“Nice hotel overall...” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #24 of 154 Hotels in New Orleans
New Orleans, LA
“Nice hotel overall...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

I stayed here the other night and overall it was a nice experience, but maybe a few too many negatives to justify the price. First, the good: Lobby is beautiful, with lots of brass and marble and other posh, old-school touches. It's all very pretty, if a little run-down in spots, but having everything spotless and new but without character, as you find in more modern hotels, doesn't equal beauty to me anyway. The room was small, as was the bathroom, but very clean and attractively decorated - actually a bit plainer in style than what I expected from the way the lobby looked, but still quite nice. Check-in was fast and easy. My room had a little balcony overlooking Conti street - nice touch, although the "view" is nothing special. The bed was very comfortable, wonderful pillows and high-quality sheets. I had no trouble using the free Wi-Fi and it was fast enough for me. The noise that I've seen others complain about on here didn't bother me at all - although, granted, I stayed on a Monday night, not the busiest night on Bourbon St. The walls are a bit thin, and you can hear people coming and going in the hallways and toilets flushing in neighboring rooms. Still, it was all rather muffled and not enough to really bother me. You have to expect things like this in older hotels. Okay, now the not-so-good: Service was all over the place. Although check-in was fast, the attendants were not especially friendly - no smiles, no eye contact. And for a four-star hotel, their appearance and demeanor was a little less than professional, I felt. However, when I asked for a late check-out the next morning, the girl at the front desk did do this for me, which I truly appreciated. But she had a bit of an attitude about it, which I don't get, because it was only one hour extra, I asked very sweetly, and I am in every other way about the lowest-maintenance hotel guest you could ever want - I rarely if ever ask for anything extra or have any special requests. The bathroom overall was nice enough,(decent towels and toiletries, if nothing spectacular) but the shower was horrible - cheap-looking teensy showerhead with no water pressure.The guy who checks the mini bar banged on the door at 9 am to come in and inspect it...why so early when check-out isn't till noon? I was trying to get some much-needed sleep and didn't appreciate being woken up. He was actually nice and offered to come back later, but what was the point, he'd already woken me up. There is no coffee maker in the room - grrrr. I went to the coffee shop in the lobby and paid over $8 (!) for a bagel and a regular medium coffee, and service there was curt bordering on rude, the guy just seemed like he hated his job. And for a hotel of this caliber, would some free coffee and a few little pastries or something in the morning be too much to ask? Even cheapie motels offer that. Check- out took a loooong time, though to be fair, the couple ahead of me seemed very high-maintenance and had a bunch of issues to resolve, so I suppose the attendant was doing the best she could. In general, it was a nice stay, and I wouldn't have even brought up most of these issues - yes, I know they're fairly minor, but for the price of this hotel, you expect near-perfection.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Colleen M, Manager at Royal Sonesta Hotel New Orleans, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. We are very disappointed to read your observations of our sporadic service and we will be reviewing our service standards with our front desk and PJs staff. Your comments are very important and we take them seriously. We will take your feedback about the shower heads into consideration when moving forward with our renovation plans in 2014. Please know that in-room coffee makers are available upon request from our room service department. We wish to invite you back to experience the royal treatment that you are right to expect from the Royal Sonesta.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (793)
  • Turkish first
Atlanta, GA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013 via mobile

When I arrived on Sunday 6/23 I asked if there were any pool patio rooms available to be upgraded to, the front desk clerk told me "they don't do upgrades" in a rather stern tone, without having to pay an extra $50 a night, well if a hotel is not near sell out, why not upgrade a customer and make them happy? I was assigned a 5th floor room that has an odor of grilled food I would assume from the restaurant vent, another lady on the floor said the same thing in the elevator. The room reminds me of my grandmothers house circa 1975, outdated thermostat, furniture,and bathroom. It seems clean, but not visually appealing at all. For $130 a night on hotwire I was not expecting much, but if I was paying the normal $200+ per night rate I would have asked for a refund.

• Stayed June 2013
Mike, we are sorry to read that our front desk clerk and décor was not what you expected. We appreciate your feedback and please know that we take it very seriously. Last year we renovated the third floor guestrooms and plan to renovate the remainder of the hotel in 2014. Typically, Hotwire and other resellers only purchase standard rooms for their clients and, while we wish that we could provide complimentary upgrades to all of our guests, our interior balcony rooms are extremely popular and are rarely available complimentary. We hope to invite you back to experience the Royal Sonesta once again.
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

Usually we look at the names that we know, but decided to try this one after reading the trip advisor reviews. We were so glad that we went with this, the hotel is beautiful and has that lovely New Orleans feel. It was right in the heart of it, where you could step out onto Bourbon Street... I was worried at first that it would be too noisy (I didnt' realise Bourbon Street was so wild) but it was great, we had no problem. Highly recommend this hotel, really couldn't fault it.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Colleen M, Manager at Royal Sonesta Hotel New Orleans, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
We are so honored that you chose to stay at the Royal Sonesta rather than one of the more commonly known hotel brands. We’re happy that you enjoyed the location and found the hotel beautiful. On your future travels, we hope that you will consider one of our other Sonesta Collection hotels located throughout the United States, South America and Egypt.
Denton, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

My husband and I loved this hotel. The staff was amazing- helpful and friendly. The room was lovely with a fabulous bed, bedding, and every comfort you could ask for. (I especially loved the turn down service. The jazz upon return to our room was nice.) We loved our room service breakfasts every morning. The berries and pancakes are a must try! Our belongings were never disturbed at all and our room was kept perfect. We had a patio right on Bourbon St. and while you could hear some street noise it was certainly expected being a very busy street and I wasn't disturbed by it at all. I slept wonderfully.
It is steps away from fun shops and delicious food- PERFECT LOCATION. A very short walk to catch the trolley.
I can't think of one single negative. We loved it!

Room Tip: We stayed right on Bourbon with a balcony. I recommend it if you want a birds eye view of the going...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for choosing the Royal Sonesta for your vacation. We are so happy that our hospitable staff provided you with wonderful service and that you found your Bourbon balcony room comfortable and exciting. Please come back and visit us again the next time you are in New Orleans.
Champaign, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

We were there with a 21, 23 and 31. We got a double room for the two boys. It was wonderful! My husband, myself and daughter were in one of the 2-level suites. The air conditioner was not working right and the main level was freezing, while the upper level was quite hot. Several maintenance workers were trying to get it corrected, but they could not. One day, housekeeping did not even show up till after 4pm, and when my daughter answered the door (she wasn't feeling well) the maid just left towels and took off; not offering if we needed anything else. The sofa was a pull-out bed, but yet there was no bedding anywhere to be found in the suite. Overall, for the money, we were very disappointed. The location is great and the employees are friendly, but that did not make up for the overpriced suite.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Colleen M, Manager at Royal Sonesta Hotel New Orleans, responded to this review, June 22, 2013
Paula, we want to thank you for your feedback. We strive to deliver an exceptional guest experience and it’s apparent that in this case we fell short. We are working with our engineering staff to repair the air conditioning system in the guest suite that you stayed in at the hotel. The experience that your daughter had with our room attendant is regrettable and our Director of Housekeeping is addressing this report. We hope that in the future you will consider staying with us again so that we can have another chance to give you the royal treatment here at the Royal Sonesta.
St. Louis, MO
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

This was my fourth time down to New Orleans. I chose the Royal Sonesta due to Tripdavisor reviews, location and I really wanted that "New Orleans" experience over a more "mainstream" hotel. Got a good price ($199 with a $25 per day credit we used for parking) for a nice balcony room overlooking the courtyard.

We requested a non-smoking king room (I think the non smoking is hard to come by) and a courtyard balcony away from the Bourbon Street noise. We called a few days before arrival to reconfirm. When we arrived, they had us in a smoking room, but quickly rectified it. Our second room was well located, fourth floor overlooking the courtyard and away from the pool. I would guess this to be the quietest area, and we really enjoyed it.

The room itself is good sized, with a very comfortable bed, nice linens and robes to use. The bathroom is standard with a nice bowed out shower curtain and good bath products. Turndown service is nice, and includes two chocolates. The toilets are very loud, not only your own, but your neighbors. Also, during the weekend especially there are lots of rowdy guests, bachelor parties, slamming doors, screaming well into the wee hours, but hey, it's New Orleans.

The pool area is fine, but it's almost impossible to get a lounge chair on weekends. We didn't care, we just sat around the edge of the pool. Friday and especially Saturday the pool was rowdy, filled with mostly mid 20-ish tattooed boys getting drunk, doing cannon balls and generally being slightly to very obnoxious. Again, didn't care as it's New Orleans. BUT, Sunday by the pool was so nice, all the partiers were gone, we got chairs, it was calm and a whole different vibe.

Staff at the hotel extremely friendly and welcoming, especially the bartenders at the pool bar.

It is really an oasis in the middle of crazy. The lobby is so beautiful, with fresh flowers and no "Bourbon Street" smell, it feels so welcoming.

Small cons: The carpet in our room was dirty and stained, it needs a good carpet cleaning or really a replacement. Also, how do you get maids to take dirty glasses that we used for soda and wine over the weekend? They always just left them in our room.

Really enjoyed our stay, this is now our first choice in New Orleans and we will be back. I will probably stay during the week next time so it's a little less crazy.

Room Tip: If you want quiet, ask for a room overlooking the courtyard away from the pool.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for staying at the Royal Sonesta on your most recent visit to New Orleans and for your detailed comments. We are happy that you found our staff friendly and enjoyed your guest room and our lobby. Please know that in the coming year we are planning renovations which will replace carpeting. In addition, we are going to address the Saturday pool observation with our security department. We look forward to seeing you again in the future!
New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

Believe the reviews. This place is that good and then some. My wife an I stayed here June 6-10th for her 50th birthday. What a beautiful hotel. The service from the doorman, to the front-desk, to the bell-hops, and the R-club staff (and manager Darren?) was outstanding. We are glad we did the R-club which includes a nice breakfast buffet as well as happy hour (for 2 hours). We had quite the deal from Living Social that included coupons for the restaurants and jazz club. The pool was a great feature and something we took advantage of late in the afternoon after our adventures. The Desire Oyster Bar was a favorite of ours (2 nights). Try the grilled oysters and the crawfish Etouffe (sp?). The jazz club had some great talent. After spending the evening on Frenchman Street (quite good; walking distance), we came back and decided the Brass-aholics were the best act we had seen that entire night. The location is great -- we walked everywhere except for street car ride out to Commander's Palace (worth the ride). Will return with friends in tow (hopefully we get the great deal from Living Social again).

Room Tip: R-club -- away from the noise of Bourbon; breakfast and happy hour included plus concierge.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
We’re honored that you chose the Royal Sonesta for your wife’s 50th birthday celebration, and we’re thrilled that you enjoyed your stay on our 7th floor concierge level. It’s a pleasure to know how our hospitable team was able to make the occasion very memorable for you both. We can’t wait to see you and your friends next time!

Been to Royal Sonesta Hotel New Orleans? Share your experiences!