say is that the food was the highlight of our stay. The problems included only lukewarm water in our bath, incomplete room service orders, suite not ready at check-in, meeting room set up incorrectly for our meeting, and one of our group's VIP's given a parlor room and a roll-away instead of the king bedded room that was guaranteed for late arrival.

If you feel that you MUST stay on Bourbon Street when you visit the Big Easy, try another property.

Room Tip: Request in interior room.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Colleen M, Manager at Royal Sonesta Hotel New Orleans, responded to this review, November 22, 2013
We are sincerely sorry for the problems you encountered during your recent stay. As our exceptional reputation suggests, issues like the ones you described are isolated and very alarming to us. Please contact Katherine Jolivette, our Director of Guest Relations, by calling 504.553.2236 to further discuss your unsatisfactory experience. We appreciate your taking the time to write this review because your comments are so very important to our continued success.

Been to Royal Sonesta Hotel New Orleans? Share your experiences!